Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Review: Casa Magna
DarenH 09:58 AM 08-05-2009
Tried this one on a whim. Very "oaky" with a finish that has a distinctive "black pepper" taste. Did not like the first half-inch - but it soon mellowed out and was enjoyable. Not my favorite smoke. But, one I would buy if none of my favorites were available - and certainly one I would accept as a gift. Overall I would give it a B+.
[Reply]
Giant & 49er Fan 10:23 AM 08-05-2009
...and certainly NOT cigar of the year :-) ... but an enjoyable smoke. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
JJG 11:06 AM 08-06-2009
yeah, I've avoided buying any of these until now even though my local b&m has them and I will probably continue to do so. not to change the subject but does anyone know how CA votes on things like this? I mean, I'm sure this isn't a bad cigar but, best in the world?
[Reply]
Starscream 11:10 AM 08-06-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
yeah, I've avoided buying any of these until now even though my local b&m has them and I will probably continue to do so. not to change the subject but does anyone know how CA votes on things like this? I mean, I'm sure this isn't a bad cigar but, best in the world?
You could add the create a poll option to a thread if you want people to vote on it.
[Reply]
Poe 11:11 AM 08-06-2009
I agree, i found it was an ok-good smoke but nothing remarkable.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 11:12 AM 08-06-2009
Agreed, much better smokes for the money. Ambos Mundos comes to mind....

And welcome to the asylum, from a local!
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 11:18 AM 08-06-2009
I was gifted a couple of these by NCRadioGuy last year and found them to be an excellent smoke, very much to my liking. Not sure how CA arrives at their rating, but I would definitely buy them if someone around here carried them.
[Reply]
ValorBali41 12:29 PM 08-06-2009
If its just a good smoke, then how did it get Cigar of the year 2008? Are we to believe that we can not trust Cigar Aficionado?
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:32 PM 08-06-2009
Originally Posted by ValorBali41:
Are we to believe that we can not trust Cigar Aficionado?
You can trust them to have an opinion... just like anyone else.
[Reply]
Mark 12:56 PM 08-06-2009
We sell these in the shop were I work JUST based on the fact that we have a "Cigar Aficionado #1" tag on the box. Ridiculous.
[Reply]
jerseystepup 01:59 PM 08-06-2009
Anyone find these smokes to last ridiculously longer than normal?
[Reply]
Doctorossi 02:02 PM 08-06-2009
Originally Posted by jerseystepup:
Anyone find these smokes to last ridiculously longer than normal?
Maybe that's why Aficionado likes 'em. Not only are they cheap, they're two cigars in one!
[Reply]
Mr B 02:53 PM 08-06-2009
I just had my first one today (thanks Bob). I really liked the flavors. It had some burn issues but I blame that on a windy day.
[Reply]
greenwit 09:00 PM 08-06-2009
Saw the thread title and thought to myself, 'I gotta finally try one of those.' Then I thought the next moment, I have already. LOL. :-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:37 PM 08-06-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
not to change the subject but does anyone know how CA votes on things like this?
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher:
Not sure how CA arrives at their rating, but I would definitely buy them if someone around here carried them.
We refer to them bastages as cA in these parts. :-)

As for the smoke, I've been looking for a single in a couple B&M's close by for a while now and haven't seen it available. Does this stick have a limited distribution?
[Reply]
Steelergar 09:44 PM 08-06-2009
You guys do know that CA owns this brand, which to me explains their ratings for it. But I still want to try it.
[Reply]
ValorBali41 10:22 PM 08-06-2009
Originally Posted by Mark:
We sell these in the shop were I work JUST based on the fact that we have a "Cigar Aficionado #1" tag on the box. Ridiculous.
Its a shame this happens. To a more inexperienced smoker, cigar Aficionado is the place to start. I know I started there. But everything must be taken with a grain of salt. No one should sell a stick just because 1 magazine rated it as the best. As the great Zino Davidoff once said, "The greatest cigar to smoke is the one you are currently smoking". Its all personal preference, and the only influencing force to buy a cigar should be personal curiosity, not because a magazine told you. Although the Aficionado's Cigar Companion is a great read :-)
[Reply]
apNgb 10:29 PM 08-06-2009
Originally Posted by RPguy:
...and certainly NOT cigar of the year :-) ... but an enjoyable smoke. Thanks for the review.
couldn't have said it any better :-)
[Reply]
Doctorossi 11:01 PM 08-06-2009
To a more inexperienced smoker, cigar Aficionado is the place to start. I know I started there.
Maybe this was the case in the first 4 or so years of the mag, but I can't see how it could be now. Good luck even finding a word printed about cigars in the editorial of that thing. Their name change to "How To Timeshare a Private Jet To a Golf Course In Las Vegas Magazine" is long overdue.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:27 AM 08-07-2009
If its just a good smoke, then how did it get Cigar of the year 2008? Are we to believe that we can not trust Cigar Aficionado?
They take into account flavor, construction and affordability. Or so they say. No, you cannot trust that rag, imo.

Originally Posted by Mark:
We have that problem as well. Too many people put too much stock in the ca's ratings. Although we sell quite alot of the Magna's.

Originally Posted by Steelergar:
You guys do know that CA owns this brand, which to me explains their ratings for it. But I still want to try it.
Please elaborate. To my knowledge, they are the result of a joint endeavor between Manuel Quesada, maker of Fonseca and the founder of MATASA, and Nestor Plasencia and poduced by Plasencia’s Segovia factory in Esteli:

To a more inexperienced smoker, cigar Aficionado is the place to start.
Couldn't disagree more. This and other boards like it is the perfect starting place. Besides, Smoke, Cigar, Cigar Press and The European Cult Cigar Journal are all much, much, much better.

Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
Maybe this was the case in the first 4 or so years of the mag, but I can't see how it could be now. Good luck even finding a word printed about cigars in the editorial of that thing. Their name change to "How To Timeshare a Private Jet To a Golf Course In Las Vegas Magazine" is long overdue.
:-) With about 14-18% actual cigar content in a rag called "Cigar Aficionado" is a joke.

These are good cigars but like all Nic puros, they must be stored close to 60% rh for them to shine.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up