Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>hemingway signature (sungrown)
hscmit 01:48 PM 10-05-2010
I went in looking for more 858 sungrowns, they were out of those but the guy behind the counter said they had a box of hemingway signatures with the sungrown wrappers. When I got into the humidor there was only one left in the box and I got it.

Construction: wrapper is oily, with some veins running throughout, there is a fair amount of tooth to the wrapper

Prelight: draw is a little on the tight side, not surprising due to the tapered foot, earthy taste to the draw

First Third: draw is a bit tight, strong chocolate flavor as well as some earth

Draw: opens up and is good within an inch

Burn: nice and sharp

Ash/Smoke: smoke volume increased as the stick burned down. Ash holds steady and would have held longer if I didnt want it in my lap

Second Third: still chocolaty also some nutmeg/cinnamon

Final third: some spice, strength and flavor increase

Strength: med

Flavor: med

Overall Impression: This is a finger burner. Great tasting smooth and really enjoyable. I got the last one but would love to have a couple more

Scoring

Construction:9/10
Prelight: 4/5
First Third: 14/15
Draw: 9/10
Burn: 10/10
Ash / Smoke: 9/10
Second Third: 10/10
Final Third:9/10
Overall impression: 18/20
Total Score: 92/100
[Reply]
CRIMPS 02:16 PM 10-05-2010
Those look so good!
[Reply]
CRIMPS 02:16 PM 10-05-2010
By the way, whats up with the wrapper? Half way through, it looks like it split... then at the end, its unraveling?
[Reply]
hscmit 02:20 PM 10-05-2010
Originally Posted by CRIMPS:
By the way, whats up with the wrapper? Half way through, it looks like it split... then at the end, its unraveling?
it did have a crack in the middle of the wrapper, it had no effect on the draw and didnt go through to the binder.

you can see the end starting to unravel, in the third and fourth pic, once I took the band off it came loose, but I was able to hold it together and finish this beauty.
[Reply]
alwayslit 02:30 PM 10-05-2010
the classics and these are nice smokes.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:30 PM 10-05-2010
I am always a fan of the Heimingway's -- any of them :-)
[Reply]
pennjones 03:10 PM 10-05-2010
Thanks for the review! I agree that this is one delicious smoke!
[Reply]
68TriShield 03:34 PM 10-05-2010
I didn't know made some of these with SG wrappers,I bet it was good. :-)
[Reply]
jcruse64 07:10 PM 10-05-2010
Originally Posted by CRIMPS:
Those look so good!
They are :-). My local let me loose with a partial box. Totally agree with the review, these are great sticks, and a nice twist on the regular cammy line, which are also good.
[Reply]
floydpink 07:11 PM 10-05-2010
Saw a box in Corona a couple days ago. Not bad at 10 bucks as this is a great smoke.
[Reply]
Tobacmon 02:49 AM 10-06-2010
Thanks for the review--job well done. Felt as if I was smoking one with you.
[Reply]
x man 09:37 AM 10-06-2010
This is the 1st time for the hemi sg`s.
The 858`s have been in sg wrappers before
but very ltd.
[Reply]
Jbailey 10:17 AM 10-06-2010
Originally Posted by x man:
but very ltd.
Not sure. I got one I've had for awhile. I believe it came from Tampa Sweethearts, and it does say sungrown on the sticker.
[Reply]
TripleF 10:36 AM 10-06-2010
Originally Posted by x man:
but very ltd.
Yup....first time for the Hemingway SG's. Get 'em while you can, they won't be around long.....especially these original releases. :-)

Great review and pics!! :-)
[Reply]
pennjones 02:57 PM 10-06-2010
Really? Because I also have a hemi sungrown in my humi that I've had for over a year. I had 2, but I smoked the first one.
[Reply]
JackSchwartz 03:09 PM 10-06-2010
I believe the Hemingway Classic Sun Growns have been released before. The 8-5-8 Sun Growns as well (of course). I think this is the first time the Fuente's have released boxes of Hemingway Signature Sun Grown. I know folks have got their hands on Hemingway Signature Sun Grown in the past but I think they were individual cigars handed out at specific Fuente events.
[Reply]
x man 03:14 PM 10-06-2010
Originally Posted by JackSchwartz:
I believe the Hemingway Classic Sun Growns have been released before. The 8-5-8 Sun Growns as well (of course). I think this is the first time the Fuente's have released boxes of Hemingway Signature Sun Grown. I know folks have got their hands on Hemingway Signature Sun Grown in the past but I think they were individual cigars handed out at specific Fuente events.
Of course this is what i meant to say.
[Reply]
vinnyvega 12:53 PM 10-16-2010
This is the first time Fuente has released the classics in a sun grown wrapper. A few years ago, they released under 100(89 I believe) boxes of the signatures in a sun grown wrapper to B&Ms who won some sort of sales contest. I want to say it was in 2004 or 2006.

Both of the latest release are stellar!!!
[Reply]
warren G. 12:36 AM 10-17-2010
I haven't had a smoke in almost 4 days. This is really tempting me, my B&M got plenty to spare :-)
[Reply]
Ranger_B 09:28 PM 10-17-2010
As soon as my B&M got these in he made sure I knew about it. I love these. I just wish they would put a different band or something. Side by side you can see. Now I am waiting on the short story or best seller. Best seller being my go to morning stick. Great review you hit it dead on with that cinnamon. Perfect this time of year.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up