Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>La Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro
borndead1 03:04 PM 11-02-2011
Size: Club 5.75 X 47

Got this as a freebie from Famous. This is the first (and one of the only) LGCs I've ever smoked.

The cigar is very well constructed. Heavy in the hand. Strong, well-applied cap. I was expecting such a heavy cigar to have a tight draw, but the draw is absolutely perfect.

First few draws...typical STOGIE flavor. Strong tobacco, spice in the nose. The flavor then takes on a sweetness on the draw, spice and wood through the nose. Medium to full "strength".

About 1" in..."strength" has mellowed out a little bit and the cigar has taken on a distinct honey flavor. Burn is a bit crooked, needing frequent touch ups.

Around halfway...flavors are much the same, but the finish has taken on a flavor like old wood. It's a flavor similar to old "Clear Havana" cigars that I've tried.

About 2" left...sweetness returns big time. The flavor tastes almost like candy or fruit. Burn is still crooked.

I started tasting ammonia at around 1.5" so I let it die.

Final thoughts...pretty damn good smoke overall. This one was only 3 days off the truck, so I'd definitely try another with a bit of rest.
[Reply]
chaase321 05:30 PM 11-02-2011
I have had some LGC's and I love them...but never one of these. It sounds great though! I like getting away from the spicy cigars and having a sweet one now and then. Thanks for the review, it is going on my list!
[Reply]
Crownedone 07:37 AM 11-04-2011
I had one of these last friday while hanging out at my local B&M. It was a good smoke. I would like to see how it tasted after a 60-90 day rest in the humi so I will be revisiting it again.
[Reply]
LigaPrivadaT84 01:49 PM 11-06-2011
I love the Serie R and can't wait to try this among the other new blends LGC has came out with semi-recently. :-)
[Reply]
mariogolbee 02:25 PM 11-06-2011
Thanks for the review. I was curious about these. I really enjoy most of the NC LGC line. The Artesanos de Miami are extremely good. I had a fresh one (week old off of the table) once and it was divine. I look forward to eventually try the Retro!
[Reply]
cigardan 12:59 PM 11-07-2011
I've had a few of these and enjoyed them.
[Reply]
Up