Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Tampa trip...what should we do there?
Newbie_nick 05:37 PM 01-08-2024
Dear BOTL

My wife and I are doing a long, get-away weekend to the Tampa area, and I am looking for feedback/advice on where to go. Honestly, I booked this trip before I realized that Tampa was "Cigar City"! It dawned on me that folks on this forum might have some thoughts on the area. I found El Reloj cigar factory, and a tour there sounds like fun. Is it worth a stop? Where would you go for your first trip? Where would you NOT go?

Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts.

Nick
[Reply]
mahtofire14 05:46 PM 01-08-2024
I have family in Tampa and go often. I have never explored the cigar spots though. I’ll be paying attention to this one also.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:06 PM 01-08-2024
I'd go to Ybor City. Have lunch at the Columbia or Tampa Bay Brewing Company. Check out the local cigar rollers, hit up the Fuente shop, and then get the hell out of there before dark.
[Reply]
Weelok 11:08 PM 01-08-2024
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
I'd go to Ybor City. Have lunch at the Columbia or Tampa Bay Brewing Company. Check out the local cigar rollers, hit up the Fuente shop, and then get the hell out of there before dark.
Hah, definitely hit up Columbia. Great place. Get a Mojito.

One of the best steak houses in the US and I highly recommend you do the tour. Be sure to hit up the dessert in the separate HARRY WAUGH DESSERT ROOM.

https://bernssteakhouse.com/

Corona cigars is a popular night time hang out near the stadium. Good restaurants around that area. https://www.coronacigar.com/tampa-store/

I’ve eaten several times at Kona Grill is good. Has some nice sushi. Eat then have a cigar. Good whiskies and bourbons can be had at the Corona Cigar bar.
[Reply]
T.G 03:54 AM 01-09-2024
Go to the beach. Look around. Exclam loudly "This beach SUCKS compared to SoCal!"

And run like hell.
[Reply]
tsolomon 05:25 AM 01-09-2024
We usually go to King Corona for cigars and then the Columbia Restaurant when we visit Ybor City.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:34 AM 01-09-2024
Hit up elderboy02 (Dan) for some more thoughts, he visits there frequently.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 01:58 PM 01-09-2024
Its fun to walk around Ybor City. Eat at the Columbia and have fun watching the rollers in the little cigar shops. If you bring home some cigars, freeze them. I brought home some beetles once...
[Reply]
elderboy02 02:45 PM 01-09-2024
Ybor City definitely. At night it's like New Orleans. Fun times!

Tabanero Cigars, King Corona, Grand Cathedral are great shops to hit.

Food: Colombia, Tampa Bay Brewing Company, and any of the NY style pizza joints.
[Reply]
Newbie_nick 06:45 PM 01-09-2024
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
I'm not finding much on the Fuente shop. Do they have a factory there or is it just a retail store? Can you share any links?
[Reply]
Newbie_nick 06:52 PM 01-09-2024
I really appreciate all of the feedback, gang! It sounds like Tampa will be a great time!

Has anyone went to the El Reloj factory for a tour? It looks like it is also called JC Newman.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:49 PM 01-09-2024
Originally Posted by Newbie_nick:
I'm not finding much on the Fuente shop. Do they have a factory there or is it just a retail store? Can you share any links?
It's official name is Tampa Sweethearts. Here's a link. It's at 1603 E. 6th Ave.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:47 AM 01-10-2024
I second Dan's recommendation of the Grand Cathedral, super cool place.

Besides cigars, Corona has an outstanding whiskey selection.

[Reply]
Up