Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Help with ID on Dupont lighter
lunarose 02:39 PM 05-24-2014
Hi, I have this Dupont lighter that I am 99% sure is authentic, the gentleman it belonged to (my cousin's husband) passed away in '89 so it is at least 24 years old and I imagine fakes were not so much a problem back then. Is it a Line 1 or 2? I do not have papers or a box. What would something like this be worth? Any info would be great help its serial number is BU1439 it has 20u does that mean it is 20k gold? The cap at the bottom has a slot.

Thanks,

Nancy
Attached: DSC_0040.jpg (119.9 KB) DSC_0042.jpg (96.3 KB) DSC_0046.jpg (98.9 KB) 
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:48 PM 05-24-2014
You can email the company with the serial number you have, include pics if you want and they will (eventually) tell you everything you need to know about the lighter. That's the only way you will be able to tell if it's real.

Best of luck!
[Reply]
lunarose 07:53 PM 05-24-2014
Thanks I have emailed them. I would be shocked if it isn't real it was kept in their safe in Italy along with her jewelry and they were not the type to buy it anywhere but a reputable store. I just want to be 100% sure before I try and sell it. Is there a way to tell if it is solid, fill or plated?
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 10:23 AM 05-25-2014
The Greek letter mu, which you refer to as "u", usually indicates a thickness.
[Reply]
markem 10:25 AM 05-25-2014
Originally Posted by lunarose:
Is there a way to tell if it is solid, fill or plated?
The only two ways that I can think of that don't involved huge about of effort is to wait and see what Dupont tells you or take it to a goldsmith.

Good luck with it! Hope it turns out to be all you want.
[Reply]
lunarose 02:40 PM 05-25-2014
Thanks. I emailed Dupont so I am waiting on them. Do you think a jeweler would be able to tell? Would Dupont supply a certificate of authenticity? It probably has been in the safe for at least 25 years and is about 30 years old.
[Reply]
Up