Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Ronson Jetlight
PCR 09:41 PM 09-18-2010
Bought four of these last month, all four have crapped out alreday. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:45 PM 09-18-2010
Originally Posted by PCR:
WOW...have been using one for almost a year now. Only use around the house, but still...purge and refill and she works like a champ.
[Reply]
md4958 09:47 PM 09-18-2010
kinda odd that four lighters would crap out... perhaps you just need to purge them?
[Reply]
PCR 10:02 PM 09-18-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
WOW...have been using one for almost a year now. Only use around the house, but still...purge and refill and she works like a champ.
Funny, I did that too, refilled with Ronson fluid... still not woking. Time for a Blazer.
[Reply]
mobarbq 10:03 PM 09-18-2010
I did learn something about butane operations from refilling mine. I am by no means a butane expert, but I have learned that if you are not getting some sidespray and/or having the main chamber unit get very cold, you are probably not getting any fuel down inside the unit. You just think you are filling it, but you aren't-it isn't working. I think their input valve is not the same as it used to be. I initially thought mine had crapped out too, but it almost seemed like the input valve was either defective or had something inside it plugging it up. (Maybe some wax or something they put on it at the time of manufacture to protect it during shipping?) After playing with it, you should be or begin hearing an audible hiss when it is filling up and then the "overspray" of the butane escaping from around the intake valve will start freezing your fingers, etc. That means the lighter is full, having reached maximum capacity. Immediately stop and wait a full 30 minutes before trying to ignite the lighter. If you try to immediately use it, it will not work (and you will accordingly think it has crapped out on you). That's the story on how my ordeal went; got mine about a month ago. Wasn't easy to find.
Mine's doing great now. **NOTE** it does suck the juice. Don't be surprised if you can only get about 4-5 cigars lit up out of each fill, and maybe less if you have to do a lot of relighting or burn corrections during the course of your firing-off.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:08 PM 09-18-2010
Funny, I did that too, refilled with Ronson fluid... still not woking. Time for a Blazer.
Ronson fuel blows....try Vector. :-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 10:09 PM 09-18-2010
I have had better results using higher quality butane... at least triple refined. I have one that is almost three years old that still works well.

Of course, they are inexpensive and it is possible to get a bad one every now and then. Sorry you have had trouble with three of them.

And by the way, even some of the expensive ones crap out too. Hope you are able to get a good one! :-)
[Reply]
PCR 10:18 PM 09-18-2010
Originally Posted by mobarbq:
I did learn something about butane operations from refilling mine. I am by no means a butane expert, but I have learned that if you are not getting some sidespray and/or having the main chamber unit get very cold, you are probably not getting any fuel down inside the unit. You just think you are filling it, but you aren't-it isn't working. I think their input valve is not the same as it used to be. I initially thought mine had crapped out too, but it almost seemed like the input valve was either defective or had something inside it plugging it up. (Maybe some wax or something they put on it at the time of manufacture to protect it during shipping?) After playing with it, you should be or begin hearing an audible hiss when it is filling up and then the "overspray" of the butane escaping from around the intake valve will start freezing your fingers, etc. That means the lighter is full, having reached maximum capacity. Immediately stop and wait a full 30 minutes before trying to ignite the lighter. If you try to immediately use it, it will not work (and you will accordingly think it has crapped out on you). That's the story on how my ordeal went; got mine about a month ago. Wasn't easy to find.
Mine's doing great now. **NOTE** it does suck the juice. Don't be surprised if you can only get about 4-5 cigars lit up out of each fill, and maybe less if you have to do a lot of relighting or burn corrections during the course of your firing-off.
Ah ha, maybe I am just going through a lot of butane and not filling correctly... time to experiment. We shall see here. Thanks everyone.
However this is a good excuse to buy another lighter. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 10:37 PM 09-18-2010
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4179

Great lighters. About $2 each delivered, when you buy 3
[Reply]
PCR 10:45 PM 09-18-2010
Maybe I'll just use my work torch...
Attached: crosstech.jpg (1.7 KB) 
[Reply]
jaycarla 11:05 PM 09-18-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Ronson fuel blows....try Vector. :-)
I have about 15 Ronsons scattered all over the house, camper, and truck. Love them. Only use Vector in them. In 4 years have only had one go bad.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:18 PM 09-18-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4179

Great lighters. About $2 each delivered, when you buy 3
Absolutely....but use Vector is those, too. :-)
[Reply]
LostAbbott 12:41 AM 09-19-2010
Are you able to light more cigars with vector fluid over Ronson? Simply put why is it better fluid?
[Reply]
Chingas 12:44 AM 09-19-2010
Originally Posted by LostAbbott:
Are you able to light more cigars with vector fluid over Ronson? Simply put why is it better fluid?
It's the actual process of refining the fluid. Consider Ronson dirty fuel as opposed to, say, Vector which would be a super clean fuel.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:46 AM 09-19-2010
Originally Posted by Chingas:
It's the actual process of refining the fluid. Consider Ronson dirty fuel as opposed to, say, Vector which would be a super clean fuel.
Yup...Vector is quintuple refined, and doesn't clog lighters like cheap fluid does.
[Reply]
Kreth 05:23 AM 09-19-2010
Originally Posted by mobarbq:
Don't be surprised if you can only get about 4-5 cigars lit up out of each fill, and maybe less if you have to do a lot of relighting or burn corrections during the course of your firing-off.
I've seen a lot of similar comments about the Jet Lites. I don't get it. Mine are usually good for about 2-3 weeks, lighting 1-2 cigars per day.
BTW, another good refill tip: Throw the lighter in the freezer after purging for about 5 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
MiamiE 05:43 AM 09-19-2010
May I ask what is purging? Never done this with any lighter I've had.
[Reply]
joeobx 06:08 AM 09-19-2010
I can go at least a week before refilling , thats toasting the foot on 2 cigars a day plus I smoke cigarettes. Sounds like you may not be getting a good fill on them. I use Ronson fuel in mine and haven't had a problem except for every once in a while the burner seems to clog and I take the can of fuel put the nozzle against the burner and blast it for a second....let it sit for a while and it good as new. I think it was Bobarian that told about this. Also I found if you take out the little screw on the bottom you can remove the brass clip around the adjustment screw and get a larger flame.
[Reply]
captain53 07:19 AM 09-19-2010
Originally Posted by jaycarla:
I have about 15 Ronsons scattered all over the house, camper, and truck. Love them. Only use Vector in them. In 4 years have only had one go bad.
:-) Most reliable lighter I have ever used! Nothing but Vector in my house.
[Reply]
Montano 07:58 AM 09-19-2010
I'm going to get my lawn chair and some popcorn :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up