Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Felipe Gregorio Tres Capas
kaisersozei 09:19 PM 09-06-2009
Today was a homebrew day--and since beer is brewed with three main ingredients, I felt it was appropriate to light up a triple-wrapped Felipe Gergorio Tres Capas to spend some time while I brewed.

Wrapper: Connecticut, Sumatra (DR,) and Candela (Nic)
Binder: Olor Dominicano (DR)
Filler: Piloto Cubano (DR)
Vitola: Corona Gorda (6x46)

Appearance/Construction
The picture speaks for itself--an unusual, eye-catching cigar. Smooth, lightly veined, well filled. Nice draw, but it didn’t put out much smoke. The burn never got unbalanced but was wavy, except it would straighten out while it rested. Never needed a relight, even though I’d let it sit for minutes at a time while I was distracted with the beer. The white/dark gray ash was flaky, with a tendency to drop every ½ inch. I managed to make this last just over an hour.

Flavor
The prelight draw was not impressive: tobacco and stale air, so I was a bit concerned. That only lasted until I lit it up. This turned out to be a very :-) cigar. Predominantly sweet, but with a combination of other flavors (nutty, toasted grains, toffee, slightly earthy) and a spiciness that would come and go, leaving a brief tingling on my tongue. Surprisingly, I felt that it also had something of a cc “twang,” and given the other flavors, I was reminded of a Boli or PL. The finish was short, the aroma was very pleasant. On the mild side of medium in body, definitely mild in strength.

Overall
I really liked this cigar. Not sure if it’s accurate, but I can’t shake the opinion that barberpole cigars are a bit gimmicky--the only other one I’ve smoked, though, has been the Taboo Twist (and it’s in my Top 20!) Nevertheless, the Tres Capas was a very good smoke—I enjoyed it even better than the Taboo! I would definitely smoke another.

These are available online for about $6 each by the box. I received mine as part of a birthday bomb from AD720—thanks so much for the opportunity to try this, Andrew!
[Reply]
SupremePie 02:06 PM 09-10-2009
I personally am a huge fan of multi-capas cigars. Thank you for the review, did you buy this in VA? If so where?
[Reply]
Up