Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 81 of 270
« First < 3171798081 828391131181 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
Mr B 10:31 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
To which Tupac says..."TIME AND TEMPS???!! I took pictures, now I am expected to remember
TIME AND TEMPS?!?!" You folks are freakin nuts.:-)

Nice work PAC, nopw you need to use colored pucks in your smoker to crank out Easter Eggs, lol.
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
:-)...Tupac, just throw some numbers out for Brent. He won't know the difference!

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield....I cant get no respect!!! :-)

:-)
[Reply]
tupacboy 04:01 PM 02-23-2011
ribs = smoke 3 hrs... 1.5 hrs foil... .5 hrs out of foil...

abt and eggs = smoke 2 hrs...

:-)

gonna try brisket next i think... any recs?
[Reply]
OLS 04:44 PM 02-23-2011
NOOooo. You gave up the times, lol.
Man, brisket I will stay out of. There are men on this thread who can make it dance and sing, I just ruin it.
It is pretty costly to be learning a new skill, at least for me. haha. I made mine, then chunked it up and
put it in a crock pot. It was fine after that, a bit dry for it's tenderness. Then there are the cuts, I look
at them and I just do not find them attractive for consumption. Tastes good, but I do love the pork.
[Reply]
Mr B 05:06 PM 02-23-2011
Brad, what was your time and temp on those brickets?
[Reply]
OLS 05:11 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Brad, what was your time and temp on those brickets?
:-) Let's just say I do not have the kind of pit that is conducive to low, STEADY, and slow.
I am lucky I make the best ribs in Memphis with as little control as i excercise.
[Reply]
tupacboy 11:30 AM 03-01-2011
another noob alert...

so i'm looking at this.. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/sho...25-WTS-Brisket

Seems like i need 4 hrs of smoke... then 2 hrs more... then "into the oven" until internal temp reaches 200...can i just keep in the smoker?... then it says FTC? what's FTC?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:51 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by tupacboy:
another noob alert...

so i'm looking at this.. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/sho...25-WTS-Brisket

Seems like i need 4 hrs of smoke... then 2 hrs more... then "into the oven" until internal temp reaches 200...can i just keep in the smoker?... then it says FTC? what's FTC?
Yes, you can do all the time in the smoker. That's actually preferable.

FTC = Foil, Towel, Cooler. You wrap the finished product in aluminum foil, then a towel, then into a emty cooler. This method will keep the meat moist and at warm temp until you're ready to serve. Works great when you're brisket gets done at 11am and you're not ready to eat until 5pm.
[Reply]
tupacboy 12:13 PM 03-01-2011
aww ic ic... thanks! so looks like roughly 16 hrs ish?.... man that's hard to time...
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:43 PM 03-01-2011
Yea, I've not done a brisket myself, but they can take that long.
[Reply]
Steve 03:08 PM 03-01-2011
Brisket is some dense meat. Sometimes it will "stall" at a particular internal temp and just sit there for a while, then all of a sudden it will jump up several degrees.

When I cook them it can take anywhere from 12-18 hours, depending on the size.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:32 PM 03-01-2011
I probably love eating ribs more than anything else I cook on the smoker. However, I think brisket is the most rewarding. Once you get them down it is no harder that cooking a pork butt.

I always cook whole packer briskets. The few times I did just a flat I ended up with a dried out piece of nothing. I cook them at 225 and use just a few mesquite chunks. I only want the smoke to run for six or so hours and I don't want it billowing smoke. I cook them to an internal temp of 170 and them foil them putting some beef broth in the foil. Then I put it back on the smoker until the internal temp is 190. Then I start checking it every 15 minutes or so until the probe goes in with almost no resistance. Then I put in a cooler with some towels to take up the extra space for at least an hour.

