Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Zippo
sdoodle 10:03 AM 10-12-2014
So I'm just getting into cigars and I'm thinking about picking up a Zippo lighter since I've always been partial to them after years of seeing my Dad use one. I have heard that because of the fluid used in them Zippos can sometimes mess with the flavor of a cigar. Has anyone using Zippos noticed this? What is your go to lighter of choice?
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 12:16 PM 10-12-2014
You can get a Zplus insert that runs on butane and fits into the Zippo case. Best of both worlds...

As far as preferences in lighters, I'd use the search function. The debate goes on and on!
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 02:30 PM 10-12-2014
Try a Ronson jet lite it has the flip top like a Zippo but is butane. They're $3 or $4 at Walmart.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:16 PM 10-12-2014
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
You can get a Zplus insert that runs on butane and fits into the Zippo case. Best of both worlds...
I have 2 or 3 like this, like Bob said, best of both worlds.

The lighter fluid used in a traditional Zippo can impart a flavor to a discerning palate.
[Reply]
mjdx88 06:54 AM 10-13-2014
I'll add a + 1 for the Ronson. Spend the money saved on a nice cutter, humidor, cigars etc...
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:37 PM 10-13-2014
No on Zippo. Use a quality butane lighter. Torch or soft flame. Butane is odorless and tasteless, Zippo fluid is not.
[Reply]
STEVE S 01:26 PM 10-13-2014
The Zippo fluid can miss up the flavors in your cigar.
[Reply]
sdoodle 04:57 PM 10-14-2014
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba:
Try a Ronson jet lite it has the flip top like a Zippo but is butane. They're $3 or $4 at Walmart.
Thanks Michael I may have to give this one a shot.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 05:00 PM 10-14-2014
i use both the Ronson and I also have the Z insert for my Zippo. love them both but have been using the zippo more as of late.
[Reply]
sdoodle 05:07 PM 10-14-2014
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
i use both the Ronson and I also have the Z insert for my Zippo. love them both but have been using the zippo more as of late.
I think I may start with the Ronson and then work on changing up a Zippo with the insert. Thanks guys for the info. :-)
[Reply]
weems 08:03 PM 10-14-2014
Another +1 for the Ronson. I picked mine up at Walgreens for 3.99
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:38 PM 10-14-2014
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba:
As Michael mentioned, the Ronson Jet lighter is an inexpensive way to experience a butane lighter. You can always keep two or three on hand. Later, you can move up into something like a Blazer PB-207...
[Reply]
Brian D. 10:16 AM 10-15-2014
Another downfall of the Zippo fluid: After filling....well, don't put the thing in any pocket close to flesh until you're sure the residue has evaporated. By the time you notice the sting it gets painful too fast to stop the burn from occurring.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 10:24 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by Brian D.:
Another downfall of the Zippo fluid: After filling....well, don't put the thing in any pocket close to flesh until you're sure the residue has evaporated. By the time you notice the sting it gets painful too fast to stop the burn from occurring.
Quit over-filling Brian:-)
[Reply]
rr_coyote 09:49 PM 10-15-2014
I got a Thunderbird insert for my Zippo. Very nice, but soft flames usually don't do it for me.
Jet-Lite has been great. Even better after a few easy mods. Just too bad the tank is so dinky.
[Reply]
357 10:32 AM 10-16-2014
I'm another Ronson fan. For $3-4 you can't complain. They have a nice feel and are slim, making them easy to carry. Take the restrictor ring off and you get a nice flame. Their shortcoming is the small tank. I work around that by keeping 2-3 of them nearby.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 11:05 AM 10-16-2014
Originally Posted by 357:
I'm another Ronson fan. For $3-4 you can't complain. They have a nice feel and are slim, making them easy to carry. Take the restrictor ring off and you get a nice flame. Their shortcoming is the small tank. I work around that by keeping 2-3 of them nearby.
+1

Once you pickup your Jet Lite, there's a great Jet Lite mod thread around here somewhere. :-)
[Reply]
357 11:12 AM 10-16-2014
Also, don't use Ronson butane. It's crap. Any 5x refined brand should be fine. I use Vector since it's what my B&M carries. I've been smoking cigars for 10 years and I'm on my 2nd $6 can.
[Reply]
sdoodle 05:46 PM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by Brian D.:
Ouch! Guess that's why my Dad always wrapped his in a handkerchief for a bit after he filled it. Thanks for the warning.
[Reply]
sdoodle 05:51 PM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by ColdCuts:
+1

Once you pickup your Jet Lite, there's a great Jet Lite mod thread around here somewhere. :-)
Thanks Dave I'll search it out.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up