Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Smoking CC's
Jon11 12:33 PM 04-03-2012
In my resort in Riviera Maya and the humidor only has Cubans. I can't take pics but they seem real. The boxes are definitely cuban cigar boxes, just wandering how to tell if the ciggars are real. I bought a romeo y julieta churchill, a montecristo # 2, and a cohiba piramide. All 3 for $55. Let me know what the cc experts think and what to look for. They seem real and the montecristo was great.
[Reply]
DennisP 12:38 PM 04-03-2012
All the most common counterfeit and although there are some Cohiba pyramids, they are rare and special releases. W/o pics and just by what you posted I would guess they are fakes.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:44 PM 04-03-2012
http://cubancigarwebsite.com/brands.aspx
[Reply]
pektel 12:50 PM 04-03-2012
There are 3 LCdlH's in your area. I did not know this until I pm'ed a BOTL who lives in the riviera maya to ask about where to buy smokes while I'm on vacation there in a couple weeks. To quote:

"there are three LCDH in the area - one in Cancun (closest and nicest), Playa del Carmen and Cozumel."

Those are probably the only shops I would recommend for authentic CC's.
[Reply]
e-man67 12:55 PM 04-03-2012
There is a Casa Partagas and an an LCDH in Playa del Carmen...do NOT buy from anyone else! Even uber nice hotels sell fake cubans.
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 01:12 PM 04-03-2012
Yeah, please post a picture of the Cohiba. If you actually found a legit Cohiba Piramide, it would cost you $55+ alone.

I personally would never buy cigars from a hotel in Mexico. They prey off of people that don't know anything about cigars. You know about this forum so obviously you have some cigar education and still got suckered. Next time, ask before buying.

But in the end... you enjoyed the cigar so that's the main thing! :-)
[Reply]
Jon11 01:16 PM 04-03-2012
Can I send someone who knows what to look for a text pic just pm your #?
[Reply]
PuffPuffGive1 02:07 AM 04-04-2012
So the actual CC's were in plain view and easily accessible? Seems kind of odd to me since the B&M's I go to who I know carry legit CC's usually stash them away in a locker or somewhere inaccessible by a regular person. But I guess people operate differently everywhere.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 02:09 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by PuffPuffGive1:
So the actual CC's were in plain view and easily accessible? Seems kind of odd to me since the B&M's I go to who I know carry legit CC's usually stash them away in a locker or somewhere inaccessible by a regular person. But I guess people operate differently everywhere.
In Mexico? :-)
[Reply]
PuffPuffGive1 02:15 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
In Mexico? :-)
LOL damn, I didn't see that he was in Mexico...I thought since he's from N.O. that the resort was in N.O. :-)
[Reply]
emopunker2004 02:15 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by PuffPuffGive1:
LOL damn, I didn't see that he was in Mexico...I thought since he's from N.O. that the resort was in N.O. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 05:38 AM 04-04-2012
Don't buy cuban cigars in mexico that don't come from an LCDH. You got fakes :-)
[Reply]
OLS 06:30 AM 04-04-2012
That's the difference between Canada and Mexico, one of them anyway, lol.
In Canada, you can wander outside of a LCDH and find authentic cuban cigars.
In Mexico you can't do that. There may be stores where Mexican connoisseurs can get
smokes that are real, but they are not near you. Your area is dedicated to money removal
from the gringo set. You have to operate under the most strict set of policies in Mexico.
There is almost no chance you got the real deal. They may really be cigars. They may really
be good Mexican tobacco. They may be sitting in a real box. But they are fake. What's more,
it might actually be better to pay 5 bucks each for them and KNOW you got fakes than to spend
60 bucks and not be sure. Especially since they are fake. But if you can enjoy them, you
should enjoy them and your vacation. I would venture to say everyone on this board has
purchased a fake havana cigar.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 06:56 AM 04-04-2012
In Mexico, the only place other than a LCDH that you can safely purchase genuine Cuban cigars would be the chain of Sanborn department stores. I've been told by LCDH personnel that there actually are a few other shops with the real deal, but fakes rule the day south of the border.
[Reply]
Up