Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Fresh Rolled Cigars?
smitty81 12:32 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate:
The AJ Fresh Rolled cigars are one of the best cigars you can get for the money.
Well worth it. I am burning through a bundle of coronas and plan on buying more.
Do not hesitate!!!!!

Also, the Perdomo fresh rolled are great too.
Ok, thanks.
so are these actually a fresh rolled cigar and I should smoke them all right away or would I be ok to store them?
[Reply]
DaBear 12:49 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
Ok, thanks.
so are these actually a fresh rolled cigar and I should smoke them all right away or would I be ok to store them?
You should be fine storing them. I'm assuming the 'fresh rolled' just means these bad boys were rolled and then sent out almost immediately.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:14 PM 04-11-2012
RG Lonsdales boxes have something written about fresh cigars. I think they say within 2 months or after one year. Don't have a box in front of me to look at.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:31 PM 04-11-2012
IMHO, none of the products mentioned above would qualify as being "fresh-rolled", and that nomenclature is meant as a marketing tool rather than an apt description. If this is the case, they should be fine to smoke at once, or at least after a brief rest from the shipping shock ROTT.

As for what I would consider to truly be freshed-rolled cigars, it is my understanding that they should either be smoked immediately or left to age for at least 6 months. "Fresh" tobacco , even that which has been aged before the rolling process, needs to gas out ammonia, and for a time this will adversely affect the taste of the product. Once that ageing period has passed, the cigar should recover most of its initial taste, and may even improve, much like a fine wine, with proper storage.

That's my :-) , and probably worth every penny.
[Reply]
jluck 03:37 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by The Poet:
IMHO, none of the products mentioned above would qualify as being "fresh-rolled", and that nomenclature is meant as a marketing tool rather than an apt description. If this is the case, they should be fine to smoke at once, or at least after a brief rest from the shipping shock ROTT.

As for what I would consider to truly be freshed-rolled cigars, it is my understanding that they should either be smoked immediately or left to age for at least 6 months. "Fresh" tobacco , even that which has been aged before the rolling process, needs to gas out ammonia, and for a time this will adversely affect the taste of the product. Once that ageing period has passed, the cigar should recover most of its initial taste, and may even improve, much like a fine wine, with proper storage.

That's my :-) , and probably worth every penny.
:-)
[Reply]
Hem 04:52 PM 04-11-2012
They roll em fresh down here in Tampa on the streets...some good some bad. More of an impulse buy than anything else...especially after a few drinks! I've always enjoyed them. Just something cool about watching a guy roll you a cigar and lightin' her up right after.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 08:51 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
Close by in downtown Chucktown, Lianos Dos Palmas rolls 'em fresh daily. They're great as soon as the pectin dries.
I just noticed this thread, and you beat me to the punch! These are ALL rolled with tobacco that is at least 4 years aged (per the owner). I've smoked them fresh from the roller on two different occasions in the shop. Both were given to me by the owner, who sat and smoked one with me on both occasions. Both were excellent. Next time I'm in Charleston, it's a sure bet I'll be smoking my third one fresh outta the blocks!!
[Reply]
Stinky 10:17 PM 04-11-2012
Fresh rolled to me is smoked within the first 30 days. Then, the aging process begins. sometimes it's a month, maybe 2 or 3 or more before they go into the "Sick Period" which is a "No-Smoke" period. The 'sick-period' is usually less than one year. Then, it's a cigar worth smoking, again. Smoke them FRESH or wait until they're ready (after the 1-year period). Fresh Rolled is a unique experience. Try it! Keep some for the one-year plus in your humidor and smoke to compare. You'll see. Cigars change with age. This "Fresh-Rolled" aspect is a great taste test.

Here's my opinion:
I'd like to see more cigar manufactures stamp the box with the "ROLL" date! Like the guys do in Cuba. Good idea! ??
[Reply]
bobarian 11:06 PM 04-11-2012
IMHO, "fresh rolled" in the parlance of most US catalogs means absolutely nothing. It is merely a marketing gimmick, like any of the other descriptive terms they use loosely.

Consider that it may take 30 days or more after a cigar is rolled on the table until the entire order is ready to ship to the US warehouse. Shipping time and customs clearance may take another 30 days or more. Catalog printing lead time of 30 more days(probably more) and then processing and shipment of your order. Under ideal circumstances a "fresh rolled" cigar is at least 100 days or more off the table. And that is assuming that you receive the stock last into the warehouse. Most companies ship first in, first out, so you would be receiving stock from their previous shipment. :-)

Unless you saw it come off the rollers table, good luck with "fresh rolled" :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 06:37 AM 04-12-2012
I had no idea aging begins after a cigar is rolled. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:55 AM 04-12-2012
I have had fresh rolled cigars a few times. Once at a Don Pepin cigar event where Don Pepin and friends were rolling cigars. They were fantastic -- but mostly because of the whole event ambience.

The other only truly fresh rolled cigars I have had are from a roller at Sosa Cigars (Downtown Disney, Orlando). The roller is there Friday and Saturday afternoons. The cigars are pretty good for what they are.

If you did not see it being rolled, then it's not "Fresh Rolled"...
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:58 AM 04-12-2012
I was at a Symantec sponsored dinner party once and they had a cigar roller there. The cigars weren't bad. Excellent construction, but very mild. I find that fresh rolled cigars are often well crafted, but it comes down to the blend.
[Reply]
maninblack 03:14 PM 04-14-2012
Cigar.com has AJ Fernandez fresh rolled for 39.99 shipped. Toro sized. Mazos of 20.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up