Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 124 of 138
« First < 2474114122123124 125126134 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
CigarNut 02:31 PM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba:
In my experience online is cheaper. Try some samplers from places like cigarsinternational.com or famous-smoke.com If you have any problems with your shipment their customer service is usually pretty good.
You are right -- online is usually cheaper. However, if you have a local B&M, I would recommend supporting them -- not necessarily spending all your money there, but at least some of it.

For me it's always better to go to a local shop where I can talk to people (socialize), look at the cigars, etc. Basically, help them stay in business.

I know, often the people working at these stores know very little about cigars, but once in awhile you find someone who does know what they are talking about. The latter can make the experience that much better and worth your time.

If there is a local shop and you do not patronize them, then that one time when you really need a local shop (last minute cigar gift, etc.) then they might not be there for you...

Just my :-)
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 06:30 PM 09-10-2014
:-) I agree Michael. It is good to go to a B&M some times and I do on occasion when they are having events or if I know they have something that I want to try. B&Ms are great but financially I can't make many visits to B&Ms knowing I can stretch my dollar a lot more online. My wife has given me a cigar budget and it's not much. B&Ms are great if you can afford them. In a perfect world I would be a regular at a B&M and make all my purchases there. :-)
[Reply]
jeepster 09:23 PM 09-10-2014
I've been doing some research on tupperdors. Everything I see is saying to line it with old cigar boxes, or ceder. Is this really necessary? And what is the best method to control the humidity?

Last question. It says to calibrate some hygrometer. How do you do this? I haven't yet purchased anything to build one yet but I am wanting to here soon.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:30 PM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by jeepster:
I've been doing some research on tupperdors. Everything I see is saying to line it with old cigar boxes, or ceder. Is this really necessary? And what is the best method to control the humidity?

Last question. It says to calibrate some hygrometer. How do you do this? I haven't yet purchased anything to build one yet but I am wanting to here soon.
Cedar is not necessary.
You can control your humidity with beads or Boveda packs.
Calibration? Right here in a sticky thread.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ight=Calibrate
[Reply]
jeepster 11:40 PM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Cedar is not necessary.
You can control your humidity with beads or Boveda packs.
Calibration? Right here in a sticky thread.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ight=Calibrate
Perfect! Thanks you sir!
[Reply]
bimmerguy82 05:50 AM 09-17-2014
I just purchased a 9 bottle wineador. I usually use Drymistat tubes for my humidor. how many tubes do you think i will need to keep my wineador at 65-70% RH? I will also try to keep the temps around 65-66*F. I will probably only have roughly 25-50 sticks in there at a time.
It's roughly 6 cubic feet. Thanks
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:22 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by bimmerguy82:
I just purchased a 9 bottle wineador. I usually use Drymistat tubes for my humidor. how many tubes do you think i will need to keep my wineador at 65-70% RH? I will also try to keep the temps around 65-66*F. I will probably only have roughly 25-50 sticks in there at a time.
It's roughly 6 cubic feet. Thanks
Drymistat tubes are not be the best thing for a wineador. They simply release moisture until they dry out and do not absorb excess moisture (humidity). They can be effective in wooden humidors because they tend not to seal as well and the wood also absorbs moisture. However, even in a wooden humidor the Drymistat tubes tend to over-humidify.

Wineadors tend to seal very well, so you need a humidification device that will both absorb and release moisture as needed.

The other thing is that wineador cooling units come in two models: compressor or thermoelectric. The compressor models can cause spikes in RH when they cycle on. This is not a bad thing, but it is something to be aware of.

In any case, I would recommend something better than a Drymistat tube for humidification. I obviously have a bias, but beads would be a much better choice; either Heartfelt Beads (www.heartfeltindustries.com/) or HCM Beads (www.cigarbeads.com/). Just my :-)
[Reply]
bimmerguy82 09:32 PM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Drymistat tubes are not be the best thing for a wineador. They simply release moisture until they dry out and do not absorb excess moisture (humidity). They can be effective in wooden humidors because they tend not to seal as well and the wood also absorbs moisture. However, even in a wooden humidor the Drymistat tubes tend to over-humidify.

