Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 31 of 199
« First < 21293031 32334181131 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
naamanf 02:02 PM 04-27-2010
William Larue Weller and George T. Stagg from the BT Antique Collection.
The Thomas H. Handy if you like ryes from the same collection
Parker's Heritage 27
PVW 15/21/23
For a less expensive one try the Noah's Mill Creek

Of that list the WLW or PH 27 are my favorites.
[Reply]
alwayslit 02:05 PM 04-27-2010
Knob creek is my go to for bourbon.
[Reply]
wayner123 09:51 AM 04-28-2010
I know this thread has more of a purist tone to it, but when mixing bourbon, which do you reach for?

The reason I ask is with the Derby coming up, I will be making some mint julep's. Right now I only have a few sipping bourbon's and not sure I want to use them for the juleps. However, cheap bourbon usually means a cheap tasting mix drink as well. What are your thoughts?
[Reply]
Tripp 09:59 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I know this thread has more of a purist tone to it, but when mixing bourbon, which do you reach for?

The reason I ask is with the Derby coming up, I will be making some mint julep's. Right now I only have a few sipping bourbon's and not sure I want to use them for the juleps. However, cheap bourbon usually means a cheap tasting mix drink as well. What are your thoughts?
For juleps, I like Bulleit!
[Reply]
pnoon 09:59 AM 04-28-2010

As with any cocktail, a higher quality liquor produces a better drink, IMO.
Would you use a $200+ bottle for cocktails? Of course not. But any high-end bottle, say < $50, wll make a much better drink than the standard well booze. :-)
[Reply]
wayner123 11:26 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
As with any cocktail, a higher quality liquor produces a better drink, IMO.
Would you use a $200+ bottle for cocktails? Of course not. But any high-end bottle, say < $50, wll make a much better drink than the standard well booze. :-)

I agree.

I have been reading some on the subject and it seems the better Bourbon's to use are the more woody, spicey ones than the sweeter ones to account for the sugar added in the julep. That sounds good to me, and gives me another reason to go buy some woodier bourbon's. :-)
[Reply]
Parshooter 09:37 AM 04-30-2010
My rule of thumb is that I won't use a liqour to mix with that I wouldn't drink straight (I rarely drink a mixed drink though). That being said, I would probably use Bulleit or Jim Beam to mix with.
[Reply]
76GTFan 12:40 PM 04-30-2010
Just picked up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee. Usually go with Bulleit. I am the type who won't pay over 40 bucks for a bottle unless the occasion calls for it. Hope I chose well.
[Reply]
wayner123 02:06 PM 04-30-2010
Originally Posted by LORD PUFFER:
Just picked up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee. Usually go with Bulleit. I am the type who won't pay over 40 bucks for a bottle unless the occasion calls for it. Hope I chose well.
I have a bottle of this. It is on the sweeter end of the spectrum, but somehow it's also on the harsher end as well. The balance of sweet and smooth is not there.

BTW, this is the exact bourbon I am thinking of using in the mint julep.
[Reply]
Montano 08:43 AM 05-01-2010
Picked this up yesterday:

[Reply]
Mikey202 11:30 AM 05-02-2010

Knob Creek and ginger ale is my go to drink of choice.
[Reply]
hsmartin 10:30 AM 05-03-2010
If you like rye or 'wheatier' / sweeter bourbon's, do try Bulliet. It is moderatley priced, and outstanding.:-)
[Reply]
p@rick 01:51 PM 05-03-2010
Just found the tread and I gotta say, I am all in. I love Bourbon. A few of my staples in my cabinet are:
Elijah Craig 12 yr
Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare 10yr
Ezra B 12yr
Old Weller 107
Evan Williams 1999
Bullit

I tell you now, my absolute cigar/whiskey combo: Elijah Craig 12 year and a Joya de Nicaragua Antano Gran Consul.
[Reply]
Montano 04:13 PM 05-13-2010
Today's goodness:

[Reply]
Montano 03:50 PM 05-21-2010
For the weekend :-)

[Reply]
tenbaseg 10:25 AM 06-05-2010
I was visiting my parents in Kentucky and visited Makers Mark on the Bourbon Trail. It was my first time tasting it and I really liked it. Now I'm ready to sample a few others. Any suggestions for a newb?

I also got to dip my own bottle while I was there. It was kind of a cool experience being able to dip and take the bottle home.
[Reply]
jrw 06:43 PM 06-09-2010
I hope this hasn't already been posted, but it didn't appear in a search.

A new bourbon created by Maker's Mark: Maker's 46. I'm going to look for it.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...neN2QD9G6K51G0
[Reply]
Patrick B 10:24 PM 06-09-2010
Originally Posted by Montano:
Picked this up yesterday:

Getting one tomorrow! :-) Love this stuff.
[Reply]
Patrick B 10:26 PM 06-09-2010
Originally Posted by tenbaseg:
I was visiting my parents in Kentucky and visited Makers Mark on the Bourbon Trail. It was my first time tasting it and I really liked it. Now I'm ready to sample a few others. Any suggestions for a newb?

I also got to dip my own bottle while I was there. It was kind of a cool experience being able to dip and take the bottle home.
You should try 1492, Woodford's Reserve, Blanton's, and Booker's, to name a few. There are so many good ones out there...
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:01 AM 06-10-2010
Originally Posted by tenbaseg:

One of the recommendations that I received (many times) was the Evan Williams Single barrel and I highly recommend it too.
[Reply]
Page 31 of 199
« First < 21293031 32334181131 > Last »
Up