Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>How to get started / see if I like pipes?
TheFool 09:40 PM 02-26-2011
I'm a recent cigar smoker and I like the idea of pipes, but I have no idea how to get started. With cigars it was pretty easy. No smoke shops here, but I was out of town and all I had to do was buy a cigar to see what I thought. Pipes seem like they would be more complex to get acquainted with. I guess long story short: Where can I get started for fairly cheap, and what should I know?

- Thanks in advance
[Reply]
jkstewart1 09:44 PM 02-26-2011
Get a cob and some Prince Albert, Carter Hall, or Walnut from a local tobacco outlet or even Wally World. Definitely check out the "Ask an Old Fart" thread for more information than you'll ever need, but you'll be glad you did.

Watch out, the slope gets slippery fast!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 07:33 AM 02-27-2011
:-)
If you can find a retail store that sells corn cobbs or even better a tobacconist that you can buy and ask his/her recommendations, that would be best. You don't need much to start pipe smoking, but it certainly takes more patience than cigars at the beginning. If you can't find a B&M, I'd recommend pipesandcigars.com. Get youself a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob, and maybe a little pipe tobacco sampler that sounds good to you.
[Reply]
OnlyDryReds 01:49 PM 03-03-2011
Starts with a single cob and a 2 oz packet from the B&M, then pretty soon you wonder where the 2 briars came from and what the hell your gonna do with all those tins.....
:-)
[Reply]
AD720 02:04 PM 03-03-2011
You can send me a PM with your address. :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 02:08 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by AD720:
You can send me a PM with your address. :-)
Best advice right there :-) WINNER!
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 09:38 PM 03-25-2011
Im in the same boat, just not sure about finding another slippery slope...
[Reply]
rgrecco 10:28 PM 03-25-2011
Same here... Been debating giving it a try but just dont know where to start...
[Reply]
Thammy 12:44 AM 03-27-2011
I would say go with a couple of cobs and some small samplers for a couple tobaccos.(2 aromatics, 2 English) Though that is just me cause I like both styles, might as well try a variety of different tastes. I know a lot here would disagree with me.

Even though I said cobs if you have the extra money, might as well just get a high quality briar pipe for a better experience. That is just a suggestion though. My advice would be to have patience to get it down pat. The dos and donts of pipes does take some time and practice.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 07:04 AM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by TheFool:
I'm a recent cigar smoker and I like the idea of pipes, but I have no idea how to get started. With cigars it was pretty easy. No smoke shops here, but I was out of town and all I had to do was buy a cigar to see what I thought. Pipes seem like they would be more complex to get acquainted with. I guess long story short: Where can I get started for fairly cheap, and what should I know?

- Thanks in advance
So?
[Reply]
pektel 12:29 PM 03-27-2011
I just ordered a mm gentlemen cob. Now need to get some tobacco. I'm thinking I shoulda bought a pair of cobs now...
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
RevSmoke 03:10 PM 03-27-2011
OK, you got a couple pipes? Now go over to Cornell & Diehl and give them a call. Their website is here. http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/oldindex.html

Here's my suggested sampler.
Burley - #107 Haunted Bookshop or #126 Old Joe Krantz
Virginia - #417p Night Train
English - #416 Planatation Evening
Aromatic - Pick what sounds intriguiging (they use no PG, so their aromatics smoke surprisingly cool)

Of course those are just my opinions.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
AD720 06:32 PM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
So?
Max shot me a message that he tried the Great Outdoors (which is a Field and Stream copy) and liked it.:-)
[Reply]
alfredo_buscatti 04:30 AM 04-01-2011
I agree that if you want superior customer service and the time it takes to deliver it, you can't beat C&D. I think they would deliver a fine sampler.
[Reply]
Up