Wineadors tend to seal very well, so you need a humidification device that will both absorb and release moisture as needed.

The other thing is that wineador cooling units come in two models: compressor or thermoelectric. The compressor models can cause spikes in RH when they cycle on. This is not a bad thing, but it is something to be aware of.

In any case, I would recommend something better than a Drymistat tube for humidification. I obviously have a bias, but beads would be a much better choice; either Heartfelt Beads (www.heartfeltindustries.com/) or HCM Beads (www.cigarbeads.com/). Just my :-)
Thanks CigarNut, I actually looked into Heartfelt beads last after night after searching more on the forum, but they are out of stock on the bigger bead bundles. :-) So I'll have to wait on that. My wineador is a thermoelectric, so spiking shouldn't be an issue. My wineador is about 2,800 cubic inches so I'll need a few beads. thanks for the info. Cheers
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:56 PM 09-18-2014
I would, personally, go with the Shilala's beads that CigarNut has linked on his reply :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 09:03 AM 09-22-2014
Not a beginner, but I forgot what they are and I want to explain them to someone, can somebody tell me the "Rules Of 3" again please?
[Reply]
bobarian 03:16 PM 09-22-2014
"Three strikes, you're out."

"Three times a Lady" :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 03:35 PM 09-22-2014
In any extreme situation you cannot survive for more than:

3 minutes without air - 3 hours without shelter (extreme heat or cold)

3 days without water - 3 weeks without food.

:-)
[Reply]
markem 04:20 PM 09-22-2014
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Not a beginner, but I forgot what they are and I want to explain them to someone, can somebody tell me the "Rules Of 3" again please?
The Rule of Three is a reference to an opinion that there is a specific and inviolable rule as to the aging of cigars. It is mentioned on CA as a very sarcastic reference to the person who "made this rule". There is no rule of three and to try to articulate it would be tantamount to encouraging a very naive approach to cigars that no one here should fall prey to.

In short - it's a joke and do not give it any credence whatsoever.
[Reply]
Byaah 08:13 AM 10-20-2014
Do we have any place we chat at in more of a live manner? Such as google hangouts or some chat room esq thing.
[Reply]
Dude Here 09:19 AM 10-20-2014
I think there are a couple of Facebook groups or something like that. I'm not on the book of faces so I really couldn't tell you for sure.
[Reply]
Chris. 09:23 AM 10-20-2014
A couple of years ago there was something, but I have long since forgotten where/what it was. Might have even been long before CA, back before puff came around...
[Reply]
catdaddee69 05:46 PM 11-12-2014
Yes im new to this site ,got a couple questions if ok? I been smokin for.quite a few yrs though has become very addictive as of this yr...I smoke alot of natural line by De..and like em alot...the acid line is too much like incense to me...questions...I like sweet caps such as baccarat,and Nicaraguan sweets I would like to know some other non infused sticks w sweet cap?I am also curious az to candela wrapped sticks....what would b some good choices there? Thanks in advance for any help
[Reply]
chooglin 05:24 PM 12-04-2014
Where did the cc reviews go. I like to read them. Thanks.
[Reply]
Alewis1983 11:32 PM 12-13-2014
Hi Guys,

A newbie's quick question, could you please identify whether this is a mold or a bloom?

Thanks in advance
Attached: image.jpg (58.6 KB) 
[Reply]
T.G 11:47 PM 12-13-2014
Mold. Sorry.

Not serious, damaging or dangerous though. Brush it off and lower your storage humidity, you might need to leave the box open for a bit and you'll be fine.
[Reply]
Page 124 of 138
« First < 2474114122123124 125126134 > Last »
Up