Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Port problem
pnoon 02:44 PM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
Sound logic you bring at me Pete. Here's my problem with the whole thing. I spent $25 on a bottle of regular port and absolutely hated it. Therefore, I didn't want to waste that much money again on a bottle I was going to take two sips out of. I agree with you completely that it is a flawed approach. I'm just hoping that this bottle gives me some faith in a tawny at all. If I like, but don't love this bottle I'll be willing to drop more money on one that is more costly.
I completely understand your thinking. I would be thinking the same way.

I've always felt that port, more than regular wine and cigars, is less desireable at the lower end. (Cheap port is really bad. :-)) Some of the suggested tawny ports come in half-bottles for around $12-$15. An affordable tawny port is from Australia and is called Hardy's Whiskers Blake and runs around $13 for a full bottle. Not as refined as the aged tawny in the $20-$30 range but better than the cheapos.

Another option is to find someone (not necessarily a cigar smoker) in your social cirlcle who might want to sample a tawny as wwell and 2 or 3 of you could split the bottle.

You could always come out to the west coast and herf and drink with us SoCal BOTLs. :-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 03:18 PM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
You could always come out to the west coast and herf and drink with us SoCal BOTLs. :-)

Or if I ever had time away from this freakin job :-) I could actually herf with the brother who lives maybe 30 minutes away :-), and bring some good, but inexpensive, tawny.

Like this
[Reply]
yourchoice 03:23 PM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
...and bring some good, but inexpensive, tawny.

Like this
She does look cheap! :-)
[Reply]
TheRiddick 05:20 PM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
An affordable tawny port is from Australia and is called Hardy's Whiskers Blake and runs around $13 for a full bottle. Not as refined as the aged tawny in the $20-$30 range but better than the cheapos.
Not sure he'll like this one, Oz sweets are mostly sugar and unless you get into high end you won't find much acidity in them.

Perhaps he needs to try a late harvest Zinfandel, they usually contain a nice doze of acidity and also do not have as much sugar. One to try is Dashe, comes in splits (and goes great with chocolate desserts as well). There are a few more great ones, but they rarely make it out of CA.

Another recommendation is to try Spanish Sherries, ones made from Pedro Ximenez grape, I find them more of a cigar drink than most Ports.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:17 AM 04-03-2009
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
I picked up a bottle of tawny port to try. I think it was called Sheffield. I guarantee it's not any of the best, but I'm hoping that it will give me an idea of whether or not it's even worth trying to find a better bottle.
I guarantee that too.

It's like trying a Optimo for a cigar and saying you don't like cigars, so trying a Cohiba is not worth it...

A least get a tawny that is made in Portugal and has at least 10 years age on it.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:22 AM 04-03-2009
If money is the issue, try some aged tawny by the glass at a restaurant. Great way to decide on spirits without buying a bottle also.

What was it about the $25 bottle you tried and did not like? Perhaps port is not for you? It's not for everyone. PX Sherry is nice with cigars, but you'll only be able to drink a glass or two. Sauternes, Tokay, Late Harvest, Ice Wines are all wonderful, but price is a big deal on these. Sweet wines really need a minimum pricepoint to taste like anything.

I do not recommend port wine from any other country thatn Portugal.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:25 AM 04-03-2009
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Another recommendation is to try Spanish Sherries, ones made from Pedro Ximenez grape, I find them more of a cigar drink than most Ports.
I'd say that is true for just about all Spanish Sherry. Poor man's Madeira, lol... Actually Sherry is a give away for the age and effort that goes into it. One of the last hidden gem values in the wine world.

Sherry was one of the most popular wine styles in the USA for a long time, and now it's totally off the radar.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 01:03 PM 04-03-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I'd say that is true for just about all Spanish Sherry. Poor man's Madeira, lol... Actually Sherry is a give away for the age and effort that goes into it. One of the last hidden gem values in the wine world.

Sherry was one of the most popular wine styles in the USA for a long time, and now it's totally off the radar.
Some are hit and miss and they are all in different styles (and grapes). Even PX ones are all over the board, some are great and some are too sweet for me with not enough acidity to carry them. But they are relatively affordable for what's in the bottle and are easy on the wallet to try a few to see what one likes.

I was just curious about your quote in the prior post, do you drink more than a glass or two with cigar?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:17 PM 04-03-2009
I was just curious about your quote in the prior post, do you drink more than a glass or two with cigar?
Not of PX, actually not more than two glasses of anything with just one corona size cigar. I actually drink water most of the time with a cigar.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 07:59 PM 04-03-2009
Thought so :-) I know a lot of us can easily handle a bottle or more of dry wines, but when it comes to sweet stuff it is no more than glass, just too much stuffing in there.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:18 AM 04-04-2009
Thought so :-) I know a lot of us can easily handle a bottle or more of dry wines, but when it comes to sweet stuff it is no more than glass, just too much stuffing in there.

I have no problem killing a bottle of port by myself, but with a serious cigar, it's hard to drink as much. Our port tasting are set for a bottle a person. I've gone up to about 2 bottles before... Don't tell me my healthcare provider :-) :-)
[Reply]
tooomanycolors 11:47 AM 04-18-2009
bogle tawnt or sandemans reserve arent bad
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 11:13 PM 06-03-2009
....or a good tawny port from Australia.

Fonseca does make some very good ones, my first was Fonseca Bin 29.

[Reply]
Old Sailor 09:46 PM 06-05-2009
The best so far for me is Taylor Fladgate 20 yr. Hard to find here though, but well worth it.:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:22 AM 06-07-2009
Warre's "Nimrod" Port is suppose to be excellent for the price. Have not had it before, but I trust the people who told me.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up