Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Punch or Cut?
ucla695 03:48 PM 11-09-2008
Cut.
[Reply]
WyGuy 06:26 AM 11-13-2008
I personally don't even own a punch, so for the most part im strictly a cut guy. However, if a buddy or someone has a punch available i'll probably use it just because it's something different. Nice to change things every now and then.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
alley00p 01:51 PM 11-15-2008
I tend to cut up to 55 RG and punch anything larger. I like to punch the Taboo Twist Toros that are 58's - I like the amount of smoke I get and can control it if neccessary by opening up the opening.

I think it depends on the draw; I've punched a stick that had lousy draw and ended up cutting it to be able to finish it.

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
nozero 01:59 PM 11-15-2008
Palio cut most of the time, but I use a punch occasionally.

I'd like to see a demo of this "pinch" method?
[Reply]
hoax 02:45 PM 11-15-2008
Punching is far superior for mixed filler cigars, I cut everything else.
[Reply]
Cigarcop 03:30 PM 11-15-2008
I usually cut but have been known to punch.
[Reply]
Cigary 03:47 PM 11-15-2008
I bought a Boston V cutter 10 years ago and it still cuts like it did on the first day. l love the V cut as it is deep enough to pull the smoke and clean enough because of the surgical cut it gives. For the $110 I paid for it I would hope to shout!
[Reply]
NewCigarGuy 09:14 PM 12-28-2008
I always go with a cut. V or straight simply depends on my mood at the time. I do enjoy the V cut though.
[Reply]
MikeyC 09:41 PM 12-28-2008
Originally Posted by NewCigarGuy:
I always go with a cut. V or straight simply depends on my mood at the time. I do enjoy the V cut though.
:-)

I enjoy a v-cut but most of the time I just straight cut.
[Reply]
Agent11br 07:43 AM 12-29-2008
Either, though mostly I cut. I'm with everyone else on punching for larger RG
[Reply]
Studebaker 09:30 AM 12-29-2008
I used a punch for the first time a couple of months ago, and now I punch all the time except for cutting the occasional torpedo. I like the draw better with the punch.
[Reply]
gorob23 12:33 PM 12-29-2008
Originally Posted by zemekone:
back when i use to smoke the bigger RGs i use to punch, but now im strictly a cut guy...

How about you?
oh my gosh I was worried!!! I thought those were my only two choices of how you were going to take me out tonight:-) Don't forget I have seen you arm wrestle. First the taunting then you drop the hammer :-)

Rob :-)
[Reply]
foomanto 05:30 PM 12-29-2008
i like the punch never had a problem with it. i have cut and v cut a few times but i like the punch better.
[Reply]
eber 08:06 PM 01-11-2009
I used to use a punch and a V cut when I first started mainly because I was afraid of cutting too much of the cap off when using a straight cut, now I am more used to it and really prefer the straight cut to the punch or the V
[Reply]
Cigary 09:03 PM 01-11-2009
I cut with a Xicar and V cut with a BostonCutter.
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 09:04 PM 01-11-2009
cut
[Reply]
Ratters 09:22 PM 01-11-2009
Cranial Screw Top, of course. :-)

I developed it after watching with horror what some people did to the caps of their cigars, lopping off 1/8" or more. I frequently see people cutting off almost the entire cap to the cigar. I've found that cutting a cigar this way leaves a nice intact cap and reduces the amount of unraveling problems I had before using this method.

Step one:
Find a cigar that has a nice rounded cap for best results. Will not work on torpedo or belicoso cigars, though I confess I have never tried.

Step two:
Place cutter gently and barely into the sides of the top of cap. While holding the cutter there, rotate the cigar.

Step three:
Peel off the cap. The cap should just pop off with the cutter, I left a tad bit uncut to show that the cap is coming off but there was no filler cut at all.

Final result:
Should be a very clean cut of just the cap without destroying any filler and leaving the remainder of the cap intact to avoid unraveling of the wrapper.

And you get bonus satisfaction points for knowing where the name comes from. :groucho:
[Reply]
skyhigh340 10:25 PM 01-11-2009
Punch. Unless it is a very small ring gauge then I v-cut.:-)
[Reply]
groogs 10:59 PM 01-11-2009
Originally Posted by Ratters:
Cranial Screw Top, of course. :-)

I developed it after watching with horror what some people did to the caps of their cigars, lopping off 1/8" or more. I frequently see people cutting off almost the entire cap to the cigar. I've found that cutting a cigar this way leaves a nice intact cap and reduces the amount of unraveling problems I had before using this method.

Step one:
Find a cigar that has a nice rounded cap for best results. Will not work on torpedo or belicoso cigars, though I confess I have never tried.

Step two:
Place cutter gently and barely into the sides of the top of cap. While holding the cutter there, rotate the cigar.

Step three:
Peel off the cap. The cap should just pop off with the cutter, I left a tad bit uncut to show that the cap is coming off but there was no filler cut at all.

Final result:
Should be a very clean cut of just the cap without destroying any filler and leaving the remainder of the cap intact to avoid unraveling of the wrapper.

And you get bonus satisfaction points for knowing where the name comes from. :groucho:
I have been using Ratter's method for quite some time without fail. If you have not tried it, I suggest you get on board, it delivers one of the best cuts possible IMO.
[Reply]
totallytentative 11:24 PM 01-11-2009
I was mostly cutting before, but now I find myself punching first if possible, mostly because I prefer my draw a bit on the tighter side. I figure if it's too tight I can lop off more with the cutter afterwards, but if I open it up too much first there's no going back. Also, I find punching better on those cigars with the really squared-off caps.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Up