Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>So I Won This Contest....
DropTheE 06:03 PM 08-16-2010
I had signed up over at SMOKE Magazine and I found out today that I get to be one of their reviewer guys for their next publication. How fun is that??

Has anyone on here got to do that before?? If so I would love to hear what you thought of it.

I guess that there are two things you could win, the review thing or a box of Avo Cigars. I can get Avo anytime so I am really looking forward to what I get to do. They will be getting in touch to give me directions.

What a cool Monday....BTW....my boss won a 400.00 driver online today. I told him we should be buying lottery tix. Darn it Wyoming, get with the program and get the lottery in here!! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:04 PM 08-16-2010
Congrats Dan...looking forward to your review. Do you know what stick you are reviewing? Do they send you the stick? Fill us in.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:04 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by DropTheE:
I had signed up over at SMOKE Magazine and I found out today that I get to be one of their reviewer guys for their next publication. How fun is that??

Has anyone on here got to do that before?? If so I would love to hear what you thought of it.

I guess that there are two things you could win, the review thing or a box of Avo Cigars. I can get Avo anytime so I am really looking forward to what I get to do. They will be getting in touch to give me directions.

What a cool Monday....BTW....my boss won a 400.00 driver online today. I told him we should be buying lottery tix. Darn it Wyoming, get with the program and get the lottery in here!! :-)
Dan,
I believe Eric (smokin5) also did the Smoke magazine thing.
[Reply]
DropTheE 06:10 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Congrats Dan...looking forward to your review. Do you know what stick you are reviewing? Do they send you the stick? Fill us in.
Thanks Mac!!
I don't really know yet, just from looking there is like 10 cigars each publication that are reviewed and it looks pretty anonymous- if you take a look at their website you will see what I mean. It's like panelist 1 and then some comments and then panelist 2 and so on. As I get more info I will keep updating the thread. So that would be cool if they send me some new cigars that I haven't got to experience yet. What fun!!

Originally Posted by pnoon:
Dan,
I believe Eric (smokin5) also did the Smoke magazine thing.
Cool, thanks Peter, I will send him a PM and ask. :-)
[Reply]
mariogolbee 06:16 PM 08-16-2010
Congrats! Sounds like a neat opportunity.
[Reply]
68TriShield 06:54 PM 08-16-2010
madurofan did it many moons ago.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 06:55 PM 08-16-2010
RevSmoke reviewed for SMOKE a couple years ago I believe.

Congrats!!!
[Reply]
Chingas 07:47 PM 08-16-2010
That's awesome Brother. Congrats and fill us in on the release of the mag.
[Reply]
Ogre 09:06 PM 08-16-2010
Congrats brother, sounds like fun.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:07 PM 08-16-2010
Congrats. Have fun doing the reviews. :-)
[Reply]
maninblack 09:18 PM 08-16-2010
Congrats Dan! Sounds like a great opportunity.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:33 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
RevSmoke reviewed for SMOKE a couple years ago I believe.

Congrats!!!
I was a reviewer for 3 issues back in 1999 - Summer, Fall, and Winter.

I did the summer and was asked to come back as a featured reviewer (w/my pic and brief bio).

Back then, you got 3-4 cigar in each baggie and the baggies were labeled "torpedo #5, robusto #52, etc... In other words, blind reviews. You didn't know what you were smoking and were given a format to follow, I still use the format when reviewing. If you want to see what it was like for me, and still used today - I gave out some cigars to 3 guys and had them use that format to review them. The thread is http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...d=1#post955948

Have fun! It is a great experience and opened my eyes quite a bit about what is a good smoke and because of the surprises when I found out what I had smoked, I learned not to come into things with a preconceived notion. Some cigars I never would have tried were really good - some brands that I thought would be stellar, turned out to be busts.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
dannysguitar 08:58 AM 08-17-2010
I did this for last years fall issue. It was a great experience, not to mention you get your picture and profile in their magazine. Have fun with it!

[Reply]
DropTheE 12:23 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
I was a reviewer for 3 issues back in 1999 - Summer, Fall, and Winter.

I did the summer and was asked to come back as a featured reviewer (w/my pic and brief bio).

Back then, you got 3-4 cigar in each baggie and the baggies were labeled "torpedo #5, robusto #52, etc... In other words, blind reviews. You didn't know what you were smoking and were given a format to follow, I still use the format when reviewing. If you want to see what it was like for me, and still used today - I gave out some cigars to 3 guys and had them use that format to review them. The thread is http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...d=1#post955948

Have fun! It is a great experience and opened my eyes quite a bit about what is a good smoke and because of the surprises when I found out what I had smoked, I learned not to come into things with a preconceived notion. Some cigars I never would have tried were really good - some brands that I thought would be stellar, turned out to be busts.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Thanks for the info Rev, I really am looking forward to it. I have really started to delve into deeper tasting and am finding it to be so much fun. I have even got to the point of associating the little hints with past senses and feelings that I remember as I am smoking. I really hope that they still do the blind testing, but either way it will just be a cool thing to do.

Be Blessed Brother -
[Reply]
Ranger_B 12:38 PM 08-17-2010
Dan that sounds pretty cool. Can not wait to hear how the review experience goes.
[Reply]
ucla695 12:58 PM 08-17-2010
Nice! Let us know how it goes.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 01:18 PM 08-17-2010
Very cool...definitely a great opportunity. :-)
[Reply]
BTcigars 03:39 PM 08-17-2010
Congrats on winning....I look forward to see your pic in the contributers section.
[Reply]
DropTheE 04:32 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by BTcigars:
Congrats on winning....I look forward to see your pic in the contributers section.
Do they do that?? Crap, I am going to send a picture of my dog..:-)
[Reply]
boom 07:40 PM 08-17-2010
Congrats Dan!!!!
[Reply]
Up