BTW... when I cook one at home I don't slice it like the above directions would dictate. I cut the whole thing into and inch or so chunks and make "burnt ends" out of the whole thing. I cut it at about 190 internal, put some more rub on it, put some sauce on it, put it into a tin foil pan, cover it, and put it back on the smoker for an hour. My family will eat that stuff like it is filet.
[Reply]
Steve 03:48 PM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
BTW... when I cook one at home I don't slice it like the above directions would dictate. I cut the whole thing into and inch or so chunks and make "burnt ends" out of the whole thing. I cut it at about 190 internal, put some more rub on it, put some sauce on it, put it into a tin foil pan, cover it, and put it back on the smoker for an hour. My family will eat that stuff like it is filet.
I love what your saying brother...Preach it Smoker-Man!!!

:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 04:42 PM 03-01-2011
Oh god, burnt ends. Cleanup, aisle 1. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 04:44 PM 03-01-2011
Interesting about the whole packer cut vs just a flat or blade cut. I once made pastrami out of a whole brisket, but didnt' separate the two smaller cuts. When i sliced it, I had some slices with opposing grains. Made for some tough eating. I was planning next time to use just a blade cut, but maybe I'll rethink that and make sure to separate the two before slicing.
[Reply]
OLS 05:38 PM 03-01-2011
That's a brilliant way to serve the meat Brent, never would have dawned on me, Everybody gets an end cut.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:49 PM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Interesting about the whole packer cut vs just a flat or blade cut. I once made pastrami out of a whole brisket, but didnt' separate the two smaller cuts. When i sliced it, I had some slices with opposing grains. Made for some tough eating. I was planning next time to use just a blade cut, but maybe I'll rethink that and make sure to separate the two before slicing.
I had never seen pastrami made out of anything other than the flat until a couple of years ago. I had some made out of the point and it was just plain nasty. The fat wasn't rendered out and it just didn't work for me!!

Originally Posted by OLS:
That's a brilliant way to serve the meat Brent, never would have dawned on me, Everybody gets an end cut.
Yep Brad... it is the stuff!!! Even if you dry out a brisket a bit you can chunk it up, add a little beef broth and sauce and make people think you know what your are doing:-)
[Reply]
OLS 11:26 AM 03-02-2011
Even if you dry out a brisket a bit you can chunk it up, add a little beef broth and sauce
and make people think you know what your are doing:-)
Oh the one I dumped in the crock pot after drying it out on the smoker was great.
Just damaged me psychologically. Well that and being dropped on my head at 1.5 yrs.
[Reply]
Stevez 02:18 PM 03-02-2011
I probably love eating ribs more than anything else I cook on the smoker. However, I think brisket is the most rewarding. Once you get them down it is no harder that cooking a pork butt.

I always cook whole packer briskets. The few times I did just a flat I ended up with a dried out piece of nothing. I cook them at 225 and use just a few mesquite chunks. I only want the smoke to run for six or so hours and I don't want it billowing smoke. I cook them to an internal temp of 170 and them foil them putting some beef broth in the foil. Then I put it back on the smoker until the internal temp is 190. Then I start checking it every 15 minutes or so until the probe goes in with almost no resistance. Then I put in a cooler with some towels to take up the extra space for at least an hour.

Ditto to what Smoking Gator said. I ruined my first brisket, second and third were tough and now it is my family's favorite. Must admit, I've never made the burnt ends, but everyone on the smoking sites just rants/raves. I have to try it next time. Honestly, people now rave on my brisket and it's not that hard, but definitely time consuming. I go for the overnight route now and love it. Keep trying! Steve
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:58 PM 03-02-2011
So what's the secret to a good brisket?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Stevez 10:20 AM 03-03-2011
For me the biggest difference is cooking until tender and not "done". I like pulling mine at 185 or so and then foiling for a least an hour. Early tries for me had me pulling too soon, not accurately measuring the internal temps. I also have found that I do much better with a full packer as it seems easier to keep moist and tender. The final thing for me is to find a good place to get decent meat. I can't find anything decent at standard grocery stores, but have found nice choice meat at a local butcher or even at Costco (for me this is consistent though). Practice!
[Reply]
Page 81 of 270
« First < 3171798081 828391131181 > Last »
Up