Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>travel humidor project?
Devanmc 10:26 AM 12-30-2010
picked this up at a garage sale over the summer...

just ran across it again while cleaning. Im thinking this could turn into a rather awesome travel humidor. good idea or bad?

also, suggestions on how to do it right...
[Reply]
Ogre 10:30 AM 12-30-2010
is the case air tight??? I think it would work great.
[Reply]
Devanmc 10:32 AM 12-30-2010
no but that can be very easily fixed with a flight case like this
[Reply]
Devanmc 11:36 AM 12-30-2010

now i really need advice for properly removing glue from the wood or what to do about it?
[Reply]
babybob2k 11:43 AM 12-30-2010
Mineral spirits or denatured alcohol would be the best bet for getting it off without screwing with the wood.

Are you going to line it with something else, or just make it air tight and use it as is? If your going to re-line it, does the rest of the stuff really need to come off?
[Reply]
Devanmc 11:48 AM 12-30-2010
idk about the rest of the stuff, As i haven't decided yet. As you could see from the first pics, the thick foam did need to go.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 11:56 AM 12-30-2010
Is there any odor to the case? Its hard to tell with the pic how thick the wood is thats left. If you could just lightly sand the inside and then find some thin cedar from boxes I would just line it and check for air tightness. If you are truly just talking using it as a temp travel case I would just find some tuperware that fits and get some beads and call it a day. Good luck looks like a good project
[Reply]
Devanmc 12:03 PM 12-30-2010

pretty thin, but a case of this type is very strong. Also, no noticeable odors
[Reply]
guitar4001 12:12 PM 12-30-2010
looks cool. i would just lay cedar in there and call it a day...but that may not be wise.
[Reply]
ATobin 12:13 PM 12-30-2010
"Goo Gone" might help with the glue but it could leave behind an odor. Sanding or even a steel wool could work as well, but covering it up might be your better option.
[Reply]
Chingas 01:58 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by ATobin:
"Goo Gone" might help with the glue but it could leave behind an odor. Sanding or even a steel wool could work as well, but covering it up might be your better option.
:-)

Goo gone is BadAss. WD-40 works well. Wouldn't worry too much about an odor. Let it dry after your done. Then you can water wash with baking soda.

From there you could seal the interior if you're still worried.
[Reply]
Parshooter 02:16 PM 12-30-2010
How you finish the inside or make it air-tight depends on how you are going to use it. If just for weekend herfs, I wouldn't worry about it being air-tight, just put your perfectly stored cigars in ziplocks and they will stay good for days. If you plan on using it for longer than a week, I would try to get it air-tight and use beads or humi packs. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 02:20 PM 12-30-2010
I agree goo gone works good but that odor is intense. I would just line it. Although even a good razor blade will take away the glue pretty quickly and easily. Stick a flash light in there (preferably an LED) and see how good/bad it seals.
[Reply]
jonumberone 02:26 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by Devanmc:
no but that can be very easily fixed with a flight case like this
I'm interested in knowing how this is accomplished!
[Reply]
Chingas 02:29 PM 12-30-2010
You can also try a blow dryer or a small iron. Both will loosen the glue with no stink!:-)

I use a heat gun with good results.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 02:30 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
I'm interested in knowing how this is accomplished!
A quick strip of weather stripping or cut and fit cedar to overlap just as in your humidor. A good silicon sealant would work too.

Just my :-)
[Reply]
DropTheE 02:42 PM 12-30-2010
One of those shark steamer cleaner things might work to soften up the glue and then scrape it off with a razorblade.

Alot of travel humidors have foam insterts, perhaps if you were able to find a nice bed of solid foam and then use pick and pluck to make your cigar cradles. Sporting goods stores are pretty good about carrying pick and pluck in their gun departments.

If it is an anvil case, those are really good about keeping the water out anyway, I have had rain fall on my anvil cases and the inside stays dry. I don't see you leaving your cigars out in the rain very often. Great looking case, outside has some attitude. A great sign of any road case.
[Reply]
Devanmc 03:02 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by Ranger_B:
A quick strip of weather stripping or cut and fit cedar to overlap just as in your humidor. A good silicon sealant would work too.

Just my :-)
:-) rubber was the plan if needed

thanks for the input guys. Im going to pull out my heat gun and razor tonight. see where that takes me.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 08:14 AM 12-31-2010
I like this. I have had a similar idea as well.
[Reply]
tobii3 08:35 AM 12-31-2010
be careful with the heat gun and the wood!!!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up