Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Need some Help for closet/walkin Humi Wine Storage
SilverFox 11:49 AM 01-03-2009

To all my crafty inmates out there. I have just begun the preliminary planning for my combo wine cellar/humi. It will be a walkin (think closet) style I only say walk in cause it will have a door and enough room to stand in.

I have a strange nook (for lack of a better word) in my basement.

It is a triangular nook in the outside wall of my basement that measures 48 by 48 with a 64" base (the Triangle) the height is 78". This will give me 100 cubic feet of storage space interior (98.27 but lets call it 100)

I won't need cooling as it sits on an outside wall and my house is air conditioned, if it goes below 65 I don't have an issue with that.

My base plans are at this point to put wine cubes on the bottom third to half enough for approximately 200 bottles. ( I have researched carefully and wine and cigars are stored and aged at the same conditions so this is a good idea - well at least to me) something like this

From there I am thinking one row of singles drawers along this idea but with spacers for sizing the drawers will have to be near the front or they won't open this is a bit of an issue I haven't got figured out as yet based on the triangular prism shape of things. Ideas here would be appreciated.

Then I would like to put 2 rows of display shelves for open boxes. Something along the below. Couple questions here, I am assuming that I don't have to worry about cross contamination if I keep the boxes open and that it won't hurt the cigars for the boxes to be open assuming conditions are kept up.

The next shelf will be the storage shelf for closed and extra boxes. That will be stacked so these will be straight shelves that I can pile boxes on.

For lighting I am going to go with LED's, nice and bright and no heat plus low power usage.

For humidity I am thinking that the following from Aristocrat will suit my needs

For air movement I was thinking a small ceiling fan like this

It is UL listed for damp locations has a 19 inch diameter and is speed adjustable.

I will panel the interior with Spanish Cedar and the shelves will all be spanish cedar as well. I don't know if I will varnish any of the surfaces or not, maybe drawer fronts and shelf ledges again thoughts.

Given the unique shape and my desire to get it right the planning is key in this one. Any ideas on the drawers or something I have forgotten would be appreciated.

I am hoping to start this in February.

[Reply]
markem 12:10 PM 01-03-2009
You have a small walkin that will have a door and nothing inside is visible from the outside, right?

I'd do wrap around open shelves above the open wine boxes. For singles, I'd get a couple regular humidors and store them on the shelves. Make sure that the shelves are deep enough so you can leave an air gap in the back (don't have the boxes touch the walls). This will aid in circulation.

I'd probably also put a couple small fans on the floor, pointed up at an angle. This will help to reduce dead zones where mold can form.

Keep it simple, especially for now. You can add fancy stuff later.
[Reply]
ahc4353 12:38 PM 01-03-2009
Email sent
[Reply]
SilverFox 01:57 PM 01-03-2009
Originally Posted by vstrommark:
You have a small walkin that will have a door and nothing inside is visible from the outside, right?

I'd do wrap around open shelves above the open wine boxes. For singles, I'd get a couple regular humidors and store them on the shelves. Make sure that the shelves are deep enough so you can leave an air gap in the back (don't have the boxes touch the walls). This will aid in circulation.

I'd probably also put a couple small fans on the floor, pointed up at an angle. This will help to reduce dead zones where mold can form.

Keep it simple, especially for now. You can add fancy stuff later.
Nope the door will be a 28 inch french door mostly glass, so it needs to look good too.
[Reply]
JE3146 02:09 PM 01-03-2009
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
Nope the door will be a 28 inch french door mostly glass, so it needs to look good too.

With your collection, it could be particle board shelving hung with crazy glue and still look good :-)

Draw out a birds eye schematic with some dimensions :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 05:05 PM 01-03-2009
Lol. #2 is right on with that comment!

Put a motion switch for the lights. Ur to cool to flip a switch. :-)
[Reply]
icurrie 05:33 PM 01-03-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
Lol. #2 is right on with that comment!

