Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>What other brands cat litter?
badbriar 08:17 AM 05-26-2013
I suspect that preferences for either KL or any of the various types of cigar humidification designed beads (how's that for political correctness) is very much like preferences for different cigars. What is nirvana for one may absolutely suck for some one else. Viva la difference! Best thing is that there are views from both sides here to educate those who follow. Personally, that gives me an out in the event that my first choice flops. RR
[Reply]
pektel 08:25 AM 05-26-2013
Originally Posted by badbriar:
I suspect that preferences for either KL or any of the various types of cigar humidification designed beads (how's that for political correctness) is very much like preferences for different cigars. RR
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that. /lumberg voice

Preferences in cigars is completely subjective. In reference to kl vs. beads, you are trying to argue against proven scientific fact.
[Reply]
ky70 08:52 PM 06-21-2013
Hello guys,
Just wanted to post an update. At this point I'm a beleiver and KL has performed much better than I even hoped. I'm in or around month 4 of using KL through 3 different seasons here in Chicago (started in winter, went through spring, and am now in summer with recent above 80 degree days) and I still have yet to touch my KL in my coolidor (Humidity STILL holding at 65/66). Not exaggerating here, as I literally have not done a thing to my KL since I got the humidity where I wanted it apprx 4 months ago.

I am convinced at this point and to those who frown on the KL, to each their own, but my personal experience voids all the anecdotal evidence I've read against KL.
[Reply]
Jbailey 09:31 PM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by ky70:
Hello guys,
Just wanted to post an update. At this point I'm a beleiver and KL has performed much better than I even hoped. I'm in or around month 4 of using KL through 3 different seasons here in Chicago (started in winter, went through spring, and am now in summer with recent above 80 degree days) and I still have yet to touch my KL in my coolidor (Humidity STILL holding at 65/66). Not exaggerating here, as I literally have not done a thing to my KL since I got the humidity where I wanted it apprx 4 months ago.

I am convinced at this point and to those who frown on the KL, to each their own, but my personal experience voids all the anecdotal evidence I've read against KL.
Keep us posted.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:21 PM 06-21-2013
Anyone tried this brand yet?

[Reply]
Jbailey 11:22 PM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:

Hell Yeah!!!
[Reply]
massphatness 06:32 AM 06-22-2013
I'm still boggled by this. Isn't kl specifically formulated to ABSORB moisture? How does it add moisture back to air in a low humidity environment?
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 10:04 AM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:

I am holding out for the good stuff called ShitiCat. I hear its the best :-)
[Reply]
pektel 10:16 AM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by massphatness:
I'm still boggled by this. Isn't kl specifically formulated to ABSORB moisture? How does it add moisture back to air in a low humidity environment?
From the HCM webiste:

"In order to get the same humidity buffering benefit from kitty litter as from HCM beads, a person would need to use 9 to 14 pounds of kitty litter as compared to one pound of HCM beads. At $50 for a pound of HCM beads and $28 for 14 pounds of kitty litter, it appears at first to be a "value". The problem is, in order for the Kitty litter to work as well as one pound of HCM beads, it needs to be arranged so as to provide 910 square inches of surface area as opposed to 65 square inches of surface area for HCM beads. Are you willing to spare that kind of space in your humidor?

Even at that rate, the kitty litter is far slower reactively than are HCM beads. They can handle the buffering and provide the volume needed, but they take much longer to recover the RH of the conditioned space."

This is from people who have done the math. Not someone who simply added KL to a humidor and watched a hygro.

If you live in an area where the RH doesn't stray too far from your ideal range for your cigars, then the KL may work just fine. You won't catch me with KL in my humis though. Northern MN goes through a little bit of humidity swings between the seasons.
[Reply]
markem 10:20 AM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by pektel:
This is from people who have done the math. Not someone who simply added KL to a humidor and watched a hygro.
It works for him. Why does that bother some people around here so much? If it works well and his sticks are how he likes them, then people should leave him alone.

