Discussion>First Pipe Experience
SaltyMcGee 08:55 PM 07-14-2010
I could get used to this. :-)
[Reply]
JaKaacH 11:33 PM 07-14-2010
Tell us more. What pipe, what tobacco?
[Reply]
SaltyMcGee 11:43 PM 07-14-2010
Just a straight up corn cob. Read that's best for the Noobs.

There's a great B+M in town called Pipes & Pleasures, and I had a recommended house blend called "Johnny Mocha." Very nice!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 11:49 PM 07-14-2010
Welcome to the next slope!! Enjoy!
[Reply]
SaltyMcGee 11:53 PM 07-14-2010
Just what I need, another slope...

[Reply]
SaltyMcGee 10:09 AM 07-15-2010
Now I need to figure out what to get for my first "real" pipe.
[Reply]
OLS 10:15 AM 07-15-2010
Johnny Mocha.....hehe.
That's not a snide comment on the choice at all.
I just think it's funny someone would name a tobacco "Johhny Mocha". :-)
10,000 Nuns and Orphans.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 12:08 PM 07-15-2010
Originally Posted by SaltyMcGee:
Stay with the cob and learn for a few weeks. When you get a "real" pipe you might be surprised you that you like the cob as much as your new "real" pipe.

Don't pass up a good deal though if find one.

Ebay is a great place to get good deals on estate pipes.
Also the Bjarne classic that Tim (RX2010) has listed in the WTS forum is a good deal too/
[Reply]
Mister Moo 02:54 PM 07-15-2010
Originally Posted by SaltyMcGee:
Saltz... a cob IS a real pipe. Cobs can be GREAT pipes, particularly with something called Johnny Mocha (which is probably a coffee/chocolate topped burley - which is probably practically perfect in a cob).

You are on a very good track. Many pipe smokes have said, "It only gets better from Johnny Mocha on and Johnny Mocha ain't half bad."

Seriously. I got some kind of jones for a burley/coffee blend called Gettysburg. I usually hate aromatic tobaccos but this stuff just makes me feel great. Anyhow, point is, it NEVER tastes or smells better than from a $4.00 cob. Go figure.
[Reply]
SaltyMcGee 03:03 PM 07-15-2010
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
Saltz... a cob IS a real pipe. Cobs can be GREAT pipes, particularly with something called Johnny Mocha (which is probably a coffee/chocolate topped burley - which is probably practically perfect in a cob).

You are on a very good track. Many pipe smokes have said, "It only gets better from Johnny Mocha on and Johnny Mocha ain't half bad."

Seriously. I got some kind of jones for a burley/coffee blend called Gettysburg. I usually hate aromatic tobaccos but this stuff just makes me feel great. Anyhow, point is, it NEVER tastes or smells better than from a $4.00 cob. Go figure.
No I get that. I guess I meant that part of the fun of this slope seems to be collecting different and interesting pipes. I realize there's nothing wrong with the cob, I'm just looking forward to that aspect of the hobby. :-)
[Reply]
BigFrank 04:12 PM 07-15-2010
Even pipe smokers who are "seasoned" still keep cob pipes. I do myself for new blends. And aromatics. Glad to hear you found something you enjoyed first time around. Most guys try tobacco that is total crap and leaves a bad taste in their mouth, literally.
[Reply]
Up