Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Entertainment>Epic Scifi Novel Suggestions
blugill 10:07 PM 04-16-2011
I'm looking for something with massive capital ships, interstellar intrigue, and lots of action.

I've started the Honor Harrington series and I'm really not liking it that much. It's just not as exciting as I was hoping and I'm really struggling to get through it.

Any suggestions and why would be greatly appreciated!

I've read Dune and that's a great series but it's a darn dense series.
[Reply]
Kreth 10:42 PM 04-16-2011
Asimov's original Foundation trilogy would be an obvious choice. Although, if you found Dune to be dense, the Foundation books are pretty heavy reading as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
blugill 10:44 PM 04-16-2011
I don't mind dense at all, it just takes some serious reading attention is all.
I enjoyed Dune a lot! It's a classic for a reason!
[Reply]
Kreth 11:25 PM 04-16-2011
Originally Posted by blugill:
I don't mind dense at all, it just takes some serious reading attention is all.
I enjoyed Dune a lot! It's a classic for a reason!
The first time I read Dune I almost gave up on it because it started soooooo slow. I may have to give it and the Foundation trilogy a re-read. It's been years.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
tsolomon 07:25 AM 04-17-2011
I would suggest you read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
[Reply]
blugill 07:33 AM 04-17-2011
I've read Ender's Game, loved it!
Great novel for anyone really not even fascinated by scifi, it's very human.
[Reply]
akumushi 07:46 AM 04-17-2011
Any William Gibson, Neuromancer is a good place to start; it's the first of a loose trilogy. Virtual Light is the first of another trilogy of his.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:38 AM 04-17-2011
Great thread! :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 12:50 PM 04-17-2011
Did you start with the first Honor Harrington; on Balstik(sp) Station? If so, hang in there. You will quickly grow into it. Weber puts in a lot of tech data that can get in the way early on, but he loosens up in the following books in the series. I've read them all, and enjoyed them. However, the next to the last few were as much intrigue as space battles, but the last couple pick back up.

You might hunt down the three-book trio that make up what's called the Armageddon Inheritance. Very interesting concept!

BTW, most of the early Honor books (and probably the Armageddon series) can be had for free off the the Baan website. Plus hundreds of older (Sci-fi) authors' works. A good place to do some reading to see if you like the authors without spending money.
[Reply]
tsolomon 01:13 PM 04-17-2011
Foundation Triology by Asimov and The Mote in God's Eye by Niven are classics. I also liked the Hyperion seires by Dan Simmons and the Dorsai series by Dickson.
[Reply]
CigarNut 04:01 PM 04-17-2011
Not SciFi, but epic: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series -- last book (14) is due out later this year :-)

I like The Foundation series, but if you read all of them, it's like 11 books. Asimov did a great job linking seperate but related series together:

- Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, The Robots of Dawn
- Pebble in the sky
- Prelude to Foundatioin, Forward the Foundation
- Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation
- Foundation's Edge, Foundation and Earth

There are also three new Foundation books by different authors that are also very good:

- Foundation's Fear (Gregory Benford)
- Foundation and Chaos (Greg Bear)
- Foundation's Triumph (David Brin)
[Reply]
blugill 05:33 AM 04-18-2011
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Did you start with the first Honor Harrington; on Balstik(sp) Station? If so, hang in there. You will quickly grow into it. Weber puts in a lot of tech data that can get in the way early on, but he loosens up in the following books in the series. I've read them all, and enjoyed them. However, the next to the last few were as much intrigue as space battles, but the last couple pick back up.

You might hunt down the three-book trio that make up what's called the Armageddon Inheritance. Very interesting concept!

BTW, most of the early Honor books (and probably the Armageddon series) can be had for free off the the Baan website. Plus hundreds of older (Sci-fi) authors' works. A good place to do some reading to see if you like the authors without spending money.
I did start with Basilisk Station. It's ok but I'm really not into it. I've heard great things that's why I picked it up. I'm less than a hundred pages from finishing it and I haven't picked it up in a month.

I thought this is exactly what I'm looking for and it just doesn't move me much. I might give it another shot though!
[Reply]
kaisersozei 07:48 AM 04-18-2011
Take a look at Stephen Baxter:

http://www.stephen-baxter.com/books.html

I've read a lot of his stuff--the Manifold series, and the Xeelee Sequence would fit in what you're looking for, but I particularly liked The Light of Other Days, Destiny's Children series, and Evolution.
[Reply]
Kreth 10:03 AM 04-18-2011
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Take a look at Stephen Baxter:

http://www.stephen-baxter.com/books.html

I've read a lot of his stuff--the Manifold series, and the Xeelee Sequence would fit in what you're looking for, but I particularly liked The Light of Other Days, Destiny's Children series, and Evolution.
I've read Time's Eye and enjoyed it. Now I see there's two more books in the series.
I also really liked a series called The Destiny Makers by Mike Shupp. A college professor is pulled thousands of years into the future into one country's war against a worldwide alliance. The series is out of print now, but you can find the books on Amazon, ABE, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Up