Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>What If We Lost Pepin?
shilala 03:16 PM 03-31-2012
The CC or NC thread made me think about this...
There are so many master blenders in Cuba, they could lose a good number and it wouldn't be likely that any one would be missed.
In the nc world, there's the Fuente's, Oliva's, Litto Gomez Diez, and a handful of others.
But then there's Don Pepin Garcia. He has had so much impact in the nc world for so long, and has his hands in so much, could you imagine if he were to just quit? I can't imagine anyone who could fill his shoes or take his place. The loss would stretch over so many cigar companies, blends, etc. that I can't even get my head around it.
Do you think there'd be a great impact? In what directions? How do you think the nc market would realign? Would Rocky finally achieve world domination?
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:18 PM 03-31-2012
Long live Pepin!! :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 03:20 PM 03-31-2012
It will be a truly tragic day when it happens. All I can hope for is that he passed on his love and skills for the leaf. I dont think Rocky will ever achieve world domination, not as long as there are other master blenders out there like EPC, Litto and the Fuentes.
[Reply]
maninblack 03:28 PM 03-31-2012
I am not looking forward to that day. I'm glad he has his family involved. Not sure Jaime has the golden touch but he does make some tasty smokes on his own. Good question though Scott.
[Reply]
deadrise 04:07 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by :
Would Rocky finally achieve world domination?
this had me laughing so hard my wife was wonder wth was wrong with me.

but yea it would be a sad day for the nc market I love me some pepins
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 04:11 PM 03-31-2012
Jaime has been learning from Pepin for a long time... he will do just fine when pops hangs it up.

I'm drawing a blank right now on who the main blender is... but the folks at the factory who make Illusione and Viaje can make some mean cigars as well.
[Reply]
sikk50 06:13 PM 03-31-2012
There would definitely be a lot of boutique companies that would be in a bad way
[Reply]
icehog3 06:39 PM 03-31-2012
As long as we don't lose Tim Tebow.
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:43 PM 03-31-2012
Interesting thought! It might be just my thinking, but these guys never hang it up. You look at all these old school guys, and as long as they have their family in the business, they still play a role in the process, even if it's just merely advisory. Pepin might not be physically rolling and blending when he's 80, but if he's still around (bless him, hopefully he his), his fingerprints will still be on his family's cigars.

I happen to enjoy Jaime's work so far, it's a nice slight variation on his pops' stuff.
[Reply]
shilala 06:47 PM 03-31-2012
Does Don still blend all Pete Johnson's stuff?
There used to be a running list of all the current and former Pepin Blends, is that still here somewhere?
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:52 PM 03-31-2012
I realize I really didn't answer your original post. But IF Pepin hung it up, I think Drew Estates and also the boys at the Raices Cubanas factory would be able to pick up the slack. At least hopefully, since those are some of favorites right now.
[Reply]
OLS 06:52 PM 03-31-2012
Eek. This is a little like "Here comes Joe Smith, hasn't missed a field goal all season, that 48 consecutive field goals,
WHAT a streak! The kick is UP.....Its NO GOOD, its no good, Joe Smith's streak is OVER!"

For ME, life would go on as if nothing happened, but you could definitely say this is one of those too big to fail
deals where the man's hand IS in everything, you said it best.
[Reply]
fencefixer 07:35 PM 03-31-2012
Don't draw the devil on the wall there Scott. :-)

Pepin and AJ are my favorite blenders. The whole process comes from within, like painting and cooking, it's an art of reflecting taste, mind and soul. No matter how much he teaches his apprentice, the superseding master's blend will never be the same. Not saying it'll be worse; just different.
[Reply]
CigarGuy88 07:56 PM 03-31-2012
I could see EPC's business blowing up big time if this happened... which would suck (if pepin stopped producing/blending/ w/e). I think Ernesto and Pepin are arguably the two of the best blenders in the world.
[Reply]
Ogre 07:59 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by CigarGuy88:
I could see EPC blowing up big time if this happened... which would suck. I think Ernesto and Pepin are arguably the two of the best blenders in the world.
Well put brother!!!!:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 08:22 PM 03-31-2012
But what if we didn't???:-)
[Reply]
cort 08:24 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
But what if we didn't???:-)
Then Gene Arganese will never take over the market.:-)
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 10:24 PM 03-31-2012
Wow, I had no idea how much DPG has influenced the cigar world. I just did some quick research; I had no idea he helped Pete Johnson with Tatuaje. Also didn't know that he helped create San Cristobal for Ashton either. Very interesting information!
[Reply]
DaBear 10:27 PM 03-31-2012
I don't like this thread out of fear that it is jinxing Pepin.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 10:28 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
As long as we don't lose Tim Tebow.
:-):-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up