Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Sports>The Red Sox, the Hindenburg, a boat anchor?
icehog3 02:18 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by floydpink:
The '69 Cubs? :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 02:36 PM 09-29-2011
One thing you have to admit . . . last night was the most exciting, entertaining, and fun ending to a regular-season in baseball, ever. It's like Bobby Thompson hit a home run to win the pennant three different times, in three different games, in three different cities.

We will remember this September for a loooooooooong time.
[Reply]
shilala 02:43 PM 09-29-2011
The Sox are a great club, as are the Braves, but it's nice to see a couple clubs who aren't sinking like a rock going into the playoffs. If your team is that systemically puked up, there's no way you're gonna pull it togther to make an entertaining stand in the playoffs.
I'm excited about this year's playoff lineup, and thrilled that the Buccos extended their sub .500 streak to what, 64 years? :-)
Ahh, only 19 years. I had to go check. I've just grown accustomed to them losing.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:59 PM 09-29-2011
Odd you should mention the Pirates, Scott. For reasons I will never understand, my father was a Pirate fan, though how a peckerwood from the sticks of Hickory NC became one is a mystery. He was on his deathbed when Bill Mazeroski hit that homer in Game 7 against the Yankees, so at least he got that before the end.
[Reply]
spectrrr 06:23 PM 09-29-2011
I think I'll take up the Rays for the post season.

and yes, that was most certainly a september to remember for braves and red sox fans...
[Reply]
The Poet 02:14 PM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
I think I'll take up the Rays for the post season.

Good for you. The Rays need somebody to pull for them, since it seems obvious nobody in Tampa gives much of a damn. :-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 03:41 PM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Good for you. The Rays need somebody to pull for them, since it seems obvious nobody in Tampa gives much of a damn. :-)
I figure it follows the sames rules as driving in Boston. IF you can cut me off, then you deserve to be in front of me (good luck with that)... and if you can't then you deserve to stay behind :-)

Red Sox put on the emergency flashers and drove in the granny lane for a month, so I've got no hard feelings for the Rays shooting past, and wish em the best in sending the Yankees home for vacation a few days early :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 03:56 PM 09-30-2011
Francis, you are the oddest Red Sox fan I've ever encountered, in a good way. Boston is notorious for being single-minded in its sports fandom; if their team is not in it, they don't care. A national game that will draw a 10-share in New York, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Seattle will pull in a 3 up there. Only Southern Cal rivals them in this, and that's more because people in LA don't give a crap about any of it.

Which was my point regarding the Rays. Both Michael Kay and John Sterling, the TV and radio voices of the Yankees, noted that the only BAD thing about that last night of baseball was the fact that only 28,000 fans showed up in Tampa to watch their team fight for the playoffs. They called it a disgrace, and went so far as to avow the town does not deserve a team at all.

Say what you will, Fenway is packed every game.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 04:29 PM 09-30-2011
It's the pink hats that don't know jack **** about baseball that fill Fenway,they only go to drink,do the wave and sing Sweet Caroline.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:38 PM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
It's the pink hats that don't know jack **** about baseball that fill Fenway,they only go to drink,do the wave and sing Sweet Caroline.
Well, you'd know better than me, brother. And FYI, I'm sure it's no surprise that Yankee Stadium has more than its fair share of drunken @$$holes in the seats also. But the wave was never big there, and they're waiting around to sing "New York, New York" . . . if they're still conscious. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:00 PM 09-30-2011
But the wave was never big there, and they're waiting around to sing "New York, New York" . . . if they're still conscious. :-)
I want to be a part of it.
[Reply]
shilala 06:09 PM 09-30-2011
Odd you should mention the Pirates, Scott. For reasons I will never understand, my father was a Pirate fan, though how a peckerwood from the sticks of Hickory NC became one is a mystery. He was on his deathbed when Bill Mazeroski hit that homer in Game 7 against the Yankees, so at least he got that before the end.
Should I be so blessed to go out after the second greatest home run ever. I can't imagine there will ever be one greater than than one your Dad got. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:50 PM 09-30-2011
Where is BigAsh when you want to laugh at him??? :-) :-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 06:55 AM 10-01-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Where is BigAsh when you want to laugh at him??? :-) :-)
Out buying Phillies gear....:-).....
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:15 AM 10-01-2011
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Out buying Phillies gear....:-).....
Touche brother...touche!! :-)
[Reply]
massphatness 08:18 AM 10-01-2011
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
The pink hats allow us to afford the second highest payroll in baseball.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 08:55 AM 10-01-2011
Originally Posted by massphatness:
The pink hats allow us to afford the second highest payroll in baseball.
And were did that get the Sox,third place in the East.
Boston 160 million payroll
Tampa 41 million payroll
A bunch of fat cats that want to hang around the club house drinking, and ***** about everything :-)
Watch the dirt that comes out in the next few weeks?
[Reply]
taltos 09:46 AM 10-02-2011
Should have added the Colts in here instead of the Hindenberg.:-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 09:33 PM 10-03-2011
Francis, you are the oddest Red Sox fan I've ever encountered, in a good way. Boston is notorious for being single-minded in its sports fandom; if their team is not in it, they don't care. A national game that will draw a 10-share in New York, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Seattle will pull in a 3 up there. Only Southern Cal rivals them in this, and that's more because people in LA don't give a crap about any of it.

Which was my point regarding the Rays. Both Michael Kay and John Sterling, the TV and radio voices of the Yankees, noted that the only BAD thing about that last night of baseball was the fact that only 28,000 fans showed up in Tampa to watch their team fight for the playoffs. They called it a disgrace, and went so far as to avow the town does not deserve a team at all.

Say what you will, Fenway is packed every game.
hahah, well erm, thanks. Tho I will admit I am somewhat regionally focused when it comes to my sports affiliations. Were the Yankees not involved (an enemy remaining to be slain), I would probably be a little more apathetic about the games. But given that I don't really have access to watch them, that also serves to dull my interest :-)

But you are right about the stadium being packed. unfortunately that means that its been years since I've actually gone to a game in person, because it's become too !$#@!^#@$&)@#$^ expensive. Long as the place is packed, they can keep hiking the prices :-)

Really is a shame the Rays can't bring in more fans, even after their near miss a few years back in the world series. They're a good ball club and could probably do fun things if they had a bit more revenue.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up