Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>What should i buy???
dwoodward 02:08 AM 03-24-2012
Good cheapish smokes that come to my mind are the 601 Blue, Man O War, and La Gloria Cubana Serie R, Oliva's, 5 Vegas Triple-A.... TBH, the list could go on and on...

I would buy some samplers before you jump headfirst into a box purchase. Would suck to have 20 cigars that you don't like.
[Reply]
Gooner 03:02 AM 03-24-2012
Read, read and read reviews. Get some samples from B&Ms or get some 5 packs online.
Start a journal with every new cigar you try, it'll help force you to sit down and focus on the cigar.
[Reply]
joeobx 04:32 AM 03-24-2012
Spend some time in the review section here and on other sites. Look for cigars that you've smoked and enjoyed and then look for other reviews by the same person. There's no guarantee that you'll like the same smokes but it could give you a lead.
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 10:54 AM 03-24-2012
I absolutely love all things Drew Estate Liga Privada and the whole Illusione line up, both of which were already mentioned. There were many other mentions already that I agree with so I will offer a few other mentions that I smoked with great flavors that are on the more inexpensive side...

Siglo Maduro (around $6 a stick), Famous Nicaraguan Maduro (Great budget stick that you can get for $40 a bundle!), Grimalkin by Emilio (about $7.50 a stick).

If nothing else....just start smoking and you will find out what you like! Enjoy! :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 10:59 AM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
Good point:-) I retract my statement and insert EPC new wave Connecticut!
+1 Jake is good, Jake is wise...:-)
[Reply]
jluck 11:20 AM 03-24-2012
If your ok with tons of great flavor without having to spend near as much money try some AJ fernandez blends.

AJ Fernandez Blends
5 Vegas"AAA"
A. Fernandez Signature Series
Cigar.com House Blend Brazilian Label
Cigar.com Sungrown Label
Diesel---Unholy Cocktail,Unlimited
Double Happiness
Esteban Carreras Habano
Graycliff G2 Turbo
Gurkha--- Park Avenue,Sherpa
Gurkha Microbatch--- S-2,C-10,TPB-1
ITC 10th Anniversary
La Cuna Bin No. 85
La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte
Man O' War--- Ruination,virtue,Armada,PURO
Nica Libre
Padilla--- Achilles,Habano
Reposado 96
Rocky Patel--- Fusion,Double Maduro,Signature
Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
Indian Tabac Split Decision
Ave Maria
San Miguel
Moro Castle
San Lotano--- Connecticut,Habano,Maduro
:-)

I really like the 1844's, AJ signatures, MOW puro's, 5Vegas "AAA",Graycliff Turbo's.
most of these can be had for under 3.00 each.
And no I'm not affiliated with CI or AJ Fernandez.
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 12:45 PM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by Jefft72:
My trip to the local shop is where I like to grab some time from the guy who works there. I tell him that I smoked this or that and liked certain aspects, or disliked certain aspects, and that I would like to spend X. He in turn starts walking around the humidor and recommending to me what he thinks I might like. These hunting visits usually last longer than I intended, but Matt never makes me feel rushed, but if he needs to take care of business he will excuse himself and then come back when available.

My point is that visiting a local shop can be a great experience in getting recommendations. I do my share of checking out blogs for reviews and such, but the shop visit is where I come out with things that I had not even thought about.
That seems like a great idea I put that on my list of things to do!!!
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 12:49 PM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by TJtorpedo:
Don't know if this would be off of your flavor profile, but for some cocoa with your coffee, try any Padron, especially the maduro. A Padron 3000 maduro will only cost you about $6.00. You can find these online everywhere and in every shop.

Also, for some interesting flavors, consider a Viaje, either the Oro or Platino line. To me, the Oro tends to be a bit stronger. You can pick up either in the robusto size for about $8.00. Atlantic usually has a pretty good selection. I wish I could describe the melding of flavors I get off of these, but the term "mediterranean" comes to mind, like nutmeg, cinnamon, anise. At least IMO.
That s a great explanation T! I cant wait to get a taste!
[Reply]
pnoon 12:51 PM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by RichieBklyn:
That seems like a great idea I put that on my list of things to do!!!
Just be aware that not every employee/owner at a B&M is as knowledgeable or willing to spend the time with customers.
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 01:02 PM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Good cheapish smokes that come to my mind are the 601 Blue, Man O War, and La Gloria Cubana Serie R, Oliva's, 5 Vegas Triple-A.... TBH, the list could go on and on...

I would buy some samplers before you jump headfirst into a box purchase. Would suck to have 20 cigars that you don't like.
I really appreciate all you guys contributing to this post! I have had the La Gloria Cubana and thought it was very tasty. Another one that I felt has a great taste is Bolivar. I want to clarify that im not a new cigar smoker, been smoking maybe 1 a week for about 5 years. Maduro and Ligero doesn't scare me either. Maybe a lil to brave there I know... But considering im smoking like 4 a week now I want to buy stuff that tastes better than the average stick. Happy Saturday guys!
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 01:03 PM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by Gooner:
Read, read and read reviews. Get some samples from B&Ms or get some 5 packs online.
Start a journal with every new cigar you try, it'll help force you to sit down and focus on the cigar.
Can u elaborate on start a journal a little bit?
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 01:08 PM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
If your ok with tons of great flavor without having to spend near as much money try some AJ fernandez blends.

