Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 13
« First < 345 67 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test Thread #2
Riff Raff 02:03 PM 02-17-2010
Wow! A twelve year old habano? I am impressed Dan! Being a newb to CCs it could be my unrefined palate that hinders my true appreciation of the finer stogies. It was a good smoke, but honestly I wouldn't say it wowed me. Three CCs in a row! Holy cow! You are pulling out all the stops here! Each new smoke in this blind taste test is the highlight of my week!
[Reply]
Montano 04:11 PM 02-17-2010
Without a doubt the oldest CC I've had :-)

Perhaps the age is why it appeared old and wrinkled :-)

It was a decent smoke, just nothing to write home about. I would smoke it again.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:10 PM 02-17-2010
Montano - good choice for a bourbon, Buffalo Trace is enjoyable.
[Reply]
cigarz 09:25 PM 02-19-2010
Great thread guys, keep up the good work. This is the first thread I hit when I log on to the site.

Thanks again!
[Reply]
Nimbus 10:22 PM 02-19-2010
Bill's first review; driving, smoking and taking pics at the same time scared the daylights out of me. :-)

Very generous selection of cigars Dan. :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 11:01 PM 02-19-2010
LOVE THESE THREADS!!!!!

Dan, I tip my hat to you.... FINE JOB!
[Reply]
Montano 06:27 PM 02-22-2010
I'm ready to smoke #5, but I don't see the reviews for #4 yet :-)
[Reply]
MTBAlex 08:13 PM 02-22-2010
when is the next review?? *waiting*
[Reply]
DBall 08:16 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by Montano:
I'm ready to smoke #5, but I don't see the reviews for #4 yet :-)

That's because your counterpart is slackin'...
[Reply]
Riff Raff 07:20 AM 02-23-2010
? Wow. I thought we were doing one a week. My Bad. I have smoked # 4 and written the review. It will be up tonight. Promise, cross my heart and all that junk.
[Reply]
DBall 08:29 AM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by Riff Raff:
? Wow. I thought we were doing one a week. My Bad. I have smoked # 4 and written the review. It will be up tonight. Promise, cross my heart and all that junk.

I'm only pickin' on ya. 1/week is what I was aiming for... more is ok, but one a week will make it stretch out a bit more :-)
[Reply]
Riff Raff 05:05 PM 02-23-2010
Okay, okay. #4 is up! Quit your bellyaching!:-)
[Reply]
DBall 12:20 PM 02-24-2010
Montano Cigar #4

This cigar has some nice color to it. The wrapper has some rough edges on the cuts, seems to be from the veins. Pre-light draw was tight, and gave a basic tobacco flavor. The foot was also missing a small portion of the wrapper.

Initial flavor was not much of anything. Light amounts of smoke coming from the tight draw. I stabbed it with my poker, and that helped a bit. The first 3rd burned very uneven, but started to fix itself as the cigar progressed.

Not much changed as it moved to the second 3rd. Just a basic tobacco flavor, with minimal amounts of smoke. The burn was now even, and slow.

The cigar finished up much the same way it started, not a whole lot of flavor. If I had to guess, which of course I am, I would say this is the first NC cigar of the bunch. It wasn't a bad smoke, but I would not seek out more of them.

This was a mild smoke, and I would give it a 5.
[Reply]
DBall 12:22 PM 02-24-2010
Riff Raff Cigar #4

Okay. Almost halfway through this and here we have a real beauty of a cigar. Check this gem out:

A gorgeous corojo wrapper that is nice and velvety! It has that nice redish brown and the pre-light draw is perfect with tastes of sweet tobacco and hay.

First light: Oh My! Nice tastes of coffee and chocolate with some sweet spice thrown in. I think I am in for a treat!

1/3rd: Spice with some pepper. The burn is a bit uneven but nothing to complain about. There is a nice lingering finish. The retro-hale gives some nice woody and toasted coconut flavors. TONS of smoke from this perfect draw. The ash held for about 1.5 inches.

2/3rd: The flavor has changed to a nice woody flavor. If I had to pin it down, I would (no pun intended) say deciduous, not evergreen. Oak. There is still some pepper and spice there as well. Retro-hale still has a toasty flavor. Very nice. The aroma this stogie gives off smells of chocolate a bit.

3/3rd: Still a dominate oak flavor with some earthy overtones. The retro-hale gave off more of those toasted coconut flavors.

I nubbed this little beauty and got plenty of cedar mixed in with the earthiness.

Overall: This was a damn fine cigar. Definitely medium-full bodied and LOTS of flavorful smoke. The draw was consistently perfect throughout. Would I buy this cigar? You're damn right I will. I loved this stick! Best one of the lot so far. I give it a 9.4!

That is all!
[Reply]
DBall 12:25 PM 02-24-2010
What they smoked:

2007 Romeo y Julieta Corona

Montano score: 5
Riff Raff score: 9.4

Now I just think that Nick does not like habanos...
[Reply]
issues 12:29 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
What they smoked:

2007 Romeo y Julieta Corona

Montano score: 5
Riff Raff score: 9.4

I would agree.

From Bill's review it sounds like an amazing smoke...

I wonder if Nick's was a little over-humidified.

[Reply]
weak_link 12:33 PM 02-24-2010
I don't think I need to worry about Nick buying up all the cc's. :-)
[Reply]
MTBAlex 01:59 PM 02-24-2010
lol. that is such a contrasting review. still excellent read.
[Reply]
Riff Raff 02:57 PM 02-24-2010
This stick definitely had that WOW factor for me! The RH in my humi is right about 62%. So the habanos really seem to like it I guess! I am starting to get what smoking CC's is all about! Me Like!!!!:-)
[Reply]
Montano 04:59 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:

Perhaps that's a good thing, since I probably couldn't afford them :-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 13
« First < 345 67 > Last »
Up