This is starting to sound like the old Chevy v. Ford ***** fests from the 60s and 70s.
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 11:16 AM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by markem:
If it works well and his sticks are how he likes them, then people should leave him alone.
Preach it :-)
[Reply]
pektel 11:43 AM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by markem:
It works for him. Why does that bother some people around here so much? If it works well and his sticks are how he likes them, then people should leave him alone.
From the HCM webiste:

"In order to get the same humidity buffering benefit from kitty litter as from HCM beads, a person would need to use 9 to 14 pounds of kitty litter as compared to one pound of HCM beads. At $50 for a pound of HCM beads and $28 for 14 pounds of kitty litter, it appears at first to be a "value". The problem is, in order for the Kitty litter to work as well as one pound of HCM beads, it needs to be arranged so as to provide 910 square inches of surface area as opposed to 65 square inches of surface area for HCM beads. Are you willing to spare that kind of space in your humidor?

Even at that rate, the kitty litter is far slower reactively than are HCM beads. They can handle the buffering and provide the volume needed, but they take much longer to recover the RH of the conditioned space."

If you live in an area where the RH doesn't stray too far from your ideal range for your cigars, then the KL may work just fine. You won't catch me with KL in my humis though. Northern MN goes through a little bit of humidity swings between the seasons.
Which is why I added the statement in red above.
[Reply]
ky70 01:21 PM 06-22-2013
Correction, 3 hygrometers...and 3 local meteorologists from 3 local news channels with advanced degrees from the weather institute and experience flying hot air balloons over extended distances in less than ideal weather conditions.:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 01:41 PM 06-22-2013
Chicago's RH is definitely all over the place from season to season, if not day to day. I would not opt for KL in my humidor, but like Mark said, if Ken is happy with it, more power to him.
[Reply]
badbriar 09:22 PM 06-29-2013
My wineador is holding rock solid at 63% humidity after the past month. Personally, I'd try the wet brick if it didn't take up so much room and worked. So long as the humidification source is safe and works well, I couldn't care less what it is. Just happens that the KL only cost me $9 bucks and I've only used approx 1.33# spread out over 5 small trays. Lots left if the need arises. So far, the wineador is much more stable than any of my wooden humidors were. Extremely pleased with results. Appreciate positive info and advice from everyone. :-)
RR
[Reply]
ky70 11:05 PM 07-01-2013
Originally Posted by badbriar:
My wineador is holding rock solid at 63% humidity after the past month. Personally, I'd try the wet brick if it didn't take up so much room and worked. So long as the humidification source is safe and works well, I couldn't care less what it is. Just happens that the KL only cost me $9 bucks and I've only used approx 1.33# spread out over 5 small trays. Lots left if the need arises. So far, the wineador is much more stable than any of my wooden humidors were. Extremely pleased with results. Appreciate positive info and advice from everyone. :-)
RR
Happy to hear it! Let us know how it holds up.
[Reply]
ky70 01:08 AM 11-20-2013
Hello guys,

Originally Posted by Jbailey:
Keep us posted.
Update: I reached about 9 months without having to lift a finger as my humidity held solid between 64-67 in my coolidor using KL. The humidity finally dipped to the very low 60s today so I added distilled water to the KL to try and bring the humidity up a bit. But I'm more than pleased with my results.
[Reply]
Subvet642 06:11 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
I'm sure your cat really doesn't care about the brand you're using when it goes to piss and **** in it.
Yes, but they also scratch in it, too and then they lick themselves clean. I'd rather use something that won't harm them if they ingest any, so we use a corn based litter. For my humidors I use humidity beads.:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:48 AM 11-20-2013
Update: I reached about 9 months without having to lift a finger as my humidity held solid between 64-67 in my coolidor using KL. The humidity finally dipped to the very low 60s today so I added distilled water to the KL to try and bring the humidity up a bit. But I'm more than pleased with my results.
What is the ambient RH in the room where you keep your coolerdor?
[Reply]
ky70 08:24 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
What is the ambient RH in the room where you keep your coolerdor?
Last I checked (a few weeks ago), it was somewhere in the 40s. But I will check again.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up