Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Lighting a cigar with matches
lovenhim 06:17 PM 08-15-2010
OK I understand that the butane torch is the default for most cigar smokers for day in and day out use. I see that some "old school" folks use and or prefer a wooden match. Why is this? What type/brand of wooden match and do you use many short ones or a long one such as a fireplace match? Where is a good place to buy them? I was thinking Wally's World.
[Reply]
GolfNut 06:25 PM 08-15-2010
Just make sure to let the sulfur burn off before lighting the cigar.
[Reply]
Brad 06:29 PM 08-15-2010
They make cigar matches, you won't find them at Wally World, try your local B&M. Don't bother wasting your time, or ruining a cigar, by trying to fire up a stick with regular matches.

You can use cedear spills to light cigars as well.
[Reply]
treatneggy 09:51 PM 08-15-2010
I wouldn't mind a source for decent cigar matches, my local B&M hands out ordinary matches.

I have the freebie matches from CI and Holts that they put in the packages, and my B&M hands out similar sized matches with Cuesta-Rey label on them, but I don't know how ppl light cigars with them. I tried to use them when I misplaced my torch lighter.

These things burn down to my fingers in no time and it took on average 4-5 of these matches for me to get a robusto lit and sometimes another 2-3 to even out the burn. If these are the same basic match that you would find at Wally-World then definately don't bother.
[Reply]
lovenhim 09:57 PM 08-15-2010
I found this on YouTube about how to light a cigar with matches. I found it rather interesting in a traditional sort of way. 3 match cigar light
[Reply]
dwoodward 09:59 PM 08-15-2010
When I misplace my torch I often just use Diamond matches... They work great.

http://media.rei.com/media/407243Lrg.jpg
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:01 PM 08-15-2010
I use wooden Diamond matches to light my pipes. I dont often light cigars with matches because its hard for me to get an even burn with them, and one small breeze and they're out.

As long as you're using wooden matches, you shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure you give it a second to burn off the sulphur/chemicals it has to ignite the match and you're good to go.
[Reply]
lovenhim 10:15 PM 08-15-2010
OK so in a nutshell, simple Diamond matches that are wooden like the link above are really all you need if you want to learn to light a cigar with matches. OK that is simple enough. :-) I will more than likely use a butane torch but I want to learn and check out options, who knows I may like and enjoy the process of using matches now and then. :-)
[Reply]
darkleeroy 10:19 PM 08-15-2010
To be honest, I see more "old school" folks using using Bic-type lighters than matches. The reason why people used wooden matches was similar to why they use butane lighters, because wooden matches didn't impart flavor, while Cedar strips imparted a wanted flavor.

Pipe smoker's use matches because the flame isn't hot enough to damage the Briar and cake.
[Reply]
lovenhim 10:26 PM 08-15-2010
Ahhh, that makes sense. :-) There is a lot to learn but also much that can cause confusion. :-) I am in that awkward starting out faze which will pass with time. I still need a cigar ashtray, butane for a lighter, you know the basics. :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:31 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by lovenhim:
Ahhh, that makes sense. :-) There is a lot to learn but also much that can cause confusion. :-) I am in that awkward starting out faze which will pass with time. I still need a cigar ashtray, butane for a lighter, you know the basics. :-)
I often miss those days. Cherish them!! lol
[Reply]
jaycarla 11:40 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
When I misplace my torch I often just use Diamond matches... They work great.

http://media.rei.com/media/407243Lrg.jpg
When at the home base I use them also and then use the torch to touch up if needed.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 02:28 AM 08-17-2010
I just use a Luchador to light my puro's!:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ4Qpf-3xPQ
[Reply]
Sam Tushing 09:54 AM 08-17-2010
I love Diamond matches! I use two Diamond matches at once, allowing them to burn for a moment or two before I light my cigar. There's a certain element that matches add to my cigar ritual...but only indoors! When I'm outside, I rely on the torch...matches are no fun at all in the breeze.
[Reply]
wayner123 09:55 AM 08-17-2010
OK I understand that the butane torch is the default for most cigar smokers for day in and day out use. I see that some "old school" folks use and or prefer a wooden match. Why is this? What type/brand of wooden match and do you use many short ones or a long one such as a fireplace match? Where is a good place to buy them? I was thinking Wally's World.
I think most "old school" folks that you see using matches are using them because that is what they are familiar with.

Davidoff makes their own cigar matches which are longer and made from spanish cedar. They are hard to find.

If you want to use a regular match, imo it's the same as using a soft flame. The St. Dupont's or any other soft flame lighter will provide the same experience.
[Reply]
Tredegar 10:00 AM 08-17-2010
I prefer using matches and find that the small Blue Diamond matches suck. Half the time they break or won't stay lit. But the regular kitchen matches are just fine. I have used torches but am not a big fan of them. Otherwise, I use a BIC.
[Reply]
ODLS1 10:07 AM 08-17-2010
I always smoke outside and typically use my butane torch lighter, however I got some wood matches free when I bought some cigars so I use those from time to time. It's been hit or miss with me. If there is any breeze at all they go out. Sometimes I will get it lit and going with one (yes the flame gets awful close to my fingers), but sometimes it takes 3.
[Reply]
lovenhim 11:31 AM 08-17-2010
Thank you for the help. I will be enjoying a cigar outside. I live with others so smoking in the house is out. So matches would not be a wise choice and would become annoying I think. I think the torch may be the way to go.
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:43 AM 08-17-2010
My preference for indoors:

Soft flame
Cedar strip lighting method
Torch flame

My preference for outdoors:
Torch flame
Cedar strip lighting method
Soft flame
[Reply]
ucla695 12:02 PM 08-17-2010
Thank you for the help. I will be enjoying a cigar outside. I live with others so smoking in the house is out. So matches would not be a wise choice and would become annoying I think. I think the torch may be the way to go.
Definitely! Especially on windy days.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up