Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 45 > Last »
Good Eats>Looking for opinions on a pellet grill
T.G 12:29 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I learned that Traeger sent their mfg operation to China ~5 years ago. Anyone purchase one recently? I like to buy US made wen I can. But if the quality is still there, I have no problem buying one.

I will look into Green Mountain, too.
Thanks, Mark.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have. They look great but a bit beyond my budget.
Posted via Mobile Device
Originally Posted by T.G:
Not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for but I think there's a company right in my area somewhere that makes pellet adapters here for Weber kettles (still built in the USA I believe).

I'll do some checking a bit later and get back to you.
Found it...

Stoven, in Citrus Heights (suburb of Sacramento).

http://www.thepelletbbqgriller.com/s...barbecues.html

Radio interview with the inventor/founder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8z2NjWEgDw

Not much info or reviews out there on these units. $350 for the stoven + $90 for a Weber 22.5"OTS - not sure how it directly compares or stacks up against the lowest cost Traeger. Doesn't seem to have advanced temp control, but I don't think the entry level Traeger does either.

I did see one comment on a bbq pellet forum about the hopper isn't very big, but I'm not sure of that person actually owns one to make the statements he does about how long the fuel lasts.
[Reply]
poker 12:33 PM 04-01-2011
A lot of awesome info here gents. Thank you so much!
[Reply]
pnoon 02:19 PM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Two or three times last year Traeger came through some of the local Costco stores on a roadshow and their grill prices were a few hundred dollars lower than the normal B&M store and online prices. They also had very good pricing on pellets - buy three at the already discounted Costco price, get one or two free, something like that. Plus, some of the Costco membership cards and amex cards have the % back at the end of the year on top of all that.

I'm not sure where to look to find out the roadshow schedule though, or if it's even been determined yet.
I'm working out in the back yard when my wife calls me from Costco. She says Traeger is there and quotes me prices. Holy crap. Based on size and cost, I was considering the Lil Texas elite. But Costco had the Texas for the same price as the Lil Elite bought elsewhere.

So I bought the Texas. :-) :-) :-) :-)

Pellets, normally $20, were $13.69.

Time to get in the game, Kelly. :-)
[Reply]
Aero95 02:57 PM 04-03-2011
Congrats Pnoon im sure you will be happy!
[Reply]
pnoon 02:59 PM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by aero95:
Congrats Pnoon im sure you will be happy!
I have no doubt, Aaron.
[Reply]
T.G 03:11 PM 04-03-2011
I'm working out in the back yard when my wife calls me from Costco. She says Traeger is there and quotes me prices. Holy crap. Based on size and cost, I was considering the Lil Texas elite. But Costco had the Texas for the same price as the Lil Elite bought elsewhere.

So I bought the Texas. :-) :-) :-)

:-)
[Reply]
txsmoke 06:31 PM 04-03-2011
I just got my first pellet cooker after years of using a stick burner. I bought a Traeger and am VERY happy with it!
[Reply]
CasaDooley 06:44 PM 04-03-2011

Peter, you wont regret it. Now fire that puppy up, toss on a heap of chicken wings, sprinkle liberally with Johnny Salt and experience pellet grill nirvana!:-)
[Reply]
smelly4tay 06:50 PM 04-03-2011

Awesome Peter!
[Reply]
markem 06:56 PM 04-03-2011

Congrats, Peter! Be sure to follow the seasoning directions carefully.
[Reply]
Prefy 10:17 PM 04-03-2011
Interesting thread I had never heard of these kind of grills before. I do most of my cooking in the summer over an open fire (when I'm home) which I assuming this type of grill is trying to emulate.

I might have to look into getting one of these because it's difficult to cook over a fire in an apartment (which is where I am all winter), that is without burning the whole place down:-)
[Reply]
poker 07:58 AM 04-04-2011

I'm all over it. Talked with June yesterday and she likes the idea. We'll be going to Costco this week for the Texas model. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 10:28 AM 04-04-2011

So I bought the Texas. :-) :-)

(fixed it for ya)
[Reply]
forgop 10:56 AM 04-04-2011
Slight threadjack, but I came across this smoker locally on craigslist. Any ideas if this is a good buy? Looks like it's an electric smoker from the very limited info I can find.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/2303149798.html
[Reply]
poker 11:07 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
Slight threadjack, but I came across this smoker locally on craigslist. Any ideas if this is a good buy? Looks like it's an electric smoker from the very limited info I can find.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/2303149798.html
Seems retail is around 995 with specs here:
http://www.bbq-home.com/smith_and_wesson_sws357.htm
[Reply]
forgop 11:13 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by poker:
Seems retail is around 995 with specs here:
http://www.bbq-home.com/smith_and_wesson_sws357.htm
Thanks-never came across that link. Looked like it was available at Sams Club at one point, but couldn't get any detailed specs/pricing info like this.
[Reply]
poker 11:16 AM 04-04-2011
From what I can gather, it appears it is made by Traeger
[Reply]
forgop 11:50 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by poker:
From what I can gather, it appears it is made by Traeger
Found a forum where a guy listed he had the S&W model and it is the exact same thing as the Traeger Professional. Overstock.com turned it up at $1,129.99 but it was sold out.

I think I'm on to something here.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:42 PM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:

(fixed it for ya)

I assembled and seasoned it today.
Tomorrow or Wednesday will be the first "cook".

I will try and remember pics tomorrow. She's a beauty.
[Reply]
Aero95 09:45 PM 04-04-2011
Can't wait to see the pics Peter.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 45 > Last »
Up