View Poll Results: Puff or no puff?
Puff 78 52.00%
No puff 72 48.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Do you puff when lighting cigars
staminator 12:38 PM 01-13-2011
Continuing with my theme of asking people's opinions on cigar smoking habits....

I have received differing advice on how exactly to light a cigar. Previously, I had always held the cigar above a flame and puffed to light the foot. Someone (you know who you are), suggested that I not puff on the cigar while lighting it, but simply heat the foot with a torch or soft flame until the cigar was fully lit. On the other hand, I have seen some veteran cigar smokers puff on their cigars while lighting (of course creating a sizable flame off the end of their cigars).

So I ask you, Asylum members, what are your :-)?

Really there are two options as I see it... 1. puff while lighting 2. don't puff while lighting. What is your rationale for either side.
[Reply]
HK3- 12:40 PM 01-13-2011
No puff for me. (I like gorillas!:-))
[Reply]
E.J. 12:41 PM 01-13-2011
I toast, then puff while lighting....no reason, just how I do it.
[Reply]
hscmit 12:43 PM 01-13-2011
no puff
[Reply]
wayner123 12:44 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by staminator:
Really there are two options as I see it... 1. puff while lighting 2. don't puff while lighting. What is your rationale for either side.
I don't usually puff when lighting. I say usually because sometimes I care less about how I begin a cigar. I normally use the Puisias Method to light a cigar. I find that it greatly helps not to alter the flavor.
[Reply]
Ogre 12:45 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by E.J.:
:-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 12:46 PM 01-13-2011
+1
[Reply]
Mr B 12:49 PM 01-13-2011
No Puff.
I toast the foot until it is fully lit. Blow on the foot to make sure the entire foot is glowing. Then the first thing I do, before drawing is one little, quick purge (without the flame) just to blow out any Butane smell that might have pushed into the cigar during the lighting process (it takes a good 25 seconds or so of the torch to full light). Weather or not the small purge is necessary or not, its just something I do every time.
[Reply]
BigCat 12:53 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Mr B:
No Puff.
I toast the foot until it is fully lit. Blow on the foot to make sure the entire foot is glowing. Then the first thing I do, before drawing is one little, quick purge (without the flame) just to blow out any Butane smell that might have pushed into the cigar during the lighting process (it takes a good 25 seconds or so of the torch to full light). Weather or not the small purge is necessary or not, its just something I do every time.
+1, except I don't always do the purge after I make sure the entire foot is lit.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 01:07 PM 01-13-2011
I utilize a method that is quite secret, involved, and amazing. It involves acrobatics, an infrared temp gun (w/laser, natch), beverages of questionable quality, and midgets...

Sorry...er... little people.......

Anyway, have you ever seen a Cirque du Soliel show? Okay, now think weirder. And with sharp stuff. Jets of flame. Mimes.
[Reply]
markem 01:12 PM 01-13-2011
For some people and some cigars, puffing while lighting can lead to a acrid or other poor flavor that can be quite nasty to purge.

Like many others, I light without drawing on the cigar simultaneously (see how well I avoided *that* word). I tend to toast and then blow on the foot to see if it is lit properly. Sometime, I don't cut the head of the cigar until after I'm gotten the foot properly lit. For some large ring gauge cigars, I've detected a bit of a difference.

If I was more of a snob, I'd borrow Pete's little people and that big bowl of pudding he keeps on the patio, but I am so lazy that way.
[Reply]
T.G 01:12 PM 01-13-2011
I have Mila light them for me, I don't pay any attention to what she does.
[Reply]
markem 01:15 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
I have Mila light them for me, I don't pay any attention to what she does.
Yes you do. We all know you do. We also know that you take videos.

One word: share
[Reply]
replicant_argent 01:17 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
I'd borrow Pete's little people and that big bowl of pudding he keeps on the patio, but I am so lazy that way.
You weren't supposed to mention the pudding or the Mila trick...

Damn you people.
[Reply]
bobarian 01:20 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Mr B:
No Puff.
:-)

But I'm always willing to try something new. Send Mila on over and I'll give her a tryout. :-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 01:21 PM 01-13-2011
I went through the toasting the foot method for a couple of years. Then I finally admitted to myself I couldn't tell any difference at all in taste, burn, whatever. It was kind of a neat ritual, but really no more than that for me.

Now I hold fire to the end and puff away (I said puff :-)). I get the sucker lit quicker, save fuel, and find myself to be a happier and better adjusted person. YMMV :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 01:35 PM 01-13-2011
This :-)
[Reply]
Parshooter 01:47 PM 01-13-2011
I toast it, then puff to get it good n' lit.
[Reply]
Powers 01:48 PM 01-13-2011
Most of the time I do not puff but sometimes I do toast and then puff at the very end.

I also like ice cream
[Reply]
RatherUneek 01:54 PM 01-13-2011
I jsut torch it till it's glowing. No puff.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up