Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Antique Humidor Question
TomHagen 12:09 AM 01-29-2009
I can land this antique humi for about $65 and a half-hour drive. Anyone know about antique humi's like these??

Collectors piece?
Functional?
Copper Humi experience?
Worth it?

Any input ASAP would be helpful.

Thanks.
Attached:
[Reply]
ScottishSmoker 01:33 AM 01-29-2009
Hell, for $65.00...whether it holds humidity or not, that is just a cool old piece of furniture to decorate you favorite smoking place with...I would pick it up....
[Reply]
JaKaacH 01:36 AM 01-29-2009
I would get it if it was that close. Looks like its in great shape.
[Reply]
bob staebell 06:34 AM 01-29-2009
Looks to be in great shape. The copper is either new or really cleaned up. Most of the ones I have seen had significant oxidation. Cut up apples were a common method of humidification back then & the acid would react with the copper. Beads would work nicely for humidification.

It was originally designed for storing pipe tobacco. Many were built in the 1920's-1940's. Copper lining or milk glass was common. The copper often was "folded" at the front edge to create a fairly good seal.

That is a very reasonable price. In the heyday of the cigar boom in the mid 90's, it would have gone for much much more.

Cheers,
Bob Staebell
[Reply]
RGD. 07:04 AM 01-29-2009
What Bob said. Even with the copper cleaned up, unless the person was really anal - I'd expect to see some minor pitting and staining, esp in the corners and edges.
On the other hand, cool piece and as long as the door fits properly it could always be sealed in one manner or another.

Ron
[Reply]
Up