Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
All Cigar Discussion>Is it me?
shilala 01:58 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by lenguamor:
The skill of a blender shows in a blend which allows many flavors to come through the smoke; nuanced, bold...mingled, separate—every flavor change is pure joy for me, like opening one present after another on Christmas. No flavor has to be "greater" than another, just so that all can have their moment. That to me is a perfect cigar; Punch Ninfas and PLPCs give me that...the HU Mag 50 ELs I smoked ROTT after their release too. And that Oliva. :-):
I didn't mean that question to be cigar specific, but you worked right through the confusion to the answer I guessed you'd give me.
I keep tons of cigars that take me on that trip, because that's what I like from a cigar. I get that from a PLpc, as well. You should try a Hoyo du Gourmet, you'd die twice, my friend. :-)
I've not tried a Punch Ninfa, it's one of those cigars that's managed to elude me for lots of years. If I ever stumble across a box, I'll definately gather them up.
Punch RS 11's deliver the same kind of morphing, twisting, changing experience, and so do Old Henry maduros with a couple years.
There's not an Oliva that I've found worth smoking ROTT. They all need a year to air out, so far as I'm concerned. After 2-3 years, they get REAL good and they stay there. That blue band isn't an anomaly with Oliva, it's the rule. Their stuff ages fantastically.
[Reply]
Skywalker 01:58 PM 04-03-2012
It's you!:-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:01 PM 04-03-2012
By the way Scott, MJ and I had the Short Story Maddies. I was incredibly underwhelmed by that one as well. Didn't do a doggone thing for me.

For the record, I love spice, love pepper, love a strong cigar. I have some JJ Maduros that are incredible. I love the DPG Black, especially the Perla.

Oh, and I thought the blue cloth banded Oliva I had was also disappointing.
[Reply]
Ogre 02:05 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
By the way Scott, MJ and I had the Short Story Maddies. I was incredibly underwhelmed by that one as well. Didn't do a doggone thing for me.

For the record, I love spice, love pepper, love a strong cigar. I have some JJ Maduros that are incredible. I love the DPG Black, especially the Perla.

OK, I change my opinion. ITS JUST YOU!!!!
[Reply]
lenguamor 02:05 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
I didn't mean that question to be cigar specific, but you worked right through the confusion to the answer I guessed you'd give me.
I keep tons of cigars that take me on that trip, because that's what I like from a cigar. I get that from a PLpc, as well. You should try a Hoyo du Gourmet, you'd die twice, my friend. :-)
I've not tried a Punch Ninfa, it's one of those cigars that's managed to elude me for lots of years. If I ever stumble across a box, I'll definately gather them up.
Punch RS 11's deliver the same kind of morphing, twisting, changing experience, and so do Old Henry maduros with a couple years.
There's not an Oliva that I've found worth smoking ROTT. They all need a year to air out, so far as I'm concerned. After 2-3 years, they get REAL good and they stay there. That blue band isn't an anomaly with Oliva, it's the rule. Their stuff ages fantastically.
I believe we can fix that. :-):

And I haven't tried a Le Hoyo that I haven't liked, Scott. I have a box of '00 du Maires that I value like gold.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:06 PM 04-03-2012
I get bored easily. I love golfing, hate watching it. Love to play baseball, bored to death in the stands. I don't need a movie with lots of action, but it has to keep my interest.

Maybe this is all tied together?
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:10 PM 04-03-2012

Originally Posted by Ogre:
OK, I change my opinion. ITS JUST YOU!!!!
Of course, there could be another explanation with that one - it was just 1 cigar, and it was a bad one. Ask MJ to chime in here. There was a metallic tast to it, even set off my fillings (you know, like when you touch aluminum foil to a filling).

I remember having a problem with not liking that cigar. I love Oliva Vs, so this should have been right up my alley.

Of course, that's one cigar I'd be willing to take a bullet for the team and try again. :-)

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
lenguamor 02:11 PM 04-03-2012
I get bored easily. I love golfing, hate watching it. Love to play baseball, bored to death in the stands. I don't need a movie with lots of action, but it has to keep my interest.

Maybe this is all tied together?
I'm much the same way about most of that. Maybe there is something to it.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:14 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by maninblack:
My palette has changed so much, just in the last year alone. That's why I sell off those
Smokes that used to wow me. That's the great thing about this hobby. Always new smokes being made for our changing palettes.
I'd hang on to them. I got kind of tired with Punch 2X Maduro Rothschilds, didn't do anything for me anymore. Let them sit about 6 years in the humidor, went to try one - almost finished the rest of the box. And nice thing about them, they hadn't changed a whole lot in the aging process.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:16 PM 04-03-2012
I've not tried a Punch Ninfa, it's one of those cigars that's managed to elude me for lots of years. If I ever stumble across a box, I'll definately gather them up. Punch RS 11's deliver the same kind of morphing, twisting, changing experience, and so do Old Henry maduros with a couple years.
Oooo, I haven't tried one of those either. Can you fix me too? :-) :-)
[Reply]
lilninjabuddy 02:25 PM 04-03-2012
Its crazy how a palate can be affected by stress, situation, and personal taste.

