Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 11
< 123 45 > Last »
Sports>Winter Olympics!!
mithrilG60 05:09 AM 02-14-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
I disagree, but I am also biased. :-)
I'd disagree too. They both skied amazingly well, Kearney just skiied that little bit better. The difference being basically the landing of Heil's second air. Disappointing that she didn't defend her gold from Torino but it's not like she choked or was robbed by the judges..... just beaten cleanly be a competitor who was better on that day.
[Reply]
Kreth 08:21 AM 02-14-2010
Interesting backstory with Kearney. It was cool to see her win. Still, I'd like to see Canada pick up some gold. You always want the host country to do well... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
icehog3 11:34 AM 02-14-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Interesting backstory with Kearney. It was cool to see her win. Still, I'd like to see Canada pick up some gold. You always want the host country to do well... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't worry...they will. :-) :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 12:17 PM 02-14-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Don't worry...they will. :-) :-)
The Russians may throw a wrench into that.....

There is A LOT of pressure on the Canadian Club to bring home gold...it will be interesting to see how they handle it.....
[Reply]
JE3146 01:23 PM 02-14-2010
Originally Posted by adampc22:
man u got that womens mogel gold stolen from you the canadian girl did way better than the yank girl i thought
No way, Kearney had perfect form, flawless jumps including a MONSTER heli AND the fastest run of the evening.

There's times where I just watch in awe of a competitor and that was her last night. Had nothing to do with nationality or anything. It was fun to watch her compete. She was good.

Also watched in awe as the Koreans took eachother out on short track. :-)
[Reply]
DrDubzz 03:27 PM 02-14-2010
Nordic Combined Silver, first medal ever in that event, finished 2, 4, 6
[Reply]
bscottskangum 04:11 PM 02-14-2010
Originally Posted by RX2010:
Nordic Combined Silver, first medal ever in that event, finished 2, 4, 6
They should finish well in the team event
[Reply]
E.J. 04:39 PM 02-14-2010
Know what is cool about the Olympics.... I was jumping up and down watching the finish of an event(Nordic Combined) that I am not even sure what the sport consists of.

I was just excited that there was someone from my Country leading and possibly getting a medal in a sport the United States never has....
[Reply]
DrDubzz 04:55 PM 02-14-2010
Originally Posted by E.J.:
Know what is cool about the Olympics.... I was jumping up and down watching the finish of an event(Nordic Combined) that I am not even sure what the sport consists of.

I was just excited that there was someone from my Country leading and possibly getting a medal in a sport the United States never has....
+1 I'm going to need some xanax on hand for the next couple weeks
[Reply]
pnoon 05:19 PM 02-14-2010
I love the Olympics but the horrendous glut of commercials makes it impossible to watch.
During the biathlon it was 2-3 minutes of coverage followed by an equal amount of commerical time. And the 2-3 minutes ov coverage wasn't even necessarily action. Sometimes it was just announcers yakking.

Eventually, I got disgusted and turned them off. Sad that the telecasts are more about the sponsors than the competition.
[Reply]
hotreds 05:40 PM 02-14-2010
Yup, Peter- that is why I don't watch them! When I lived in Europe, I spent hours in front of the idiot box watching the Winter Olympics- no commercials and no boring "background" kwatch. NBC seems to think we prefer "human interest" stories than sports action. Fogedaboutit! I used to love the skiing and jumping and skating- now it's impossible to watch a cut up presentation tattered by commercials and background stories!
[Reply]
adampc22 12:26 AM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I love the Olympics but the horrendous glut of commercials makes it impossible to watch.
During the biathlon it was 2-3 minutes of coverage followed by an equal amount of commerical time. And the 2-3 minutes ov coverage wasn't even necessarily action. Sometimes it was just announcers yakking.

Eventually, I got disgusted and turned them off. Sad that the telecasts are more about the sponsors than the competition.
bb2 no adverts :-)
[Reply]
adampc22 12:28 AM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by JE3146:
No way, Kearney had perfect form, flawless jumps including a MONSTER heli AND the fastest run of the evening.

There's times where I just watch in awe of a competitor and that was her last night. Had nothing to do with nationality or anything. It was fun to watch her compete. She was good.

Also watched in awe as the Koreans took eachother out on short track. :-)
jordan and kearney sitting in a tree :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 12:47 AM 02-15-2010
I've enjoyed watching this year. Last night's short track race was insane...the Korean short track skater taking out his team mate on the final turn to give the US a 2-3 finish! :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:21 AM 02-15-2010
Current Medal List.

United States 6
Germany 4
France 3
Canada 3
South Korea 2
Italy 2
Czech Republic 1
Netherlands 1
Switzerland 1
Slovakia 1
Australia 1
Norway 1
Poland 1
Austria 1
Croatia 1
Russia 1
[Reply]
mithrilG60 10:37 AM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by E.J.:
There is A LOT of pressure on the Canadian Club to bring home gold...it will be interesting to see how they handle it.....
They'll be fine. The team is made up almost entirely by franchise players and 35% of Team Canada roster are captains of their respective NHL teams. They're used to carrying all the fan expectations for their NHL clubs and while the Olympics adds more pressure, it's not that big a difference for professional players.
[Reply]
JE3146 11:33 AM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by adampc22:
jordan and kearney sitting in a tree :-)
I've skied since I was 5 years old :-)

I have a lot of respect for mogul competitors. They're usually compared by the amount of knee surgery they've had done. It's a ridiculous event, but when done right is very impressive :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 12:10 PM 02-15-2010
Watching the luge finals last night I saw a guy waving a DDR flag near the finish line. Ahhh, for the good old days. The Olympics just isn't the same without Commies. Back then it was easy. USA = good. CCCP and DDR = bad. Good guys waved American flags and were on the front of the Wheaties box. Bad guys looked like freakish steroid-ridden charactures of The Hulk. Especially the women. Now I don't even know most of the new "Soviet" countries. Much as we may not like the Chinese, they just don't elicit the same visceral hatred we had for the Russians and East Germans. We never had air raid drills in elementary school because the Chinese were going to blow us all to Kingdom Come.

Maybe if the Taliban fielded an Olympic team we could recapture a bit of the "Us vs. Them" of the good old days.
[Reply]
Kreth 12:14 PM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
Maybe if the Taliban fielded an Olympic team we could recapture a bit of the "Us vs. Them" of the good old days.
Not likely, with Underwear Bombing having been shot down as an exhibition event for the 2012 Olympics... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:17 PM 02-15-2010
If anyone is interested, here is the ESPN international live stream: http://behaya.info/link1.html

Snowboarding next!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 11
< 123 45 > Last »
Up