Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Pro Elite / Elite XC, home of Kimbo to close doors
BengalMan 07:43 PM 10-20-2008
http://mmamania.com/2008/10/20/repor...e-immediately/

Quoteworthy:

“Less than two years following the formation of ProElite, Inc., the group notified employees and fighters Monday it was shutting its doors effective immediately…. ProElite was an entertainment and media company founded in partnership with Showtime Networks and spearheaded by the mixed martial arts promotional brand EliteXC. Representatives for ProElite, EliteXC and Showtime did not return calls for comment.”

Wow … this is a major development in the sport. The author of the article, Josh Gross, is a reliable source so we’re inclined to believe it is accurate. Stay tuned for more details as we attempt to collect more information.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:09 PM 10-20-2008
Found this:

Originally Posted by :
Although EliteXC now is out of the picture, that doesn't necessarily mean that CBS and Showtime are out of the MMA business. Sources have indicated that, having worked with Affliction Entertainment to add Andrei Arlovski and Roy Nelson to the "Heat" event (both are Affliction fighters), there is now the distinct possibility that CBS may look towards a relationship with Affliction to fill the void left by EliteXC's exodus.
I guess Kimblo will have to go back to streetfighing where he belongs. Or he could be marketed as a "special attraction" like Butterbean. :-)
[Reply]
doctorcue 11:47 PM 10-20-2008
Well... this has been coming. With the company laying off staff in weeks/months past; only a matter of time.

I think Kimbo would be great in Over the Top 2. :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 08:48 AM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Found this:

I guess Kimblo will have to go back to streetfighing where he belongs. Or he could be marketed as a "special attraction" like Butterbean. :-)
LoL. Back to beating up bums for Kimbo.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 09:05 AM 10-21-2008
The bigger issue is how do we see more Gina Carano? :-)
[Reply]
boonedoggle 09:09 AM 10-21-2008
personally, I thought it was good entertainment. Another reason to throw a Saturday night party anyways.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 09:34 AM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Good call. I hadn't thought of that.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:48 AM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Hopefully Affliction will see the light and add more women's mma.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 09:56 AM 10-21-2008
They did say that Gina's last fight drew more new viewers to the sport then even Kimblow. :-)

Here is the latest Yahoo! Article, although it doesn't say much about what may happen. It does say that Dana has no intention of signing Kimblow. :-)
[Reply]
kayaker 10:24 AM 10-21-2008
Wow. Thanks for the update Ian. I bet Dana is laughing now.
[Reply]
zmancbr 10:41 AM 10-21-2008
I was just reading that article... that is some crazy stuff... :-)
[Reply]
Up