Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>What should I try first?
lovenhim 12:38 PM 08-15-2010
Hello everyone. I was looking at my local smoke shop and I was talking with them about me being a newbie to cigars and they are offering me an interesting deal. They are offering me a Rothschild style cigar in either a natural or maduro wrapper in the brands of CAO, Hoya, or Punch. I can try any 1 of those three brands in a Rothschild style with one or the other wrapper on it. It would be a free sample. Now, which one do I choose?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:50 PM 08-15-2010
Sounds like you have a good shop. Punch Maduro Rothschild.

:-)
[Reply]
lovenhim 12:55 PM 08-15-2010
It is a small shop. It was a walk in humidor in the back that is about 15x20 in size. Now about a lighter, I read in the book called "The Complete Idiots Guide To Cigars" that it is ok to light a cigar with a Bic disposable lighter because it is butane. What they said was if a $1 Bic will do the trick you do not "need" a $50 blue flame torch. They also mentioned long wood matches to light a cigar.
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 01:08 PM 08-15-2010
Yes you definitely want butane in a lighter. Not sure if the $1 Bic is butane, but Walmart and Rite Aid sell a Ronson JetLite single flame torch lighter for around $3 and many BOTL's (including myself) swear by them. They are cheap and you rarely have issues with them. In a lot of Walmarts, they are sold in the tobacco aisle... mine sells them up front in a check out line that has all their tobacco products.

http://www.ronsonusa.com/jetlite.aspx
[Reply]
JaKaacH 01:11 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:

X2
Good Smoke

PM sent, I have a Ronson for you..
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:18 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:

[Reply]
T.G 01:31 PM 08-15-2010
Depends which CAO - they have a number of lines.

CAO's are a bit more complex than Punch & Hoyo. Whereas the Punch and Hoyos are more traditional and consistent. I personally wold probably take the CAO if it's a Brazilia or and Italia, but not too many of their other blends. A Hoyo Dark Sumatra would be another good one.

Not all butane is created equal. Bic's are fine, as they use very clean gas. Some of the other disposable lighters out there, eh, not so much. If using a wooden match, make sure you wait until the igniter chemicals have burned off completely from the tip. Oh, and some wooden matches are made from very soft woods that are full of sap and pitch and might taint your cigar's flavor. You'll know when you smell the match burning if it's going to be a problem.

There are some sub $5 torch lighters out there that aren't bad, just don't fill them with crap butane. And, for gods sake, never put scented butane in them.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 01:32 PM 08-15-2010
Got your PM. Ronson lighter should go out tomorrow.:-)
[Reply]
lovenhim 01:54 PM 08-15-2010
Crap butane? OK who make a quality butane for the Ronson lighter? I will see what my local smoke shop has. Now for a Zippo lighter they only carry Zippo fluid and not Ronsonol in the yellow bottle, so I wonder if they even carry butane. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 02:20 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by lovenhim:
Crap butane? OK who make a quality butane for the Ronson lighter? I will see what my local smoke shop has. Now for a Zippo lighter they only carry Zippo fluid and not Ronsonol in the yellow bottle, so I wonder if they even carry butane. :-)
Lava and Vector are good butanes. Both 5x times refined. Lucerne, Neon, Colibri, Ronson are all open to debate, and often are.

I don't know the names of some of the really crappy butanes, but you see them at gas station counters in little clear refill cans.

Zippo lighter fluid is good. Ronsonol is not. Ronsonol burns very oily, odorous and dirty. If you use a liquid fueled zippo to light a cigar, you would want to use zippo fluid as it burns much cleaner.

Ronsonol is good for removing glue and stickers though. :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 02:31 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
CAO's are a bit more complex than Punch & Hoyo. Whereas the Punch and Hoyos are more traditional and consistent. I personally wold probably take the CAO if it's a Brazilia or and Italia, but not too many of their other blends.
Yes! And the CAO Black is another fine beauty.

Originally Posted by T.G:
+ Not all butane is created equal.
+ Just don't fill them with crap butane.
+ And, for gods sake, never put scented butane in them.
Yes, Yes, and YES... I use Vector Butane the I ordered from CI. Its very clean.
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...2&stext=Vector

GL mate!
[Reply]
TripleF 02:57 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
Got your PM. Ronson lighter should go out tomorrow.:-)
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh boy, this brings back memories. This might sting loveinhim. :-)
[Reply]
lovenhim 03:39 PM 08-15-2010
OK explain, memories/sting? :-) My local smoke shop has Zippo butane in stock and they also sell the Zippo Blu butane lighters.
[Reply]
darkleeroy 03:42 PM 08-15-2010
I use a Bic for everything except the beach. None of the dozens (hundreds?) of cigars I light with a Bic, I couldn't taste anything. They are butane lighters. I do recommend a torch for the times when your smoking outdoors. Beach wind is not fun lighting a cigar in.

Although Zippo>Ronsonol, I have tasted zippo fluid when I've lit my cigars, if just faintly.

Finally I would go with either the CAO or Hoyo in Maduro. Neither of them are going to be overwhelming for a new smoker. And of the two, I would basically choose the prettier band of the two.

When I'm daring, I light my cigars with a Silva (Brunton) Helios Windproof Storm Lighter...
[Reply]
BTcigars 05:09 PM 08-15-2010
Check out Jetline lighters. Good quality and pretty inexpensive, about $20-$25 a lighter. It's more expensive than a Ronson but a lot cheaper than a Xikar.

Also, my vote is for a CAO :-)
[Reply]
Chingas 05:21 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:

PM sent, I have a Ronson for you..
:-). This is definitely a bad idea!!!
[Reply]
lovenhim 05:26 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by Chingas:
:-). This is definitely a bad idea!!!
OK I do not get the joke, what is a bad idea here? :-)
[Reply]
Chingas 05:28 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by lovenhim:
OK I do not get the joke, what is a bad idea here? :-)
Patience Brother. You'll find out soon enough, maybe...
[Reply]
lovenhim 05:34 PM 08-15-2010
LOL too funny. Hmmm now I am curious. Patience you say....I have that I just want it right now....thats all. :-) LOL
[Reply]
JaKaacH 06:43 PM 08-15-2010
I have already told him there would be a couple smokes along for the ride, so he can test drive the lighter.

DC# 9101 1288 8230 0279 0005 19
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up