Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 18 of 42
« First < 8161718 192028 > Last »
Good Eats>Sous vide
pnoon 03:52 PM 11-30-2016
Another noob question.

Preheat the water before adding the food? Most recipes I've seen say to do this. But I trust you guys more.

And an observation.
Using the app on the phone to set time, temp, and start the unit seems pointless unless one puts the food in a room temp water bath for an extended period and then wants to start the process without getting up and without preheating. And I've seen no mention of how much time to add for preheating.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:37 PM 11-30-2016
The timer does not start until the water is at the desired temp. I always heat the water before adding my food.
[Reply]
pnoon 07:47 PM 11-30-2016
First cook is done. And I'm quite pleased.

Did a large boneless skinless chicken breast. It was already in the foodsaver bag with no herbs or seasoning. Also had a a 1-1.25" thick boneless pork loin chop that I used a dry rub on.
Cooked both at 145 for 90 minutes. Added salt and pepper to the chicken. Finished in a cast iron skillet.

The pork chop was tender and flavorful. Certainly not dry but not as juicy as I had expected. Maybe dial it down to 135-140 next time.
The chicken was fabulous! Even with just salt and pepper. Can't wait to try different herbs/seasonings for the next effort of chicken.

Going grocery shopping tomorrow. Have to get me some steak for the weekend. :-)
And finish it with a Searzall.

I'm hooked.
[Reply]
bonjing 08:32 PM 11-30-2016
One thing I've noticed with my anova and using the app, is that when the anova beeps I toss my food in the water. But I do have to remember to acknowledge that it's at temp on my phone or else the timer won't start.
[Reply]
Stevez 11:01 AM 12-01-2016
Must say I'm super intrigued by this thread and the concept of this cooking. Can't stay away from it when I see new posts, but I'm also very leery of going down another rabbit hole. I have so many already. Just got a new Big Green Egg keeping me busy, but this food looks incredible. Probably just need to start digging a new hole!
[Reply]
pnoon 09:37 AM 12-04-2016
Did some salmon last night.
Light salt. Small dab of butter. Fresh dill. And slices of lime.
Cooked at 127 for 30 minutes. No finish.
Delicious!

[Reply]
pnoon 05:04 PM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Took a shot at a boneless pork chop last night. I tend to avoid pork chops because they dry out so easily. Not this one! Really juicy. I put it in the water bath naked - no herbs or seasoning. After it came out of the bath, I rubbed it down with some pork seasoning and seared it on a cast iron skillet with some thinly shaved slices of garlic in canola oil. Good flavor, decent sear. I'm still not wild about pork chops, but if Grace gets a craving, this is how we're doing them.

Do you remember what time and temp you used?
[Reply]
pnoon 01:41 PM 12-15-2016
Bueller . . .
[Reply]
jonumberone 03:42 PM 12-15-2016
Sorry no pics, but I did a bottom round roast beef this past weekend.
131° for 11hrs.
Absolutely spectacular!
[Reply]
Alpedhuez55 01:51 PM 12-16-2016
I got an Anova Blutooth Cooker on Black Friday. I was waiting for them to drop below $100. Still have not used it yet. I guess I could this weekend, but I think I am going to be making Jambalaya on Sunday. So I may wait until Christmas to open it.
[Reply]
T.G 02:53 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Sorry no pics, but I did a bottom round roast beef this past weekend.
131° for 11hrs.
Absolutely spectacular!
I've done this with other cuts but never bottom round (or at least i don't recall using bottom round).

Do you happen to remember what the weight was?
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:20 AM 12-18-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
I've done this with other cuts but never bottom round (or at least i don't recall using bottom round).

Do you happen to remember what the weight was?
It was in the 3 - 4lb range. Probably closer to 3 than 4.
[Reply]
T.G 09:41 AM 12-18-2016
It was in the 3 - 4lb range. Probably closer to 3 than 4.
Cool. I decided to try one yesterday, same time and temp, but just shy of 3lbs (probably about 2.5 after I removed the fat cap). Didn't open the bag, just straight to the refrigerator, will open and sear it today when it's cold, that way I don't change the internal cooking doneness as much.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 10:49 AM 12-21-2016
After looking at this thread for a long time I went shopping. An Anova and a beef tenderloin came home with me. so excited. I love beef extremely rare.
Thanks for the push down the sous vide slope brothers.:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:02 AM 12-21-2016
We're only too glad to help, Jeff :-)
[Reply]
Flynnster 06:40 AM 12-24-2016
Well, got an Anova for christmas. Went bluetooth instead of Wifi.
[Reply]
jonumberone 07:06 AM 12-24-2016
Did a 39oz Porterhouse steak the other night.
I haven't purchased a steak less than 2 inches thick in close to a year.
I love how the thicker steaks come out with the Anova. The worst part is having to share. :-)

[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:43 AM 12-24-2016
That's not a steak, that's a roast for a small family. :-)
[Reply]
Tio Gato 10:28 AM 12-24-2016
Did a 39oz Porterhouse steak the other night.
I haven't purchased a steak less than 2 inches thick in close to a year.
I love how the thicker steaks come out with the Anova. The worst part is having to share. :-)

Wow Dom that's gorgeous. Can you share temp and time please? My mind is running wild with thoughts of how the inside came out. Got any pics of that?
Thanks so much.:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:12 AM 12-24-2016
Looks good, Dom! I think I need to visit New Jersey soon :-)
[Reply]
Page 18 of 42
« First < 8161718 192028 > Last »
Up