I don't like too much spice, I want to taste the tobacco. I've learned to stay away from too much ligero, and I've definitely gotten into cigars with less strength. But I absolutely adore the LP 9. I didn't care much for the T52, and I've had it in several sizes including the Flying Pig, so that was dissapointing. The Undercrown I found amazing. Then the next one was blah. Then the next one was decent. Now I do find somewhat boring, but it has tastes I enjoy. They're kind of like breakfast cereal. I may not want cheerios for dinner, but I can eat them every single morning without fail and never really get tired of them.

But it's not just you. I've really learned that "powerhouse" cigars are not really that good. They're like having food slathered in hot sauce, you can't really taste the food at all.
[Reply]
lilninjabuddy 02:25 PM 04-03-2012
Oooo, I haven't tried one of those either. Can you fix me too? :-) :-)
Never tried one? I've never even heard of it before!
[Reply]
shilala 02:27 PM 04-03-2012
Of course, there could be another explanation with that one - it was just 1 cigar, and it was a bad one. Ask MJ to chime in here. There was a metallic tast to it, even set off my fillings (you know, like when you touch aluminum foil to a filling).

I remember having a problem with not liking that cigar. I love Oliva Vs, so this should have been right up my alley.

Of course, that's one cigar I'd be willing to take a bullet for the team and try again. :-)

Peace of the Lord be with you.
I smoked one short story maddie. I chucked it. That's why mine are all sitting in the humi. They aren't ready.
I tried a V4. I chucked it. See a pattern here?
I have different batches of Oliva Blue bands. I think I know which one Joe's came from, but I have no idea what batch yours came from. I've also gathered a lot of singles along the way. I just don't know the line of the one you smoked.
I need to get you a paper blue from a proper box and a silk after I've checked these latest ones out. What I really need is a cigar secretary.
[Reply]
shilala 02:32 PM 04-03-2012

And I haven't tried a Le Hoyo that I haven't liked, Scott. I have a box of '00 du Maires that I value like gold.
I've eyeballed some fresh du maires, I know I'd like them. I can only guess how these du gourmet's would smooth out with time. Right now they're fantastic, but they're a bit wet and like to go out on me. I've thought that since I'm smoking mainly cc's I should bring down my big humi to 60%, I just haven't done it. I'm not excited about waiting a year till things straighten out from that big a change, ya know?
I think you and I should do a ninfa/blue band swap. I have the bold orange silk O's that John likes, too. I'll send you a pic...
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:42 PM 04-03-2012
I smoked one short story maddie. I chucked it. That's why mine are all sitting in the humi. They aren't ready.
I tried a V4. I chucked it. See a pattern here?
I have different batches of Oliva Blue bands. I think I know which one Joe's came from, but I have no idea what batch yours came from. I've also gathered a lot of singles along the way. I just don't know the line of the one you smoked.
I need to get you a paper blue from a proper box and a silk after I've checked these latest ones out. What I really need is a cigar secretary.
Had a V4 that was phenomenal ROTT. I have had 2 more since then that were excellent.

I cannot tell you which batch of blue bands it was. As I look back, I am not sure I can even tell you where it came from. I thought I had it recorded, but...
[Reply]
shilala 02:48 PM 04-03-2012
I see we both need cigar secretaries. :-)
I've come across some blue silks that were so shrunk up that the bands literally fell right off. The best ones are uncelloed and have a bit of mold on them from years gone by.
I only have a couple boxes of V4's, if you see some more, let me know, will ya? I'd like to put at least one or two more boxes up.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 04:03 PM 04-03-2012

Ain't dat 'da sad truth! I am thinking my Blue O came from Volt a while back. If not him, then from you. I got one each of the red and blue robustos.

I've come across some blue silks that were so shrunk up that the bands literally fell right off. The best ones are uncelloed and have a bit of mold on them from years gone by.
I only have a couple boxes of V4's, if you see some more, let me know, will ya? I'd like to put at least one or two more boxes up.
Yes, the band on this blue was very loose.

I saw some V4s the other day, but I just looked again and they are gone. They don't stick around very long.
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:10 PM 04-03-2012
If I get to "keep an eye" on your sticks...I'll take the job Scott. :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:22 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
If I get to "keep an eye" on your sticks...I'll take the job Scott. :-) :-) :-)
Notice whose cigars he wants to keep an eye on? Not mine! But yours. Guess he knows what's what. He knows that he could embezzle from your stash and hope to remain unnoticed. In my case, that wouldn't be so.

You going to let him call you feeble-minded like that?

Wow, Mac... Pretty rude!
[Reply]
OLS 05:23 PM 04-03-2012
Yes, it IS you. But like you said in your famous quote, it's really all about you to begin with. Smoke what YOU
like. What turns one smoker on is not guaranteed to turn YOU ON. A well-known aircraft mechanic in Washington State was
overly kind to me and sent me a large selection of the Liga type stuff, a pig, a few various 9s, and some other similarly-
styled cigars. I didn't get it. They were strong but not necessarily interesting. Someone might get some flair
out of em, but I couldn't get past the power to find the taste. And maybe it wasn't even there. Maybe I WAS more
sophisticated after 20 years of cigar smoking. Maybe I had better taste buds than I thought....or much worse.
Tastes change. Embrace what you like and leave the rest to others.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up