Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Lighting a cigar with matches
mosesbotbol 12:11 PM 08-17-2010
I use matches all the time. Don't think it matters the brand as long as you lighting just pure wood. Put the matches in the humidor for a slower light.
[Reply]
357 12:12 PM 08-17-2010
I started out with matches because I thought all butane torch lighters were expensive. Once I learned I could get a decent one (Ronson brand) at Wal-Mart for $3, I grabbed a handful of them. I rarely use matches now, but there is something unique about them. I guess they impart more of a historic ritual into the process of lighting.

The tricks to lighting with a match are to let the sulfur burn off first (the flare at the beginning), rotate while lighting, and learning where to hold the match in relation to the foot of the cigar. If it's too high you'll only light the top half of the foot. If it's too low you'll burn a hole in the wrapper and not light the end/foot of the cigar. I find about 1 inch below the foot is best, assuming the cigar is at a downward angle around 30-45 degrees. BTW, once you get the hang of it you should be able to light just about any cigar with a single wooden match (indoors of course).

:-)
[Reply]
357 12:13 PM 08-17-2010
I forgot, there are sulfur free matches around but they are more expensive and harder to find.
[Reply]
BTcigars 03:48 PM 08-17-2010
First off, paper matches are a no no. They have sulfur on the whole match to help it burn. There are some cigar matches like Davidoff and Zino. I dont care for the Zino and they look more like a novelty (Its a giant matchbook). The Davidoff's are great. If you light a match and then blow it out, you will smell the aroma from the wood. Very pleasing! These matches are made for cigars so they are long and the wood is qood quality....costs about $5 a box.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up