Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>cheaphumidors.com purchases??
lostark374 12:58 AM 01-24-2009
Guys I know i'm a nobody here but I thought I would share my thoughts on all of this.

There is not one single vendor out there that has a 100% satisfaction rate... maybe you just haven’t found the one person that wasn’t happy.. But they do exist.

There are people in this world that will never be satisfied and that’s a fact. You need to look at a vendor’s track record as a whole and not jump on a bandwagon because one person has a horror story to tell.

I can all but guarantee that in that horror stories you being a third person will never have the entire story from both sides. Thus never be totally informed.

Also people you need to remember when ordering a natural product (a wood humidor or a cigar) that it may or may not have color variations and different textures. This is not the fault of the manufacturer but most still replace or discount the item based on that. I have not seen pictures or images of the damage but i’m sure it was enough for anyone to complain .... if you believe that you have never done customer service.

As for me I will look at an overall rating or ask people that I trust for an HONEST opinion of any dealings they have had with a vendor.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:07 AM 01-24-2009
Originally Posted by lostark374:
I can all but guarantee that in that horror stories you being a third person will never have the entire story from both sides. Thus never be totally informed.

:-)
Exactly...."I know a guy who got bad service" ain't a review, it's an anecdote.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 10:47 PM 01-25-2009
I purchased the Tuscany Cigar Humidor from CH back in August of 2005 without a hitch. Been happy with it eversince (although I've outgrown it and it now sits near El Cooliador):-)

[Reply]
SeanGAR 06:28 AM 01-26-2009
Seems to me that a lot of issues result from poor communication. Pictures are very helpful to the retailer if the purchaser is complaining about some aspect of the purchase.

In the case at the other place, the guy received a unit damaged on transit. What did he do? First thing, season it. Hello ..... the box was crushed, this was obviously shipping damage .. you season it for means you plan on keeping it. Bugs Bunny said it well.

In the other case, although it was suggested that the damage was during manufacturing, a crushed corner sounds more like shipping damage to me, which is probably why filing a claim with the shipper was one of the options. If the OP provided pictures of the shipping container and the unit, the seller would know immediately what the scoop is.

I've purchased from cheaphumidors many times with no problems to report. I've purchased from Thompsons once and was annoyed with random phone calls from those idiots for months. As well, their house brand cigars resoundingly suck. I should have known better on Thompsons .. but I saw a "deal" that was too good to turn down. Their service also sucked, the cigars arrived very dry, the shipment was very slow, and their house brand cigars sucked ... reeking of ammonia was the least of their faults.

Thompsons is a place that I will avoid like the plague forever. They sometimes send me catalogs ... I toss them immediately. Cheaphumidors is one of the first places that I look for things that they sell. YMMV.

I have a friend who is anal about anything that he buys. To the point that he bugs the **** out of me. I would hate to be a retailer with him as a customer. I saw what he complained about once with an ebay purchase. I just laughed ... it (the problem) would not have bothered me one bit, but he was pretty much foaming at the mouth over it.
[Reply]
TomHagen 11:26 AM 01-26-2009
I am getting in on this discussion late, but I have had a constant question nagging me...

Do these humidors (at cheap humidors.com et. al) have spanish cedar veneer or solid pieces??

It is very hard to tell the difference unless you really disect the wood. I have refurbished a few humi's in the last year and have found many (most) mass-produced humi's only use a very thin sheet of spanish cedar covering all sides of the interior. These were NOT fake humi's, but nicely appointed, yet "made in china" average variety humis - nice seals etc.

My second question, where can one find inexpensive humi's/cabinets, with solid thicker (ex. 1/4 inch cedar) without this veneer garbage??

here is an example of a humi I refurb'ed... all veneer, great seal, good aroma etc...

gave this to a friend who really digs it.

My personal desktop has solid cedar 'planks' inserted all around the bottom, and the top about
3/8th inch thick, with solid cedar top & bottom.
Attached:
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up