Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>What If We Lost Pepin?
akumushi 10:38 PM 03-31-2012
I don't know enough insider info on how much of his art he's passed on, but Pepin is truly the single most influencial and important person in the NC cigar industry today. His death would mirror the recent loss in the CC world of Alejandro Robaina. He's a great guy who's forgotten more about tobacco than any of us could ever hope to learn, and who is, if not single handedly responsible for, at least a major factor in bringing the current generation of Nicaraguan cigars up to par with and occasionally exceeding the quality of Habanos. If he were to die soon, it would be a tragedy on many levels; he's a great, friendly and personable person, as well as a virtuosic genius in the art of blending and cultivating tobacco. I hope all of his children have been hanging on to every word that comes from his mouth, because when he dies, the cigar world is going to really feel it if that wealth of knowledge isn't passed on. The only NCs I've thoroughly enjoyed in the last 3 years or so other than Padrons, have all had something to do with Pepin.
EDIT
EPC is another treasure. I would hate to think of losing either of them.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:40 PM 03-31-2012
Your post made me think...and smile, Clayton. :-)
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 12:24 AM 04-01-2012
Believe me, both son and daughter, Jaimie and Janny are not just riding their father's coat tail. They are very knowledgeable in the cigar world and will carry the business just fine.

I agree, Ernesto Carillo is one of the best in the NC world. Fuentes will live on, as well as the Padrons. NC's will have no problems, until the embargo is lifted and then things will change for awhile. If Pepin is still active, he will have the leg up in the non-cuban world if/when the embargo is lifted because he will be the first/best with hybrid cuban/NC cigars as he already knows what he will blend and will have first dibs on tobacco knowing so many people in Cuba.
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:31 AM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by cort:
Then Gene Arganese will never take over the market.:-)
:-)

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
thecatch83 01:05 AM 04-01-2012
I think in the next five years, we are going to see numerous changes to the industry......if DPG goes, his legacy will go on!
[Reply]
kuzi16 07:11 AM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by akumushi:
He's a great guy who's forgotten more about tobacco than any of us could ever hope to learn...
you see... thats the thing... he hasnt forgotten a single thing about tobacco.
[Reply]
shilala 07:24 AM 04-01-2012
Wayne referenced the Pepin List I mentioned in this post.
It may have been at our old home. I sifted through 11 pages after I searched "Pepin", but I couldn't find it. It really was an incredible compilation of cigars he had a hand in, it'd be nice to dig it up and update it.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 07:25 AM 04-01-2012
It wouldn't make much impact. Yes, Pepin has made some great blends but he's not the only one. Pepin is one of the masterblenders that is in the spotlights, there are many unsung heroes that blend great cigars too that will fill the void the day Pepin quits blending.
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 08:41 AM 04-01-2012
I just hope Pepin continues blending for Pete Johnson. I enjoy the DPG line up and do really like a lot of what Pete Johnson comes up with. DPG and Pete seem to have had a really good thing going so hopefully none of that changes moving forward.
[Reply]
TanithT 09:41 AM 04-01-2012
What a horrific thought. Just considering it depresses me. The loss to the industry would be extremely far-reaching.

Maybe someone could raise him as a cigar-rolling zombie.
[Reply]
smitty81 09:47 AM 04-01-2012
All the online cigar websites would crash because you all would jump online immediately and buy up everything you can!
[Reply]
T.G 07:49 PM 04-01-2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yop62wQH498
[Reply]
Remo 07:50 PM 04-01-2012
Bite your tongue Scott :-)
[Reply]
sofaman 05:17 AM 04-02-2012
I would be smoking alot more Litto and Padron
[Reply]
Ranger_B 06:56 AM 04-02-2012
It would be interesting to see who stepped up. I would imagine many of the blenders mentioned in this thread so far would be the first. EPC, Eddie Ortega, AJ Fernandez,Abe Florez, Fuentes, Padrons, Litto Gomez, Guillermo Leon, Jose Blanco. Dont get me wrong but I think the cigar world is bigger than DPG, it would not be the same place it is today without the work of him and his family. I think the Garcias are really part of the reason that NC cigars are truly meeting and at times exceeding the CCs that are being produced today.
[Reply]
BMack 04:12 PM 04-05-2012
I think Jaime would do just fine, in fact, Jaime's lines are as good as his father's imo. Would we be missing out? Absolutely! I'm sure that they both have an impact on each other's projects(including Tatuaje).

Have you had the Jaime Garcia RE LE? If Jaime did that on his own, we have nothing to worry about unless they carpool.
[Reply]
whodeeni 04:38 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle:
Jaime has been learning from Pepin for a long time... he will do just fine when pops hangs it up.

I'm drawing a blank right now on who the main blender is... but the folks at the factory who make Illusione and Viaje can make some mean cigars as well.
Arsenio Ramos at Raices Cubanas.

Jaime's got next as you've already stated Ryan. Pete is becoming a master
blender in his own right! The Padron Family, Litto Gomez, AJ Fernandez, Chief Hava,
Willy Herrera, Sean Williams (if you guys haven't smoked the Primer Mundo Epiphania
you should shoot yourself!) those guys know what time it is in the cigar business!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up