Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>The Official College Hockey Thread
MNSmoker 01:09 PM 10-18-2008
I don't expect anyone to post in this thread. In fact, I don't expect anyone to read this thread. :-) College hockey is a pretty niche sport, but I've followed my Minnesota Gophers relatively close for the past few years.

Last night was my squads season opener, and they took down the St. Cloud Huskies in a 3-2 win on the road. They looked good last night. We have a lot of youth and inexperience on this team, but they played fast and they have a lot of talent. They just need to play more disciplined and keep our guys out of the box. And we need Kangas to have a season identical to last years in the net.

Hopefully Lucia can get these guys to gel early and we can have another good season this year.

GO GOPHERS!!!
[Reply]
icehog3 02:40 PM 10-18-2008
Good luck to the Gophers...except when they play the Spartans! :-)
[Reply]
Jdbwolverines 04:45 PM 10-18-2008
I love college hockey. It is a real shame it doesn't get near the coverage it deserves. A game at Mariucci Arena is pry one of the best atmosphere's for a sporting event that you can find. I hope Michigan can find some redemption form last year and bring home their 10th National Championship.
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 07:13 PM 10-18-2008
I follow college hockey more than NHL in the reg season. I'm a huge NHL playoff fan.

My Badgers can't buy a win. Had Denver down 3 goals last night and gave it away. Might be a long season:-)
[Reply]
Gophernut 08:14 PM 10-18-2008
The Gophers are a young team. We need to find some offense. Last season we couldn't buy a goal. Good young goaltender in Kangas. A couple of freshmen step up, and with Stoa and Bariball getting back to form, the Gophers could have a good season! Of course I look through maroon and gold glasses!
And of course good luck to the Spartans except for:
Sat, Nov 29 Michigan State - - Mariucci Arena 7:07 PM
[Reply]
massphatness 09:25 PM 10-18-2008
BU alum here. I like the college game so much better than the pro.
[Reply]
MNSmoker 10:50 PM 10-18-2008
Originally Posted by Gophernut:
Of course I look through maroon and gold glasses!
Me too. :-)

And of course good luck to the Spartans except for:
Sat, Nov 29 Michigan State - - Mariucci Arena 7:07 PM
:-)

The Gophers won again tonight in our home and home series against SCSU. I was expecting a split in this series, so a sweep to start of the season is a nice surprise.

GO GOPHERS!!!
[Reply]
DrDubzz 10:58 PM 10-18-2008
don't follow it much cause it's never on TV.

Sort of a fan of Colorado College, wanted to attend there for undergrad (but apparently it's 46K a year)
[Reply]
taltos 06:09 AM 10-19-2008
Huge fan of the ECAC as a Dartmouth alum and also a fan of Hockey East as a huge BC fan. Some of the best hockey that I have ever seen comes in the Beanpot Tournament and in the various BC/BU games.
[Reply]
Gophernut 08:21 AM 10-19-2008
Originally Posted by MNSmoker:
The Gophers won again tonight in our home and home series against SCSU. I was expecting a split in this series, so a sweep to start of the season is a nice surprise.

GO GOPHERS!!!
Great game. Looking solid on D with all of the freshman on this team. Good games by Schroeder and Ness. Kangas looks solid again in nets. Thank God. I am glad last year wasn't a fluke.
This team can have a good year, if we can stay away from injuries.:-)
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 08:32 AM 10-19-2008
Badgers:-):-):-)
[Reply]
massphatness 08:54 AM 10-19-2008
Originally Posted by taltos:
a huge BC fan
You are off my Christmas card list.
[Reply]
Gophernut 09:11 AM 10-19-2008
Originally Posted by Beer Doctor:
Badgers:-):-):-)
It should be a good series next weekend. Always a hard played series when the Badgers and Gophers play!
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 11:28 AM 10-20-2008
It should be a good series next weekend. Always a hard played series when the Badgers and Gophers play!
I hope so...I'm not confident with the way we've played. Could use a nice weekend playing Anchorage or something:-)
[Reply]
Gophernut 08:28 AM 10-25-2008
Well it was a good game last night between the Gophers and the Badgers. I know that the refs are cracking down and calling it by the book, but my god, 21 Penalties? All minors? I would say that only about 1/3 of these would have been called last year. This is not fun to watch.
And when did the CCHA decide on using shootouts? I can't wait for the WCHA to follow suit.
[Reply]
MNSmoker 09:02 AM 10-25-2008
Well it was a good game last night between the Gophers and the Badgers. I know that the refs are cracking down and calling it by the book, but my god, 21 Penalties? All minors? I would say that only about 1/3 of these would have been called last year. This is not fun to watch.
And when did the CCHA decide on using shootouts? I can't wait for the WCHA to follow suit.
I was about to post the same response this morning. 21 penalties? This is getting a little ridiculous. If this is what the remainder of the season has in store for us, I'm not too excited. All of these penalties totally disrupts the flow of the game and it turns into who has the better special teams.

Good to see the Gophers get a tie last night though, and it was pretty cool to see Lofquist score his first goal in Wisconsin. I thought it was pretty funny that right after he scored he popped his jersey and then cupped his hand to his ear just like Phil Kessel. Hopefully the Gophers can get a win tonight and sneak out of Madison with 3 points.

Oh, and I had no idea that the CCHA was using shootouts. I wonder how long it will take before the WCHA follows suit.
[Reply]
Gophernut 09:27 AM 10-25-2008
Originally Posted by MNSmoker:
Good to see the Gophers get a tie last night though, and it was pretty cool to see Lofquist score his first goal in Wisconsin. I thought it was pretty funny that right after he scored he popped his jersey and then cupped his hand to his ear just like Phil Kessel. Hopefully the Gophers can get a win tonight and sneak out of Madison with 3 points.
Good to see a kid from Somerset score for the Gophers! WOO HOO!! Did you see the post game interview with Lucia? He said although he was excited for Sam, he didn't like the celebration, and guaranteed we would not see it again!
[Reply]
MNSmoker 06:08 PM 11-02-2008
This weekend was another good weekend for the Gophers. They took 3 out of 4 points against Mankato, and sit atop the WCHA with 10 points. Ryan Stoa has continued his stellar play and leads the WCHA in points scored with 10 and goals scored with 6.

The amount of penalties is still ridiculous. There were 22 penalties total in the first game, and 17 in the second game. This definitely takes away from the game and makes it difficult to watch. If these games continue down this path the entire season, I think I'm going to start watching less and less college hockey. That's pretty sad.

Looking forward to the match up this weekend against New Hampshire. They're undefeated in the Hockey East Division and are 4-1-2 overall. This series should be a good test for the Gophers.
[Reply]
ahc4353 06:42 PM 11-02-2008
Go penn state!!!
[Reply]
MNSmoker 07:11 PM 11-02-2008
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
Go penn state!!!
Al, how's Penn State doing this year? I remember reading on "the other site" that he made the team (congrats again BTW).
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up