Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Sometimes, it's a long time
Pseudosacred 06:12 PM 04-03-2012
Alright, so I just got done smoking a DPG Blue generoso. It took 2 and a half hours to get through.

I haven't seen the time it has taken other people to get through, in reviews, but I feel like that lasted really long.

This tends to happen often, with everything I smoke. I smoke with my friends who are ALWAYS done before me, even when smoking the same thing. I don't know what it is.

I never get the "burning to fast" taste and that's what I aim for.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is anyone a "speed smoker"?
[Reply]
smitty81 06:16 PM 04-03-2012
Why would you want the burning to fast taste? Thats usually a harsh taste that kills the real flavor the cigar has to offer. (please correct me if im wrong)

Do you have burn problems often? I find that when I smoke slower, I have burn issues.
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 06:19 PM 04-03-2012
I don't want it. I aim to not get it, thus smoking slowly.

And yes...I get burn issues out the wahzoo
[Reply]
Ogre 06:20 PM 04-03-2012
Smoke at your rate. I also smoke them slower then most.
[Reply]
smitty81 06:29 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred:
I don't want it. I aim to not get it, thus smoking slowly.

And yes...I get burn issues out the wahzoo
Try a slightly harder draw or more frequent draws. I am a noob and I found myself having the same issue. I was having tons of problems with a smoke so I just drew a bit harder and or had more frequent draws. The burn was %100 better. The taste didn't really change to much, you just have to find that fine line. Keep playing with how hard and often you draw your stick.

With that said, the draw for each stick will be different so you will have to find that fine line with each new stick.

If I have burn issues, I just do what I mentioned until the burn straightens itself out and that gives me a base to follow. It's helped me. :-)
[Reply]
oooo35980 07:34 PM 04-03-2012
I smoke fast sometimes if I'm not paying attention and purposely trying to slow it down. I guess for the same reason at a restaurant the waitress has to refill my glass 50 times and I always need to be chewing something.

I have noticed that the faster I smoke the less complexity I can get out of a cigar, but it's tedious for me to spend 2 hours trying not to smoke a cigar too fast. It is supposed to be relaxing after all. Like Smitty said, fine line, still I wouldn't spend too much energy worrying about it.

As long as you enjoy your smoke and don't have to relight it a bunch of times, you aren't smoking too slow.
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 08:12 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
I smoke fast sometimes if I'm not paying attention and purposely trying to slow it down. I guess for the same reason at a restaurant the waitress has to refill my glass 50 times and I always need to be chewing something.

I have noticed that the faster I smoke the less complexity I can get out of a cigar, but it's tedious for me to spend 2 hours trying not to smoke a cigar too fast. It is supposed to be relaxing after all. Like Smitty said, fine line, still I wouldn't spend too much energy worrying about it.

As long as you enjoy your smoke and don't have to relight it a bunch of times, you aren't smoking too slow.
I have those same restraunt habits :-)

I almost never have to relight, but sometimes I do get that stinky "I'm about to go out but you caught me just in time" puff. When I get that I draw on it 2 or 3 extra times so it gets hot again
[Reply]
kuzi16 08:18 PM 04-03-2012
on a 6 x 50 toro i am almost always around a 2 hour 20 minute mark. heck... it takes me 1 hour and 30 minutes to get through a corona. the last churchill i smoked took a bit over 3 hours. and if we start talking the "A" vitola... thats usually a 4.5 hour smoke. i think this is part of the reason why i have been going for the coronas, lonesdales (1:45ish), and robustos as of late. ive slowed way down.
[Reply]
smitty81 08:19 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred:
I have those same restraunt habits :-)

I almost never have to relight, but sometimes I do get that stinky "I'm about to go out but you caught me just in time" puff. When I get that I draw on it 2 or 3 extra times so it gets hot again
lol, I hate that taste.
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 08:28 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by kuzi16:
on a 6 x 50 toro i am almost always around a 2 hour 20 minute mark. heck... it takes me 1 hour and 30 minutes to get through a corona. the last churchill i smoked took a bit over 3 hours. and if we start talking the "A" vitola... thats usually a 4.5 hour smoke. i think this is part of the reason why i have been going for the coronas, lonesdales (1:45ish), and robustos as of late. ive slowed way down.
The first churchhill I smoked, was the last. Way to long to put down. Unless I find a blend that I absolutely love, I don't see myself spending so much time on one stick.

Well, I guess I'm not that far off! It got kind of boring, though. Not diggin' the Blue label :-)
[Reply]
maninblack 08:54 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Ogre:
Smoke at your rate. I also smoke them slower then most.
You are just slower than most, period.:-)
[Reply]
DaBear 09:35 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by maninblack:
:-)

I've gotten faster of late. I used to get 1.5-1.75 hours out of a toro, nowadays I'm down to 1-1.25 hours, but I'm starting to get slower again thanks to smoking my pipes more often and having to worry about those getting too hot to hold.
[Reply]
LigaPrivadaT84 11:44 PM 04-03-2012
I believe the general consensus will be better to smoke slow to get all the flavors. Knowing this I will try to slow myself down once in awhile when I want to take it all in, but sometimes I really like to take many consecutive puffs and get a big mouthful of heavy smoke which produces a different/harsher but also enjoyable taste to me. You can always purge and sip again if the flavor becomes too harsh. Smoke is not naturally smooth and your tolerance for it should build up which will also cause for faster smoking times over time.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 11:46 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by maninblack:
:-):-)
[Reply]
Up