Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Are these cigars salvageable?
sevans105 08:19 PM 04-02-2012
Got these guys in a trade today...I think these two decided to commit suicide on the way. Any way to save them?

Thanks guys!
[Reply]
pnoon 08:21 PM 04-02-2012
It never hurts to try.
But I would say yes to the top one and no to the bottom one.
:-)
[Reply]
Ogre 08:33 PM 04-02-2012
I would have to agree with Peter on this one.
[Reply]
maninblack 08:34 PM 04-02-2012
Put them in a pipe and smoke them. At least the bottom one.
[Reply]
mkarnold1 08:35 PM 04-02-2012
I would smoke them both immediately. Especially the bottom one. You can maybe get a 1/2 hour out of it before it falls apart.
[Reply]
levrac68 08:36 PM 04-02-2012
If you cut the top one short at the cap it may work. The only drawback is you'll be changing the characteristics of the cigar...

The bottom one will be leaking smoke from the side and more than likely has the filler twisted a bit inside. That's the one I'd open up for an autopsy. :-)
[Reply]
markem 08:38 PM 04-02-2012
Pectin is your friend. Also, if you happen to have another cigar (maybe it was plugged and you are giving it time) that can donate a wrapper, it's fairly easy surgery.
[Reply]
kuzi16 08:58 PM 04-02-2012
make tobacco ice cream with he bottom one.

make it custard style ice cream

after heating and reducing the milk but before adding the sugar and eggs to temper the mixture, add in the crushed up remains of that unsmokable cigar and let it steep for about 1 or 2 minutes. strain, then continue to make the ice cream as usual.

adding in the tiniest bit of bourbon and chocolate chips wouldnt be a bad idea either.
[Reply]
sevans105 09:06 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by kuzi16:
make tobacco ice cream with he bottom one.

make it custard style ice cream

after heating and reducing the milk but before adding the sugar and eggs to temper the mixture, add in the crushed up remains of that unsmokable cigar and let it steep for about 1 or 2 minutes. strain, then continue to make the ice cream as usual.

adding in the tiniest bit of bourbon and chocolate chips wouldnt be a bad idea either.
Funny....:-)

[Reply]
jledou 09:08 PM 04-02-2012
A little duct tape and you are gooooood to go.

I would give a little ( a lot ) of pectin a try.
[Reply]
SmokinCozy 09:20 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by markem:
Pectin is your friend. Also, if you happen to have another cigar (maybe it was plugged and you are giving it time) that can donate a wrapper, it's fairly easy surgery.

:-) Works everytime
[Reply]
kuzi16 05:57 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by sevans105:
Funny....:-)

but seriously... the ice cream concept was in Cigar Press Magazine a while back. I tried it but let the tobacco steep too long. the recipe said 20 minutes. with that much time it had a bit too much bite/pepper. if i ever broke a cigar or it was damaged to the point of not being salvageable again i will try it again but only steep for 1-2 minutes (like a good tea).
[Reply]
T.G 08:53 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by markem:
Mark is wise.

Also, you can have some fun with it and find an NC that you like of the same dimensions and take the wrapper from there to fix the bottom one, then use the pieces of the bottom wrapper to patch the top cigar.

A spray bottle of distilled water and some patience is all you need to unroll a good capa from another cigar.
[Reply]
Gooner 10:45 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Mark is wise.

Also, you can have some fun with it and find an NC that you like of the same dimensions and take the wrapper from there to fix the bottom one, then use the pieces of the bottom wrapper to patch the top cigar.

A spray bottle of distilled water and some patience is all you need to unroll a good capa from another cigar.
Thats a really interesting idea.

If the OP does this, I would love to see a review of CC filler and binder with NC wrapper.
[Reply]
T.G 11:14 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Gooner:
Thats a really interesting idea.

If the OP does this, I would love to see a review of CC filler and binder with NC wrapper.
I've made a number of frankengars and passed them around at herfs in the past. Sometimes they work out, sometimes what you think will work, doesn't.

Generally speaking, medium bodied NCs are the strongest you would want to use otherwise they tend to overpower the CC components. Nicaraguan or CT broadleaf wrappers over CC filer & binder tend to work well as do fuller/stronger CC wrappers (Bolivar, Partagas, Upmann, etc) over medium bodied fillers that are Nicaraguan or mostly Nicaraguan and a bit of Honduran tobacco.
[Reply]
shilala 11:48 AM 04-03-2012
I'd chop the end off that bottom one and call it a pc, but I'm lazy.
The top one, a little pectin would heal it right up. Otherwise I'd cut the top off of it and smoke it as is.
Generally I save banged up cc's and give them to sofaman. He'll smoke anything. :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:49 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
I'd chop the end off that bottom one and call it a pc, but I'm lazy.
The top one, a little pectin would heal it right up. Otherwise I'd cut the top off of it and smoke it as is.
Generally I save banged up cc's and give them to sofaman. He'll smoke anything. :-)
Scott, we all know you would just chuck these! :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:53 AM 04-03-2012
If the other option is to throw them out, then just smoke them and see. The top one should be no problem.
[Reply]
shilala 11:54 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Scott, we all know you would just chuck these! :-)
Honest, I save good wrecked sticks in a bag. Cheap wrecked sticks, I chuck those. :-)
[Reply]
pektel 12:05 PM 04-03-2012
I received a 98 HdM churchill that had a similar issue as the top one in your photo. I just peeled the wrapper off, up to the label, and it smoked just fine.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up