Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Peltier Unit
equetefue 09:12 AM 08-14-2014
Guys,

How hard would it be to add a peltier cooling unit to my cabinet? I would like to drop temp by like 10 degrees.
[Reply]
badbriar 01:17 PM 08-14-2014
Check out youtube - there is a great one with someone replacing the peltier unit - only took like 6 or 7 minutes. Good luck!

RR
[Reply]
equetefue 04:52 PM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by badbriar:
Check out youtube - there is a great one with someone replacing the peltier unit - only took like 6 or 7 minutes. Good luck!

RR
What's wrong with you Rob...link me brother. :-). :-)
[Reply]
mk05 05:40 PM 08-14-2014
Your cabinet came with a peltier? So the back has an element that drips the condensation down?
[Reply]
badbriar 08:21 PM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by equetefue:
What's wrong with you Rob...link me brother. :-). :-)
Doh! :-)
See if this works... Instructions are for Haier, but should be good for most any unit!

Go get'em! :-)

► 7:41► 7:41
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBhVS7GhCOM
Sep 3, 2010 - Uploaded by keninorlando9
Buy the cooler and heat compound here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&item ...
[Reply]
equetefue 07:14 AM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by mk05:
Your cabinet came with a peltier? So the back has an element that drips the condensation down?
It didn't come with one, but I'm exploring the possibility of adding one. It doesn't seem that hard as it looks; and I might be completely wrong here; that you just cut out a the cabinet to accommodate for the unit and plug it after ensuring is all sealed.

I guess my questions and what i'm trying to research is,
- Will humidity escape due to gaps within the peltier unit itself
- How much humidity will it create and how do I handle this; perhaps a drain tube?
[Reply]
shilala 09:47 AM 08-15-2014
Your cabinet isn't insulated. Drop it 10 degrees inside and the whole thing will sweat into a pile of sawdust. Even trying to insulate a cabinet that isn't designed for cooling is pretty much impossible.
The best way to cool it down 10 degrees is to put it in the basement or put it in a small room with an air conditioner. That'll create it's own set of problems, but I'm gonna assume it's a nice, tight cabinet that will handle the very low humidity of an air conditioned room.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:23 AM 08-15-2014
:-) Adding a cooling unit is impractical in an uninsulated cabinet. You cant just slap on a Peltier cooler and expect results. You would need to add several units depending on the size of your cabinet. Also, you would need heat sinks, temp controllers and probably some other hardware. You may want to talk to Bob Staebell at Aristocrat Humidors for some advice.

Also, Peltier units cool based upon ambient temperatures. They only cool from 5-7 degrees below ambient in the best case. :-)
[Reply]
montecristo#2 04:08 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Also, Peltier units cool based upon ambient temperatures. They only cool from 5-7 degrees below ambient in the best case. :-)
Is this true? Just wondering as my temp controlled Aristocrat has cooled more than 10+ degrees below my room temp on hot days. So on a day where it is 76-78F in the house, it is stable at 65-66F.
[Reply]
shilala 04:30 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by montecristo#2:
Is this true? Just wondering as my temp controlled Aristocrat has cooled more than 10+ degrees below my room temp on hot days. So on a day where it is 76-78F in the house, it is stable at 65-66F.
Yes, it's true. Depends on the unit and how it's used. Best case scenario is what you described. 10-12 degrees for a thermoelectric are design parameters. Usually they do about what Bob described. Ask them to give you 15 degrees and they run themselves to death and dump water all over the floor.
[Reply]
bobarian 08:29 PM 08-15-2014
I am pretty sure that Bob also over sizes his units for maximum efficiency.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 01:43 PM 08-16-2014
Originally Posted by montecristo#2:
It probably depends on the particular device. I had one hooked up once under a piece of glass. It created frost on the top surface. As mentioned, the cold surface will attract a lot of moisture that needs to be removed. Try this website: http://www.peltier-info.com/
[Reply]
badbriar 07:29 PM 08-18-2014
Edwin...
You could try this- get a wine cooler from Craigs List that is not cooling. Those go cheap! Buy a replacement peltier unit, install and see what gives. Couldn't lose much, if anything.
Research prices for different peltier unit models. Stick with the coolers that a have better part availability. You knew all that! Keep us informed on your research!
RR
[Reply]
badbriar 07:34 PM 08-18-2014
There's a Haier for $50 in Winter Park. Probably take $30
[Reply]
Up