Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Is this mold? Some quick help needed.
j.walker 11:49 PM 03-29-2012
I just bought this Partagas "Coronas Junior" from a mall cigar shop. I cut the tip back a bit and the white specs seem to be present all the way through. It looks suspect to me. Keep in mind, the camera flash exaggerated the white a bit.

Thanks.
Attached: partagas.jpg (31.9 KB) 
[Reply]
SmokinCozy 11:57 PM 03-29-2012
If that's the foot, yep.
[Reply]
LostAbbott 11:59 PM 03-29-2012
Is there anything on the wrapper? Is this the foot? If it was under the cap I doubt it is mold with out any other indicators... they could have wiped the wrapper but no way to hide mold on the foot.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
j.walker 12:09 AM 03-30-2012
The wrapper looks clean to my untrained eye. The foot (the end that you light?) had the same white specs you are seeing, which I then tried to trim off the end.
Attached: wrapper.jpg (25.5 KB) close.jpg (28.2 KB) 
[Reply]
Zeuceone 12:16 AM 03-30-2012
looks like mold to me. They would have probably wiped off the exterior mold.
[Reply]
BlkDrew 01:04 AM 03-30-2012
I'm leaning more towards the veins of the filler. Get a small exacto knife and try and scrape it off... What type of humidification did they have at the retailer?

Also take a cutter and take off a half inch of the foot. You said it was also under the cap which leads me to believe it is the cross section of the larger veins you are looking at.
[Reply]
thecatch83 03:28 AM 03-30-2012
toast the crap out of it and smoke away....
[Reply]
mariogolbee 03:42 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by BlkDrew:
I'm leaning more towards the veins of the filler. Get a small exacto knife and try and scrape it off... What type of humidification did they have at the retailer?

Also take a cutter and take off a half inch of the foot. You said it was also under the cap which leads me to believe it is the cross section of the larger veins you are looking at.
This.
[Reply]
oooo35980 03:45 AM 03-30-2012
You'll probably survive... I've heard of people getting upper respiratory infections from moldy sticks though, it might have been CA I read that on actually.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 03:50 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
You'll probably survive... I've heard of people getting upper respiratory infections from moldy sticks though, it might have been CA I read that on actually.
What?!? I had an URI before, and it was terrible. I can't imagine getting another one...
[Reply]
oooo35980 03:53 AM 03-30-2012
Might want to do some research, not 100% on it but I could swear I read it on CA somewhere. Of course if it isn't mold then it's a moot point.
[Reply]
Fia 04:07 AM 03-30-2012
Thats what I was thinking too that it was just some thick stems. Cant tell by looking at the picture for sure.
[Reply]
j.walker 04:18 AM 03-30-2012
What type of humidification did they have at the retailer?
Seemed to be just kept in a cabinet (Sheffield Express). The metal tube it came in seemed scratched and dented, so maybe it was just old stock. Either way, I ended up just tossing it out of frustration since $15 isn't worth going back to the store.

Thanks for the input guys.
[Reply]
Up