Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Entertainment>Wireless TV Display equipment?
ucubed 05:24 PM 07-18-2011
So I have only 1 laptop that is Intel WiDi capable, meaning this is the only laptop I can use for Netgear's push to tv box or Belkin's similar product. So what I'm wondering for you other techies out there is what can I use for laptop's that do not have Intel's WiDi technology?

I've been doing some research and I've seen products such as Warpia's wireless display that utilizes a usb port and then streams to the tv (as shown here http://www.amazon.com/Warpia-Wireles...1031382&sr=1-3). Are there better ways, or better quality ways to stream media from laptops to tv using similar products? If so what products do you recommend? I've seen several other ones and I'm not sure about this specific niche of technology
[Reply]
ucubed 10:23 AM 07-20-2011
just a friendly bump before I bite the bullet and just buy the darn thing and test it out
[Reply]
J0eybb 10:27 AM 07-20-2011
I've played with DLNA. Same concept I suppose.

I just use the HDMI.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:28 AM 07-20-2011
I don't really know anything about this stuff or if this even applies, but my friend swears by Apple TV. Just throwing that out there.
[Reply]
J0eybb 11:00 AM 07-20-2011
I've also used google TV, but personally do not own one. seems like fun.
[Reply]
Wanger 12:25 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I don't really know anything about this stuff or if this even applies, but my friend swears by Apple TV. Just throwing that out there.
x2

Otherwise...:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:37 PM 07-20-2011
It's not clear to me that everyone is talking about the same technology. I belive the OP is asking about technology to connect their laptop to the TV -- in effect making the TV an output device (additional monitor) for the laptop? Is that correct?

I think some of these other technologies (Sling Player, Apple TV, Google TV, etc.) are the other way around -- getting a TV single from your home or other source to your (wireless or wired) laptop.
[Reply]
ucubed 02:56 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
It's not clear to me that everyone is talking about the same technology. I belive the OP is asking about technology to connect their laptop to the TV -- in effect making the TV an output device (additional monitor) for the laptop? Is that correct?

I think some of these other technologies (Sling Player, Apple TV, Google TV, etc.) are the other way around -- getting a TV single from your home or other source to your (wireless or wired) laptop.
Essentially that is what I am saying with the former portion. Netgear's Push to tv is a box that connects to the tv while the WiDi capable computer may stream through the box it's content and then displays onto the tv. My question is what happens when WiDi technology is not present and what hardware such as that Warpia would be useful around that problem.
[Reply]
Wanger 08:14 AM 07-21-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:

Using Apple TV, the TV does become an output device. You can stream from it to the TV. We've done Netflix on there, and other movie downloads from Apple, plus the radio stations that they stream. Additionally, you can access your entire iTunes library on it, from a (wirelessly) connected computer. Haven't tried to access any other content on the computer through it, though. But that's beside the point, I'm guessing, sicne the language seems to have turned into a foreign language to me. LOL
[Reply]
J0eybb 11:14 PM 07-24-2011
on Woot.com for tonight, and tomorrow.

Roku HD Wireless Media Player

http://www.woot.com/sale/roku-hd-pla...m_medium=email

no affiliation, etc.
[Reply]
ucubed 12:33 AM 07-25-2011
well it would work if that were all that I wanted to stream...basically my mother has chinese streams that uses some sort of software or another and the only way to get that to stream is via something other than the apple or roku
[Reply]
Up