AJ Fernandez Blends
5 Vegas"AAA"
A. Fernandez Signature Series
Cigar.com House Blend Brazilian Label
Cigar.com Sungrown Label
Diesel---Unholy Cocktail,Unlimited
Double Happiness
Esteban Carreras Habano
Graycliff G2 Turbo
Gurkha--- Park Avenue,Sherpa
Gurkha Microbatch--- S-2,C-10,TPB-1
ITC 10th Anniversary
La Cuna Bin No. 85
La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte
Man O' War--- Ruination,virtue,Armada,PURO
Nica Libre
Padilla--- Achilles,Habano
Reposado 96
Rocky Patel--- Fusion,Double Maduro,Signature
Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
Indian Tabac Split Decision
Ave Maria
San Miguel
Moro Castle
San Lotano--- Connecticut,Habano,Maduro
:-)

I really like the 1844's, AJ signatures, MOW puro's, 5Vegas "AAA",Graycliff Turbo's.
most of these can be had for under 3.00 each.
And no I'm not affiliated with CI or AJ Fernandez.
That a list J!! Now I have to buy a cooler.... TY!
[Reply]
The Poet 01:11 PM 03-24-2012
One bit of advise I'd like to offer is that you should not try something new, then give up on the brand entirely if you did not enjoy that particular cigar. Remember that they are organic handmade products, and the best cigar you ever smoked may be sitting right next to the worst one you ever tried to smoke, both in the same box by the same maker, and even the same roller.

Besides, it's sort of like sex . . . you may be over- or underwhelmed with your first experience, but tastes can stabilize with repeated attempts.
[Reply]
Gooner 01:30 PM 03-24-2012
Can u elaborate on start a journal a little bit?
Years ago I used to write down my experiences when smoking a cigar (esp if they were a new brand for me). Think of a mini-review for yourself to keep. As someone else stated, when reading reviews and the reviewer "shares" similar tastes profile as I do, I tend to try those cigars.

I'm looking for a good iPad app for a cigar journal because now I want to rate my cigars as they age. I reviewed a cigar this morning that has been in my humi since 2007 and I wish I had written down a little review when I smoked the first one OTT in 07 (fresh). For me, it would be interesting to see how that cigar aged over the last 5 years.
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 05:01 PM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by The Poet:
One bit of advise I'd like to offer is that you should not try something new, then give up on the brand entirely if you did not enjoy that particular cigar. Remember that they are organic handmade products, and the best cigar you ever smoked may be sitting right next to the worst one you ever tried to smoke, both in the same box by the same maker, and even the same roller.

Besides, it's sort of like sex . . . you may be over- or underwhelmed with your first experience, but tastes can stabilize with repeated attempts.
Interesting, so are you saying that if you smoked something u really didn't enjoy, you would still buy that cigar again?
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 05:03 PM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by Gooner:
Years ago I used to write down my experiences when smoking a cigar (esp if they were a new brand for me). Think of a mini-review for yourself to keep. As someone else stated, when reading reviews and the reviewer "shares" similar tastes profile as I do, I tend to try those cigars.

I'm looking for a good iPad app for a cigar journal because now I want to rate my cigars as they age. I reviewed a cigar this morning that has been in my humi since 2007 and I wish I had written down a little review when I smoked the first one OTT in 07 (fresh). For me, it would be interesting to see how that cigar aged over the last 5 years.
Thanks Gooner, sounds like a great idea.
[Reply]
jluck 06:35 PM 03-24-2012
Interesting, so are you saying that if you smoked something u really didn't enjoy, you would still buy that cigar again?
Don't just try one brand and make definitive judgement. Lots of labels share manufacturing duty's. Like AJ Fernandez makes some cigars for Graycliff, Ghurka, 5Vegas etc. He (they) don't own the entire line just make certain cigars for the other company's.

Example. I did not care for any 5Vegas I tried until the "AAA", It was totally different from the other I tried before and I really liked it. Come to find out it's made by AJ (which I have obviously recently came to love).

I have also started getting at least two of each stick to try at different times to help eliminate "a bad stick" or "bad cigar day" (Because some days I light a maduro when I really should have had a Connecticut etc.

Just smoke lots. Then smoke more.
[Reply]
Starscream 12:10 PM 03-31-2012
I could sit here and recommend cigars all day, but it's all about preference. Go to CI and purchase a lot of samplers. That will give you a decent variety so you can decide what you like or don't like.
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 12:10 PM 03-31-2012

My recent purchases...
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 12:13 PM 03-31-2012
for what it's worth I tried to post this pic about 10 times, never had such trouble on a board trying to post a pic...
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up