Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Sealing small cabinets
Hardcz 10:06 AM 01-11-2009
I just purchased a few counter top humi's... used in gas stations, bars, etc... made from mahogany. They seem to be put together well, save for the back, which is maybe a 1/4 inch piece of wood that isn't sealed fully.

Hoping to get some idea's on what would be best to use to seal the cracks... should I use silicone, find other pieces of wood, etc...

Thanks for looking.

Dan
[Reply]
FrequenC 10:18 AM 01-11-2009
Originally Posted by Hardcz:
I just purchased a few counter top humi's... used in gas stations, bars, etc... made from mahogany. They seem to be put together well, save for the back, which is maybe a 1/4 inch piece of wood that isn't sealed fully.

Hoping to get some idea's on what would be best to use to seal the cracks... should I use silicone, find other pieces of wood, etc...

Thanks for looking.

Dan
Depends on the extent of the cracks, toss some pics up if you can. It might be better to just replace the entire back piece of wood or just seal it, just depends on the space really as well as how much you're willing to spend (time and money wise).
[Reply]
Hardcz 10:19 AM 01-11-2009
It's not that the wood is cracked on the back, just the edges.... say you have a rectangle, and you put the piece of wood on the back, nail it down in a few places... though you can still see it's not a super tight seal, and if you look inside you can see a little light around the edges.
[Reply]
FrequenC 10:24 AM 01-11-2009
Personally, if the back piece can be removed easily enough I'd replace it entirely and use an adhesive to create a tighter seal. However, like I said it's all up to how much you're willing to spend. If you just want to seal up what's on there, then you can use a thin bead of something like clear GE silicone II caulk.
[Reply]
md4958 10:24 AM 01-11-2009
food-grade silicone perhaps?
[Reply]
Up