Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Entertainment>Your Top Five Underrated Guitarists
Porch Dweller 03:44 PM 04-21-2016
The death of Prince gave me the idea for this thread. These are the guys that in your opinion have amazing skill but don't seem to get lumped up there with the Guitar Gods such as Clapton, Jeff Beck, Hendrix, Van Halen, etc.

Mine are:

1) Robert Fripp. Just an absolute monster on the guitar, with blazing speed and technique.
2) Frank Zappa. Fans of Zappa know just how incredible he was, but mainstream music fans just seem to go "Oh, that 'Don't Eat the Yellow Snow' Guy. Whatever."
3) Rory Gallagher. If there had never been a Clapton or Hendrix he might be a household name like those two are.
4) Prince. As I said in the other thread, his chosen genres of music might have overshadowed his ability to blow the roof off of the house.
5) Adam Jones. His playing with Tool is the very definition of textured.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:51 PM 04-21-2016
I'd have to include John McLaughlin and Ry Cooder on my list. Hell, half the time I mention them, folks say "Who??"

Edit: Can I add Jorma Kaukonen to these?
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 03:55 PM 04-21-2016
Good call on John McLaughlin!
[Reply]
nutcracker 04:01 PM 04-21-2016
Steven Stills
Neil Young
Jesse Cook
George Harrison
Joe Walsh
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 04:03 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
Steven Stills
Neil Young
Jesse Cook
George Harrison
Joe Walsh
I was about this ----><---- close to putting Joe Walsh on my list.
[Reply]
nutcracker 04:07 PM 04-21-2016
Can hear the "life in the fast lane" riff in my head right now
[Reply]
The Poet 04:12 PM 04-21-2016
Stills was outstanding, but I always felt Walsh was too restrained in the Eagles sound. Give me some James Gang though . . . :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 04:19 PM 04-21-2016
Ooo, ooo, ooo . . . Alvin Lee!
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 04:23 PM 04-21-2016
I'd throw in David Gilmour. And, someone has to say, Jerry Garcia (unless he is considered one of the gods and is off the table.)
[Reply]
The Poet 04:29 PM 04-21-2016
For possible reference, there's this.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...rists-20111123
[Reply]
The Poet 05:09 PM 04-21-2016
Re John McLaughlin, he's #68 on the above list, but in the blurb Jeff Beck is quoted as calling him "the best guitarist alive".

Oh, and at #63 I found Johnny Winter, so that finally completes my five.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 05:12 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Stills was outstanding, but I always felt Walsh was too restrained in the Eagles sound. Give me some James Gang though . . . :-)
It's a bummer that classic rock radio only seems to play a handful of Walsh's non-Eagles songs. He has so many great songs from his James Gang and Barnstormer days. Occasional I'll hear something like 'Meadows', 'Ashes, the Rain, and I', or 'The Bomber' on Sirius-XM Deep Tracks and it puts a smile on my face. My wife and I were in the car a few weeks ago and they played 'Meadows'. She said "This is a good song. I wonder why I've never heard it before." Exactly!
[Reply]
icehog3 05:37 PM 04-21-2016
Some awesome choices up there. Couple more off the top of my head.

Richie Blackmore
Kim Thayil
[Reply]
The Poet 05:45 PM 04-21-2016
James, Meadows is a nice balladish song, but not all that guitar heroic. Now THIS . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3lEqVAroX4

Oh, and is that Steve Cropper up there with Joe? Damn!
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:07 PM 04-21-2016
James, Meadows is a nice balladish song, but not all that guitar heroic. Now THIS . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3lEqVAroX4

Oh, and is that Steve Cropper up there with Joe? Damn!
That was cool!
Yeah, I used 'Meadows' just as an example of a great Walsh song you rarely hear. If we're going for solely "guitar heroic" I'd add 'Stop'.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:12 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Some awesome choices up there. Couple more off the top of my head.

Richie Blackmore
Kim Thayil
I don't know if Blackmore's considered underrated; maybe in the U.S. but definitely not the rest of the world. I put him up there firmly in the pantheon of Guitar Gods.
Great call on Thayil. If I made a top 10 list he'd probably make it.
[Reply]
The Poet 06:16 PM 04-21-2016
Now I don't if to Stop or Walk Away. :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:27 PM 04-21-2016
Now I don't if to Stop or Walk Away. :-)
Chose one or you might Turn to Stone. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 07:25 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
I don't know if Blackmore's considered underrated; maybe in the U.S. but definitely not the rest of the world. I put him up there firmly in the pantheon of Guitar Gods.
Yeah, it just seems like the younger generation doesn't recall him the way they do some of the other older greats, but I totally dig where you're coming from.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:45 PM 04-21-2016
Another one just popped into my head: Frank Marino.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up