finished product of the pork butt from yesterday

here's what i'm smoking today, an 8lb brisket

[Reply]
DMK 04:56 PM 07-03-2011
Today's Dinner.:-)
A 5 lb. Beef Tenderloin.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:36 PM 07-04-2011
Getting these beauties ready for tomorrow, about to season them up. A 3.75lb pork shouler roast and a half a slabe of spare ribs. All Berkshire pork. Can't wait to try it.

Since the fat cap on the roast is on the side, I'm thinking I"ll drape some cheapo bacon I have in the freezer (thawed of course) over it to help baste it during the cooking. I only run about 2.5hours of smoke on my meats, so I'll throw the bacon on after that. There looks to be some good marbling, but I"m worried there's not enough and it'll dry out.
Attached: IMG_0515.jpg (54.1 KB) IMG_0514.jpg (44.8 KB) 
[Reply]
T.G 06:54 PM 07-04-2011
Bob, consider shooting for a slightly lower "done" temp. I often cook small cuts like that since I'm only feeding myself so something like the bacon or an oil marinade will help, but when I cooked the meat from Bledsoe, which had a similar appearance, cut, bloodline and raising, a few weeks ago, in retrospect, I think I should have pulled it off about 5-10 degrees sooner than I would take the supermarket stuff.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:07 PM 07-04-2011
Thanks Adam, I"ll definitely take that into account.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:49 AM 07-05-2011
Nothing fancy... but did two spatchcocked chickens on the Big Green Egg yesterday. They were devoured!!
[Reply]
OLS 06:16 AM 07-05-2011
Brent's not DEAD....Everybody thought he was dead....he just stopped cooking cause of the heat.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:42 PM 07-05-2011
The ribs and pork shoulder turned out great. Took the shoulder off at 170F, so it's thinly sliced bbq pork and not pulled pork, but glad I did (thanks Adam). Because of the lack of fatcap, it didn't self baste. It's still got a bit of moisture left but would've dried up had I gone to 190-195F. Tastes awesome. I'll have to talk to the farmer next time and get a full butt with the fatcap for next time.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 10:50 AM 07-06-2011
Guys where is the link to the worlds greatest ribs or it had some name like that. Wife wantes some ribs.
[Reply]
wayner123 11:09 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Guys where is the link to the worlds greatest ribs or it had some name like that. Wife wantes some ribs.
I think this is the link: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

However, the ribs I made this weekend are the best I have done yet and I did the HnF and got done in 4 hours. Probably could have even got by with 3.5 hours.
[Reply]
OLS 01:07 PM 07-06-2011
I think that Berkshire pork was not so much a matter of fat on the outside as marbling on the inside.
It really seemed that it was not industrial ranched pork but some kind of good local farm pork, without
all the growth hormone. There was not much fat in that cut from what I could see. Might have made
a better ham. It had good marbling for beef, though. I am never sure how much there is in the junk
you get at the store, cause it's all the same basic color, lol. That was some bright purple pork you had there.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:10 PM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
I think that Berkshire pork was not so much a matter of fat on the outside as marbling on the inside.
It really seemed that it was not industrial ranched pork but some kind of good local farm pork, without
all the growth hormone. There was not much fat in that cut from what I could see. Might have made
a better ham.
Yep, I was thinking that same thing myself. I didn't end up layering bacon on it as it became my lunch. Oops. :-)

I'm thinking a brine is in order the next time if I use Berkshire again.
[Reply]
wayner123 02:04 PM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Yep, I was thinking that same thing myself. I didn't end up layering bacon on it as it became my lunch. Oops. :-)

I'm thinking a brine is in order the next time if I use Berkshire again.
What particular cut of meat was it? It doesn't look to be a shoulder. If it was in fact NOT a shoulder, it might be more like smoking pork chops, which IMO is not a good thing for long cooks, but better grilled.

edit: going over the picture more and more, it looks like you got what is called a center cut ham steak, or ham shank steak.
[Reply]
OLS 02:11 PM 07-06-2011
I think you saved yourself some bacon anyway. I can't imagine it having an effect at all, other than on the bottom
of your smoker, lol. I bet it made a good sammich anyway.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 03:32 PM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I think this is the link: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

However, the ribs I made this weekend are the best I have done yet and I did the HnF and got done in 4 hours. Probably could have even got by with 3.5 hours.
Bumped thanks.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:34 PM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
Brent's not DEAD....Everybody thought he was dead....he just stopped cooking cause of the heat.
Watcha talkin' 'bout Willis??? I cook... I just suck at taking pictures so I don't always post when I cook:-):-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 04:24 PM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
What particular cut of meat was it? It doesn't look to be a shoulder. If it was in fact NOT a shoulder, it might be more like smoking pork chops, which IMO is not a good thing for long cooks, but better grilled.

edit: going over the picture more and more, it looks like you got what is called a center cut ham steak, or ham shank steak.
I was just labeled as a shoulder roast. I think you're right though about it being more of a ham cut as the bone looks nothing like what you find in a butt (there's a joke in there somewhere :-)). Either way, it turned out very good, especially sliced really thin and dressed with a touch of NC style BBQ sauce.
[Reply]
T.G 04:41 PM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I was just labeled as a shoulder roast. I think you're right though about it being more of a ham cut as the bone looks nothing like what you find in a butt (there's a joke in there somewhere :-)). Either way, it turned out very good, especially sliced really thin and dressed with a touch of NC style BBQ sauce.
Possibly a cut off the top of the picnic shoulder, which is the forward shoulder/leg, just below the butt.

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkPicnic.html
[Reply]
DMK 04:42 PM 07-07-2011
It was chicken Thursday....
My oldest daughter and boyfriend are in from out of town, so...
I made a bunch of these, one survived...:-)
[Reply]
nofeardiver 08:12 PM 07-07-2011
Love this thread did some ribs for the 4th and only got this pic, used pecan wood man what a great flavor...

[Reply]
Page 123 of 270
« First < 2373113121122123 124125133173223 > Last »
Up