Page 6 of 21
« First < 456 7816 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>What is your favorite Scotch Whisky
Jbailey 02:11 PM 01-01-2009
Dalwhinnie 15yr is tasty too.
[Reply]
ChasDen 08:18 PM 01-01-2009
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
I will assume that your into the standard Chivas, which is a 12yo, and very good. However, if you really want to fall in love, and down a new slope, give Chivas 18yo a try. It's amazing, however, it will set you back about sixty bucks a bottle. It's a blend and far better than most Single Malts out there!
Yep, 12 year old is the go to here. The 18 year is truly amazing :-)

Just finished a bottle last week (gift, I only buy it once or twice a year).

I have been told by others to just buy the 18 yr CR and stay away from the single malts so I don't know.

Chas
[Reply]
kayaker 08:28 PM 01-01-2009
Originally Posted by ChasDen:
I have been told by others to just buy the 18 yr CR and stay away from the single malts so I don't know.
Scotch, usually single malts, are my preference, but I'll try anything. I've found some Irish whiskies that I like, as well as, Canadian rye.

Don't limit yourself, but if you're not into malt whisky, then that's your personal preference. I have friends who love rye, but really don't like malt.

I drink what I like and like what I drink, and try new stuff to expand my taste.
[Reply]
alley00p 10:16 PM 01-01-2009
I've always been a bourbon drinker, but my local cigar hangout usually has scotch instead, and the guys there have slowly have been converting me. My favorites so far are:

Dalwhinnie 15
Maclallan's 15

The Maclallan was very smooth, but I favored the Dalwhinnie with it's peppery taste on the first sip. I'm looking forward to trying many of the suggested whiskys in the thread, especially the peat or smoky flavored types. :-)

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Teeznutz 04:49 PM 01-21-2009
Macallan 18, JW Blue and Gold, Grand Old Parr.........too bad i can't find a place that sells the latter......
[Reply]
s15driftking 04:55 PM 01-21-2009
i tried my first single malt this weekends. i believe it was called GlennFiddick? very smooth
[Reply]
omowasu 05:17 PM 01-22-2009
There are two awesome single-malts that i have recently had the pleasure of imbibing. These are two standouts from the crowd and not overly expensive:

Lagavulin 16
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or

Both will eventually become permanent standbys in the Scotch cabinet. And both can be had for 55-70.00 USD depending on your tax burden....
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 05:29 PM 01-22-2009
Originally Posted by omowasu:
There are two awesome single-malts that i have recently had the pleasure of imbibing. These are two standouts from the crowd and not overly expensive:

Lagavulin 16
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or

Both will eventually become permanent standbys in the Scotch cabinet. And both can be had for 55-70.00 USD depending on your tax burden....
:-) They are both Outstanding Selections!!! No well stocked Whiskey stash/collection should be without them.
[Reply]
Savvy 03:28 PM 02-28-2009
Picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 15 today. $38/bottle, figured for a 15 it was a good price. Going to try it out tomorrow most likely, been drinking port instead tonight.
[Reply]
kayaker 04:47 PM 02-28-2009
I'm really enjoying my bottle of Bruichladdich 18yo (2nd. ed.).
[Reply]
Cyanide 06:01 PM 02-28-2009
What was that scotch you had me try last time? That was the only scotch I ever could tolerate. Interestingly, I not only found it tolerable but I actually liked it. That's a complete turn around for my scotch capacity.

I will have to investigate good pairings between scotch and foods/gars.
[Reply]
lightning9191 06:08 PM 02-28-2009
I picked up a bottle of Bowmore 12 year on the way home today....never tried it before. I might try that later tonight.
[Reply]
kayaker 06:52 PM 02-28-2009
Bowmore is one of my favourites. Hope you enjoy it.

Cyanide, it was the Bowmore 15 (Mariner) that we had.
[Reply]
lightning9191 07:05 PM 02-28-2009
I went ahead and poured myself a few fingers of the Bowmore. I really enjoy it....it's like a toned down Laphroaig.
[Reply]
colimo 11:10 PM 03-26-2009
first of all, i will admit to being a single malt scotch snob....i prefer them over the blended scotches....got a great education and enjoyment from a malt whiskey tour of scotland last year.....

my favorite single malt is a mortlach distillery 16 yr old cask strength, although virually unobtainable and expensive at $ 120/btl...

the one i enjoy at a more reasonable price and will serve to good friends is glenlivet or macallan 12 year old, (yes i prefer the speyside scotches)

i found years ago and keep it on hand as my everyday drinking scotch and one that i will serve to anyone is McClellands speyside, can get a 1.75 ltr for around $ 33.00...did some research and found out that the company that owns it is also the parent company of McCallan, so there is likely some of that in there
[Reply]
76GTFan 07:19 AM 04-04-2009
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Laphroig 30 yr
Balvenie 17 yr sherry cask
Hedonism by Compass Bos (a vatted grain whisky).
I would say Johnnie Walker Gold. I just can't do the pete. Laphroig is very unique, I just can't do that pete flavor. Just haven't worked up to it. Much more into irish whiskey.
[Reply]
AD720 07:50 AM 04-04-2009
Originally Posted by kayaker:
I'm really enjoying my bottle of Bruichladdich 18yo (2nd. ed.).
I had two glasses of this earlier this week. It was excellent! I found it to be a bit on the spicy side and I really enjoyed it except for the bar price!
[Reply]
kayaker 11:34 AM 04-04-2009
I really like it. It has a lot of very subtle tastes it there. I can't pick them all out but it's quite complex and tasty.

It sells at one store I know for $128 but the Costco Liquor store here has it for $99.

I just bought a bottle of BenRiach Curiositas. Basically a peaty Speysider. I had a small taste a while back but haven't dipped into this one yet.
[Reply]
D. Generate 01:23 PM 04-04-2009
Oh, whisky. My other great vice. I am fortunate to have access to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society so a great deal of what I purchase is through them; single-barrel single-malts. They are absolutely outstanding and I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Outside of the society I am a great fan of independent bottlers. Seriously everyone who likes whisky should be looking at these guys. Particularly since in the 70s and 80s when single malt wasn't in demand, a lot of barrels ended up in their hands. They have been rising in price in the past few years but some can still be found for a bargain.

I don't like the current trend to finish everything in a sherry cask or similar. It has its place, but it's a limited place and is being abused (I'm looking at you Bruichladdich).

Aside from the Society and independent bottlers my faves would be:

Caol Ila 18 year
Lagavulin 16
Talisker 10
Ardbeg Uisgedagh
Bruichladdich 18 (You can pretty much keep any other regular production Brookie)
Rosebank (There are some still out there)
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Yoichi 15 and 20 (THE Japanese whisky to try - forget Yamakazi!)

I find the Highland Park and Jura love completely perplexing. Every variety I have ever had of them has been so one-note that I have never been tempted for a second dram.
[Reply]
BamBam 01:27 PM 04-04-2009
Glendullan "The Singleton" 12 year :-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 21
« First < 456 7816 > Last »
Up