Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>New Boy Humi with Crystals Problem
niallac 07:20 PM 01-29-2009
niallac is on a distinguished road

Default Aloha from Scotland
Hello,
I am a new member from Edinburgh Scotland. I am a cigar smoker (surprise) and enjoy, Montecristos, Cuabas, R y J, and one or two other brands of cigar (not so much the Cohiba, I am Scottish...) on an occasional basis.

As, I imagine, with a lot of new members, I am joining with a specific question in mind, so I will cut to the chase and ask said question: I've been thinking for a while that it would be nice to have a few cigars stored for special occasions (as opposed to having to buy them on spec) and as such I have recently constructed a 'tupperdor'. As I understand it, all one needs to maintain an effective humidor is a suitable container, a hygrometer, and some sort of controlled humidification source. To this end, I have purchased a 4 litre (1 gallon) 'Lock 'n' Lock' food storage container, some acrylic polymer crystals (from a reputable eBay supplier) and a smaller (180ml) 'Lock 'n' Lock' food container to use as the humidifier, and some distilled water from the local model shop (they use it for steam engines, apparently). I assembled the whole thing a few days ago, including a well ventilated pine shelf for the cigars, and left the whole thing with my (salt-calibrated, twice for good measure) hygrometer and waited.

Initially, it all looked good - humidity slowly climbed from around the 50% background level here towards 70% and, as expected, stayed there. For a day or so. Since then, humidity has climbed inexorably to 80%, and stayed there. Imagine my horror! I can only imagine that this is too much for storing cigars, and so haven't bought any to store. I've tried covering about 50% of the holes in my humidification device, but this only succeeds in delaying the rate at which humidity gets to 80%. I've also removed the silicone seal from the lid of my tupperdor, in case it was 'too efficient' but this has no effect. Should I be looking for a refund from the seller of the crystals?

All and any advice would be gratefully received. As I understand it, the crystal-based humidifier that I have does not (or should not) need propylene glycol to regulate humidity.

Thanks,

Niall :-)
[Reply]
AD720 07:27 PM 01-29-2009
With nothing in the box to "soak up" the humidity I am not surprised that it climbed so high. Try putting some empty cigar boxes (or even cigars) in there and that should bring it down.
[Reply]
bobarian 07:36 PM 01-29-2009
I second the idea of storing your cigars in a box inside the tupperdor. A cabinet or SLB(Sliding Lid Box) is preferable to a dress box. Dump the pine shelf, pine is very aromatic, spanish cedar boxes are preferred. You should be able to get a box at your local shop. Depending on the type of crystals, you may have gotten them too wet. Take them out and let them dry a bit. Be sure you have the type of crystals that will absorb as well as release humidity. Once you have things stabilized you will need to open your tupperdor once a week or so. :-)
[Reply]
acruce 07:55 PM 01-29-2009
Or you can just put some blocks of spanish cedar which you should be able to get at your local B&M. I have a piece of tupper ware I use for extra storage and I have a few cedar blocks I added . It helps regulate humidity and gives that nice cedar smell.:-)
[Reply]
pmp 10:27 AM 02-01-2009
Originally Posted by niallac:
niallac is on a distinguished road

Default Aloha from Scotland
Hello,
I am a new member from Edinburgh Scotland. I am a cigar smoker (surprise) and enjoy, Montecristos, Cuabas, R y J, and one or two other brands of cigar (not so much the Cohiba, I am Scottish...) on an occasional basis.

As, I imagine, with a lot of new members, I am joining with a specific question in mind, so I will cut to the chase and ask said question: I've been thinking for a while that it would be nice to have a few cigars stored for special occasions (as opposed to having to buy them on spec) and as such I have recently constructed a 'tupperdor'. As I understand it, all one needs to maintain an effective humidor is a suitable container, a hygrometer, and some sort of controlled humidification source. To this end, I have purchased a 4 litre (1 gallon) 'Lock 'n' Lock' food storage container, some acrylic polymer crystals (from a reputable eBay supplier) and a smaller (180ml) 'Lock 'n' Lock' food container to use as the humidifier, and some distilled water from the local model shop (they use it for steam engines, apparently). I assembled the whole thing a few days ago, including a well ventilated pine shelf for the cigars, and left the whole thing with my (salt-calibrated, twice for good measure) hygrometer and waited.

Initially, it all looked good - humidity slowly climbed from around the 50% background level here towards 70% and, as expected, stayed there. For a day or so. Since then, humidity has climbed inexorably to 80%, and stayed there. Imagine my horror! I can only imagine that this is too much for storing cigars, and so haven't bought any to store. I've tried covering about 50% of the holes in my humidification device, but this only succeeds in delaying the rate at which humidity gets to 80%. I've also removed the silicone seal from the lid of my tupperdor, in case it was 'too efficient' but this has no effect. Should I be looking for a refund from the seller of the crystals?

All and any advice would be gratefully received. As I understand it, the crystal-based humidifier that I have does not (or should not) need propylene glycol to regulate humidity.

Thanks,

Niall :-)
What type of crystals did you get? I hear this quite frequently. I'm looking into purchasing some of the appropriate cigar crystals in bulk to stock on my website but so far I haven't found ones that are as good as what is being used in the crystal gel humidifiers.

On another note I am amazed at how popular the gel humidification is right now. I used to see 100 threads a day on beads(not here but elsewhere) now it seems like everyone has shifted to crystal gel.
[Reply]
Volt 10:34 AM 02-01-2009
got to say, while I never tried the gel stuff, Scott's beads rule :-). I second what most have said. Dump the pine, if the proper tray are not avalable to you they are faily cheap at a few sites, Until you get some wood/and or cigars the RH may stay a bit high.

Many prefer 70%, but if you have burn issues try 65%. I find they burn more evenly and taste a bit better.

BTW, welcome to our happy little home.
[Reply]
scooter 11:11 AM 02-01-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I second the idea of storing your cigars in a box inside the tupperdor. A cabinet or SLB(Sliding Lid Box) is preferable to a dress box. Dump the pine shelf, pine is very aromatic, spanish cedar boxes are preferred. You should be able to get a box at your local shop. Depending on the type of crystals, you may have gotten them too wet. Take them out and let them dry a bit. Be sure you have the type of crystals that will absorb as well as release humidity. Once you have things stabilized you will need to open your tupperdor once a week or so. :-)
This is great advice! You might also try some beads from Scott or heartfelt, both work.
[Reply]
Up