Put a motion switch for the lights. Ur to cool to flip a switch. :-)

You could actually put in an "in-hinge" light switch so when you open the door the light comes on. Maybe some 24hr mood lighting for effect?
Just my :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 05:49 PM 01-03-2009
Thought about that but wouldn't the light go off when he closes the door as not to lose humidity?
[Reply]
Agent11br 06:56 PM 01-03-2009
Just a thought, but if you are going to have to stud it out at all (a simple drawing would be helpful if you could whip one up) I'd try and run some small ducting channels behind the paneling to circulate more air. Use computer fans linked together on one or two circuits (heck you could just rig an old computer power supply to a bunch of them) and have that plugged into an electronic timer.

I'd also get a nice wireless or remote electric hygrometer & temperature device so you can have a read-out LCD panel on the outside by the door for easy monitoring. I'd also make sure that all the electrical switches and whatnot for fans, lighting, etc. were on the outside of the room again for easy access.
[Reply]
SilverFox 11:07 PM 01-03-2009
Originally Posted by Agent11br:
Just a thought, but if you are going to have to stud it out at all (a simple drawing would be helpful if you could whip one up) I'd try and run some small ducting channels behind the paneling to circulate more air. Use computer fans linked together on one or two circuits (heck you could just rig an old computer power supply to a bunch of them) and have that plugged into an electronic timer.

I'd also get a nice wireless or remote electric hygrometer & temperature device so you can have a read-out LCD panel on the outside by the door for easy monitoring. I'd also make sure that all the electrical switches and whatnot for fans, lighting, etc. were on the outside of the room again for easy access.
That one went straight into the planning notebook.
[Reply]
ahc4353 06:44 AM 01-04-2009
Not only does this guy have a great avatar but some great ideas as well!

Tip of the hat to you sir Rep on the way!

Originally Posted by Agent11br:

[Reply]
Agent11br 08:56 AM 01-04-2009
Thanks ahc4353 and SilverFox, glad I could help!
[Reply]
SilverFox 10:35 AM 01-04-2009
I am working on the drawing, just slow, three kids, painting the house, working like crazy means slooooow planning. But that is ok I am not in a rush and I want it done right. I will post some pics of the recess in the wall as well as the drawing in the coming days. I appreciate all the thoughts. I am going to add some shelves to the interior front wall where the door is to store my scotch as well (Idea courtesy of Al)
[Reply]
dunng 02:25 PM 01-04-2009
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
[I am going to add some shelves to the interior front wall where the door is to store my scotch as well (Idea courtesy of Al)
You mean Scotchy? :-)

(not surprised...)
[Reply]
SilverFox 03:25 PM 01-04-2009
Scotchy Scotch Scotch ............... me likey
[Reply]
HK3- 06:29 PM 01-04-2009
Sounds like a cool project.

Rember when doing a small area, LED lighting is key because it doesn't produce heat.

Heat + Wine and Cigars = Disaster.
[Reply]
shilala 11:25 AM 01-05-2009
Can't wait to see what your area looks like, Shawn.
The main thing I'd do is add a vapor barrier so I could keep my humidity in.
Plastic behind the drywall would do. If the space is in the basement where the walls are cold you could have some serious condensation issues if you don't plan for it. :-)
This is gonna be fun, I can tell. :-)
[Reply]
SilverFox 11:30 AM 01-05-2009
Hey Scott,

Main walls (outside walls are all sealed) the front wall is not built as yet but I was planning on insulating and vapor barrier anyway (insulation just to prevent large temp swings not that I ever have any) and the vapor barrier to keep the RH in. I am hoping that paneling in spanish cedar will help prevent any condensation issues.

I have not thought on the floor yet but I am thinking of just using rubberized flooring.

I have started a rough up on a 3D modeling software, more for conceptual than actual measured. I will do the actual on paper (I am old school that way)

I wouldn't mind your input on drawers Mr Shilala, design thoughts hardware etc, that goes for all you handy inmates not just Scott.
[Reply]
ahc4353 11:43 AM 01-05-2009
I'm sure you had this covered but just in case......

Any metal fixtures inside the walk-in humidor (ie: door hinges, doorknobs, etc.) should be made from brass so that they do not rust or tarnish from the humidity.
[Reply]
SilverFox 11:52 AM 01-05-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
I'm sure you had this covered but just in case......

Any metal fixtures inside the walk-in humidor (ie: door hinges, doorknobs, etc.) should be made from brass so that they do not rust or tarnish from the humidity.
Nope didn't think of that, would brushed stainless work? I am not a brass fan
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up