Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Colibri Shuts Down
Chompers 01:02 PM 01-15-2009
I bought one of the Guiness lighters they make, it works very well for me..
I hope it doesn't stop working or apparently I'll be screwed..
[Reply]
shilala 02:07 PM 01-15-2009
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
How can somebody like this Fleet guy sleep at night? :-)
I imagine he's probably the guy who got handed the dirty job and handled it very poorly because he was afraid of the lashback.
I'm just giving him the benefit of a doubt. :-)
If it's as it looks, my guess is that he's not sleeping at his house, anyways. His phone has to be ringing off the hook and there's a lot of folks with time on their hands who are probably standing at his door.
[Reply]
rsamos 02:25 PM 01-15-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
The link to the video up above tells the whole story. There were two factories that closed and they both dicked the people over the same way. Some dick named James Fleet was in charge.
Not only did everyone show up to find they no longer had a job, Mr. Fleet wasn't decent enough to post a note telling people when they could gather their personal effects. He'll post that whenever he pleases.
I expect a few people will be looking up Mr. Fleet to explain to him how people deserve to be treated. :-)
He's obviously missed his simple human decency classes.
I'm guessing that he's from the same family that makes enema's. Least - it sure seems like he knows how to shove something up someone's ...
[Reply]
FrequenC 02:27 PM 01-15-2009
Originally Posted by rsamos:
I'm guessing that he's from the same family that makes enema's. Least - it sure seems like he knows how to shove something up someone's ...
I see what you did there!!! :-)

Either way, the guy's a dick and needs to be slapped with a lawsuit or a rather large trout!
[Reply]
robertw1249 02:47 PM 01-15-2009
thats just wrong to treat people that way the one colibri ligher that i had never worked good you could bleed it and refill it and talk sweet to it i got to the point where i just got pissed off at it and through it across the parking lot thats what you call tough love :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 04:47 PM 01-15-2009
Originally Posted by MikeyC:
:-)

I swore off their lighters because I've bought a few and they've all stopped working abruptly. Lately I've been buying the new Xikar lighters which are great IMO.

I feel badly for their employees and their families, but I'm sure had they made a better product they would still be in business.
+1. Colibri lighters suck. Xikars are awesome!
[Reply]
MikeyC 05:08 PM 01-15-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
+1. Colibri lighters suck. Xikars are awesome!
I'm dying for the new model with the soft flame, but I haven't managed to get it for the price I want yet on c-bid. :-)
[Reply]
TOB9595 09:20 AM 01-16-2009
WOW!!
Yet another sadness in these times of HURTIN..
Tom
[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 09:32 AM 01-16-2009
Good! Maybe now newbs won't be jipped into buying these pieces of crap! Only one I ever had died within months.....no matter how much I weaked it, never came back to life. That was a long time ago......
[Reply]
STYX&STONED 12:07 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
I have a box of 6 lighters that was going to go out tomorrow. Guess I'll try to fix them myself :-)
I'm sure that wont make anything better:-)
[Reply]
Silound 06:03 PM 01-20-2009
http://www.nationaljewelernetwork.co...f8d78fbbcbc16c

Originally Posted by :
Amid debt, Colibri Group seeks receivership
January 15, 2009

Similar Stories | Topics

Providence, R.I.--A private equity firm is petitioning a Rhode Island court to place jewelry manufacturer The Colibri Group into receivership, a legal action in which a court-appointed receiver takes over the company to handle its assets and run its financial affairs, court papers show.

According to a petition filed on Thursday morning in Providence Superior Court, in Providence, R.I., Founders Equity SBIC, the majority holder of Colibri Group stock, stated that it "is informed and believes that [Colibri Group] is insolvent and unable to meet its obligations as they become due," the petition states.

The Colibri Group also, according to the petition, "is far in arrears in payment of its obligations and there is a danger of dissipation and depreciation of the assets of the defendant."

Colibri Group's board of directors and substantially all shareholders authorized the filing of the petition, the document states, and Colibri Group President James Fleet signed it below a statement that reads, in part, "I...consent to join with [Founders Equity] in seeking the relief sought herein."

Founders Equity is asking the court to appoint a temporary receiver--and eventually a permanent receiver--to take charge of Colibri Group's affairs, assets, estate, effects and property to preserve it all in the interest of creditors.

A hearing on the matter is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. today in Providence Superior Court in Rhode Island, Superior Court spokesman Craig N. Berke confirmed to National Jeweler.

Providence, R.I.-based Colibri Group manufacturers and distributes jewelry, lighters, smoking accessories and clocks, according to the company's Web site.

Its brands include Colibri, Seth Thomas, Dolan Bullock and Krementz.

Colibri Group sells its products through 20,000 retail outlets in the United States, including both chain and independent stores.

The company was founded in 1928, alongside the invention of the world's first automatic lighter.

Editor's note: A spokesman from the Rhode Island Judiciary confirmed to National Jeweler on Jan. 15 that Rhode Island Superior Court Associate Justice Michael A. Silverstein appointed Providence attorney Allan M. Shine as temporary receiver for The Colibri Group. This gives creditors and other interested parties notice that in 20 days, there will be a move to appoint a permanent receiver.

[Reply]
pmp 07:01 PM 01-20-2009
This is not a huge surprise. Colibri probably repaired as many lighters as they produced.

I much prefer vector and lotus.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:13 PM 01-20-2009
Well that sucks, I guess if any of my 4 or so that work flawlessly everytime break down like everyone else's I will have to get something new. :-)
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 02:46 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
The link to the video up above tells the whole story. There were two factories that closed and they both dicked the people over the same way. Some dick named James Fleet was in charge.
Not only did everyone show up to find they no longer had a job, Mr. Fleet wasn't decent enough to post a note telling people when they could gather their personal effects. He'll post that whenever he pleases.
I expect a few people will be looking up Mr. Fleet to explain to him how people deserve to be treated. :-)
He's obviously missed his simple human decency classes.
Obviously this guy has no guts (balls , cojones ) . All it would take is a simple explanation and I'm sure most would understand . Those employees will be unhappy no matter what but the way they were let go just causes alot of anger and resentment . And as a side note , I have 2 Colibris that I don't have any problems with . When they wont light , I bleed them out and I actually do this with my Z-Plus insert as well . Air in the tank can cause them to not light .
[Reply]
ChINaMaN1472 05:14 PM 01-25-2009
An interesting note is that Colibri had the Dupont repair contract. I wonder what's going to happen with that...
[Reply]
jaymz 06:25 PM 01-25-2009
Wow - thats crazy, i just got mine back from repair at the end of last year.
[Reply]
Shadow 04:48 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by ChINaMaN1472:
An interesting note is that Colibri had the Dupont repair contract. I wonder what's going to happen with that...
Lotus now has the repair contract for Duponts:

Lotus MJYK
30 Coronado Road 2nd Floor
Warwick, RI 02886

Telephone: 401-921-5216/5220
Fax: 401-921-5218
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 05:36 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by MikeyC:
I'm dying for the new model with the soft flame, but I haven't managed to get it for the price I want yet on c-bid. :-)
I have the one with the soft flame...save your $$
[Reply]
ChINaMaN1472 05:30 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by Shadow:
Lotus now has the repair contract for Duponts:

Lotus MJYK
30 Coronado Road 2nd Floor
Warwick, RI 02886

Telephone: 401-921-5216/5220
Fax: 401-921-5218
Good to know, thanks for the info.
[Reply]